Best defender ever?

• Thread starter Deleted member 45378
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Phil Neal couldn’t tackle, completely exposed at times playing for England. At Liverpool he had Jimmy Case then Sammy Lee in front of him as protection and the team were dominant anyhow.
He was dangerous going forwards though.
Just about the most decorated English player of all time.
Sounds as though he was shite.

Who in your opinion is the best defender ever to have played the game?

My vote goes to Paolo Maldini
Back 4 of

Lahm Beckenbauer Baresi Maldini
A lot of people under 35, if reddit is anything to go by, think its Sergio Ramos...
nothing makes me more depressed than the football opinions of children that play Fifa ultimate team. The sort that think David Luís is good and Ibrahimović is the ‘best of all time Lol Beast bantz legend’. Those people hurt my soul.

Last edited:
Beckenbauer or Baresi for me, Maldini close behind.

Not suggesting that they're at the same level but I've just noticed that in the 1991/2 La Liga season, Fernando Hierro scored 21 goals and Ronald Koeman got 16,Hi making them 2nd and 4th top scorers in the whole league. Daniel Passarella was another defender who scored a lot of goals, although some of that is down to River Plate in the 70s/early 80s playing something akin to total football in the Argentinian league.
I sometimes write for a football magazine and I pitched an article about this generations lack of a goal scoring iconic libreo. The world had the Kaiser, Passarella, Sammer, Koeman, Hierro for nearly half a century. And then the millennium came and the role died in professional football. There is an argument for saying that Blanc was that type of player, and I accept that, but he was tactically shackled and it clearly wasn’t the same. The idea that defenders must be able to play out from the back universally (which is good imo, reminiscent of Crujff’s Netherlands teams) Has kind of absorbed the practical side of the libiero and stripped back all of the boyish excitement and uniqueness that the aforementioned players brought. It’s a shame because it may be my favourite roll on the field and we haven’t seen it for 2 decades. The article didn’t get picked up, the reason being that some of the younger audience may not know what it is (which ironically was the point of the article in the first place)

I sometimes write for a football magazine and I pitched an article about this generations lack of a goal scoring iconic libreo. The world had the Kaiser, Passarella, Sammer, Koeman, Hierro for nearly half a century. And then the millennium came and the role died in professional football. There is an argument for saying that Blanc was that type of player, and I accept that, but he was tactically shackled and it clearly wasn’t the same. The idea that defenders must be able to play out from the back universally (which is good imo, reminiscent of Crujff’s Netherlands teams) Has kind of absorbed the practical side of the libiero and stripped back all of the boyish excitement and uniqueness that the aforementioned players brought. It’s a shame because it may be my favourite roll on the field and we haven’t seen it for 2 decades. The article didn’t get picked up, the reason being that some of the younger audience may not know what it is (which ironically was the point of the article in the first place)
I used to love seeing CBs make a break and get forward. The amount of times it resulted in goals and dangerous attacks shows it was very hard to defend against. Maybe post your article on here, I'd be interested in reading it

I used to love seeing CBs make a break and get forward. The amount of times it resulted in goals and dangerous attacks shows it was very hard to defend against. Maybe post your article on here, I'd be interested in reading it
I didn’t actually write it only pitched it and since it’s just a bit of fun outside of work I only got about halfway through the research stage when it was rejected, which at this point was a lot of boring formation and passing stats from pre 1960s Italian and Soviet football. I was really excited about it though so may see it through and start a blog for my more less marketable ideas.

Fabio Cannavaro was great defender but Baresi is the best. He glided through games and his positioning and reading of the game makes him the best for me.
Then hacked anyone down who came near him.
Maldini, Moore and Beckenbaur could do everything Baresi did plus they’d win the ball without resorting to hacking players down. Baresi is the emperors new clothes for football hipsters of a certain vintage. He’s undoubtedly a very good player but not great.
Jonathan Woodgate, best I've seen at Newcastle.
If him and King hadn’t been permanently injured Terry would’ve been Upson.

I wouldn’t like to pick between Watson, Todd, Hurley or Bould for us.

Last edited:
Then hacked anyone down who came near him.
Maldini, Moore and Beckenbaur could do everything Baresi did plus they’d win the ball without resorting to hacking players down. Baresi is the emperors new clothes for football hipsters of a certain vintage. He’s undoubtedly a very good player but not great.

If him and King hadn’t been permanently injured Terry would’ve been Upson.

I wouldn’t like to pick between Watson, Todd, Hurley or Bould for us.

Quite a foursome there. Todd for me, I think.

Those Italian boys love to defend. All the names mentioned previous were exceptional. Baresi was before my time but is always mentioned in these questions. Loved Nesta and Cannavaro, but Maldini is the best I’ve seen.

Zanetti was a great player for Inter and the Argies too.

Maldini for me but honourable mentions for Sammer, Kohler, Baresi, Mcgrath. These just players I’ve watched mind!

Maldini for me but honourable mentions for Sammer, Kohler, Baresi, Mcgrath. These just players I’ve watched mind!
Agree with all of these though always thought Sammer was more of defensive midfielder. Best individual performance I saw of these was McGrath for Ireland v Italy in USA 94, unbelievable that day

McGrath was unbelievable, his knees were shot and he still looked a class apart!
I was at the game, was a pleasure to watch an absolute masterclass, it was scorchio as well so not sure where his fitness came from as training for him was reduced to a couple of hours cycling per week due to his knees

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back