Best Hitchcock?

Frenzy is a brilliant last hurrah from a tired director almost out of time.
It has the energy of his earlier films and returns to his classic themes - sex, murder, innocent man on the run.
Of the 4 films he made after Marnie, this is the only one that remotely does his genius justice.
Disagree fella you see classic i see old fashioned and murder by numbers a sorta peeping tom meets crossroads with a dash of hammer horror!As entertainment i much preferred torn curtain and topaz but not by much!Idont like to get snobby about films as its about individul enjoyment after all but i personally would not watch frenzy again!

Last edited:
Frenzy is a brilliant last hurrah from a tired director almost out of time.
It has the energy of his earlier films and returns to his classic themes - sex, murder, innocent man on the run.
Of the 4 films he made after Marnie, this is the only one that remotely does his genius justice.
I'm looking forward to Family Plot in my box set. Obviously I'm leaving it to last. - is it no good?

Disagree fella you see classic i see old fashioned and murder by numbers a sorta peeping tom meets crossroads with a dash of hammer horror!As entertainment i much preferred torn curtain and topaz but not by much!
I liked Torn Curtain on first viewing. Watched it again recently and felt almost everything about it was tired. Script, acting, direction. It has two great set-pieces that are pure Hitchcock - the silent murder and the bus journey. The last 20 minutes are pure guff.

I liked Torn Curtain on first viewing. Watched it again recently and felt almost everything about it was tired. Script, acting, direction. It has two great set-pieces that are pure Hitchcock - the silent murder and the bus journey. The last 20 minutes are pure guff.
Yes he recycled stuff you could see bits of 39 steps in torn curtan!

Started watching this. The young man who runs the motel seems canny
Well-dressed, clean-shaven, an interest in ornithology, looks after his mother. Definite keeper!

Seriously, though, imagine watching this 50 years ago without knowing what's coming. It must have been an incredible atmosphere in the theatre.

Rear Window

Imagine if Grace Kelly was a movie star now, she would be f***ing unreal.
I have to disagree. She was attractive but for me two dimensional as an actress. I've seen the Country Girl which she unbelievably got an Oscar for, basically because she played 'dowdy' and it's one of the most irritating performances ever. Imo.

I was watching Vertigo the other night and almost shat meself at the end with the nun! :lol: :oops:
Anyway, it's a class film but I think North By Northwest could be his best? Got a box set with a load more to go through. Any fans on here of the chubby genius?
North By North West.The Birds should also get a mention.

Back