Best Hitchcock?

Frenzy is a brilliant last hurrah from a tired director almost out of time.
It has the energy of his earlier films and returns to his classic themes - sex, murder, innocent man on the run.
Of the 4 films he made after Marnie, this is the only one that remotely does his genius justice.
I agree Frenzy is Lovvvvvvvellllllllyyyy!

Got a compulsion to watch Rear Window but not got it in DVD šŸ™
It's on Sky if you've got it. As is Psycho, the Birds, Marnie and Vertigo. The Lady Vanishes is on iplayer and The man who knew to much is on TCM this week. Never seen Marnie or the man who knew to much. Are they good?

It's on Sky if you've got it. As is Psycho, the Birds, Marnie and Vertigo. The Lady Vanishes is on iplayer and The man who knew to much is on TCM this week. Never seen Marnie or the man who knew to much. Are they good?
I watched the Lady Vanishes last week - superb imo.
...not that the others aren't too mind!
Got a compulsion to watch Rear Window but not got it in DVD šŸ™
Probably get it on a streaming service? Or ebay if you're going to be in a while.

Last edited:
I was watching Vertigo the other night and almost shat meself at the end with the nun! :lol: :oops:
Anyway, it's a class film but I think North By Northwest could be his best? Got a box set with a load more to go through. Any fans on here of the chubby genius?

His career is very varied so it can depend on what you like or are in the mood for. I think Vertigo is his best but North By Northwest is an absolutely joyous brilliant thriller which I never tire of watching. Hitch from 1954 to about 1960 takes some beating

Marnie is good. A psychological drama. Tippi Hedren and Sean Connery. It was a flop when it came out but I liked it. Probably a 2nd tier Hitchcock, though.

The Man Who Knew Too Much. It's such a long time since I saw the original 1934 version I can't actually remember it. The 1956 remake is not a film I enjoyed. As much as I adore Jimmy Stewart, Doris Day is unwatchable. She can't act, has zero chemistry with Stewart and she goes and bloody sings!
The kid in the film is annoying as fuck, as well.

His career is very varied so it can depend on what you like or are in the mood for. I think Vertigo is his best but North By Northwest is an absolutely joyous brilliant thriller which I never tire of watching. Hitch from 1954 to about 1960 takes some beating
Yeah. I've watched a lot more since I started this thread. The Trouble With Harry was tremendous fun if a bit daft.
I love his sense of humour.

Marnie is good. A psychological drama. Tippi Hedren and Sean Connery. It was a flop when it came out but I liked it. Probably a 2nd tier Hitchcock, though.

The Man Who Knew Too Much. It's such a long time since I saw the original 1934 version I can't actually remember it. The 1956 remake is not a film I enjoyed. As much as I adore Jimmy Stewart, Doris Day is unwatchable. She can't act, has zero chemistry with Stewart and she goes and bloody sings!
Ah. It's the 1956 version thats on. I'll not bother then.

I have a soft spot for Marnie, probably due to Connery as I think Tippi Hedren is a bit wooden, but it kind of fits with her character.
Have to disagree re Doris in TMWKTM, I think her scenes come across as natural with Jimmy S. She also has a bit of a thankless role in much of it - and personally I love the singing!

Back