Best fish & chips you've had?

Status
Not open for further replies.

A long time ago Gray's in Boldon (was family so I would say that as was allowed no other, albeit everything was in Beef Dripping from Henry Colbecks)

More recently The Broadway Fryer in Gosport, near Portsmouth. Only chippy I've been in where he doesn't sell kebabs or pizzas or anything like that, just fish and chips etc.

Reactions: ozz
What's your thoughts on Danielas in Boldon?
Remember when the mother owned the one in Seaburn - now Minchellas- was Notariannis then. Loved the chips but never liked the dish. They use veg oil.
I wouldn’t have minded owning the Boldin shop though.
Coulson's in Carville was always perfect, but when he retired he sold it to an Indian lad and it went south overnight.

The Golden Hind in Marylebone Lane was the only chippy in London that I found even half way acceptable in 12 years of looking.
Golden Hind is Beef Dripping , and a good supplier.

Coulson's in Carville was always perfect, but when he retired he sold it to an Indian lad and it went south overnight.

The Golden Hind in Marylebone Lane was the only chippy in London that I found even half way acceptable in 12 years of looking.
Aye it did. Was utter crap after the Carville one changed hands

Just last year, in the cafe/chippy, in Jacky White's market.
Fried in beef dripping, I'd not tasted fish & chips as good, since the early 1970's, when it was the rule, rather than the exception, to fry fish & chips in beef dripping.
The bloke who's running the chippy, previously had the chippy at Ryhope, at the bottom of the bank, and the fish & chips there, were amazing.
I will try them as soon as I can. Used to be a shit hole.

Remember when the mother owned the one in Seaburn - now Minchellas- was Notariannis then. Loved the chips but never liked the dish. They use veg oil.
I wouldn’t have minded owning the Boldin shop though.

Golden Hind is Beef Dripping , and a good supplier.
You know your onions.

I was at Minchella's in Seaburn yesterday for my first takeout since lockdown. Not as good as I remember it.

Most of the time now I go to Downey's in Roker or the Willow in Wallsend. Gosforth chippy is usually decent as well.

You know your onions.

I was at Minchella's in Seaburn yesterday for my first takeout since lockdown. Not as good as I remember it.

Most of the time now I go to Downey's in Roker or the Willow in Wallsend. Gosforth chippy is usually decent as well.
Last time I had Minchellas it went to the seagulls. I like Downeys. A good Sunderland success story and good value. I used to supply the Willow but never tried it. Gosforth Chippy is good but could do with a good clean up. Very busy shop and good product.
Good info, poor timing. I wish I'd known about in when I lived in bastard Brockley.
We do Brockleys Rock. Really busy shop and always buy the best regardless of price. Never tried it though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back