Best defender ever?

• Thread starter Deleted member 45378
  • Start date

Particularly when you remember than Djimi Traore played the full 120 minutes for Liverpool.

You look at their team and Alonso and Gerrard aside, it looks dogshit at that level. Hyppia and Carragher were good, but both on the wane. The rest: terrible at that level.
Love this from Bobby Moore.
Jairzinho was was really the player of that World Cup, every defenders nightmare running at them.
The elegance Moore displays as well.
Peerless.

Very, very good defending that. Even had the confidence to allow him into the box to pick the right moment.
Not even close to the best PL defender ever

He f***ing is like. Statistically Liverpool's defence last season was only bettered by United's record-breaking Ferdinand-Vidic one.

He hasn't had the consistency that the Terry's, Ferdinand's and Campbell's have - but he has hit a level in last eighteen months which few defenders in history reach.

Last edited:
You look at their team and Alonso and Gerrard aside, it looks dogshit at that level. Hyppia and Carragher were good, but both on the wane. The rest: terrible at that level.

Carragher was 27 at the time so I'm not sure he was on the wane. But the rest weren't great. They lost Harry Kewell, who on his day could be excellent, early on as well.

Correct.

Terry's so overrated it's unbelievable. I reckon I could have strode about like a full kit wanker anarl if I had Makele in front of me, Carvalho beside me, and Cech behind.

People mention Terry cos he'd put his body on the line and make last ditch tackles etc - well ya need to consider Maldini's words I mentioned above. A defender doing these things has already ballsed up.

It speaks volumes that it was Carvalho that Mourinho took to Chelsea, and not Terry.

Maldini's words only make sense if it's his man, at times Terry used to make last ditch tackles as he was covering for others and that was the only way....FWIW I do believe Terry is overatted :lol: :lol:

Very, very good defending that. Even had the confidence to allow him into the box to pick the right moment.

He f***ing is like. Statistically Liverpool's defence last season was only bettered by United's record-breaking Ferdinand-Vidic one.

He hasn't had the consistency that the Terry's, Ferdinand's and Campbell's have - but he has hit a level in last eighteen months which few defenders in history reach.
Log off man

Log off man

Plenty of people touting him on this thread, think you're in the minority who doesn't rate him.

They're going to smash every record going on points this year and already have won a Champions League (runners-up year before). This is a very special Liverpool team and time to start recognising their players are comparable with greats of other generations, given the team statistics. And he's their best player!

Plenty of people touting him on this thread, think you're in the minority who doesn't rate him.

They're going to smash every record going on points this year and already have won a Champions League (runners-up year before). This is a very special Liverpool team and time to start recognising their players are comparable with greats of other generations, given the team statistics. And he's their best player!
Who'll win 1 of 4 trophies this season

I'll go Laporte is better than VVD then as City won the treble last season and have struggled because hes missed just about all this season

Last edited:
A top 10 or so that I've actually seen play (not on TV) more than once.

Bobby Moore
Charlie Hurley
Paulo Maldini
Franz Beckenbauer
Alan Hansen
Steve Bould
John Terry
Colin Todd
Paul McGrath
Antonio Cabrini (for those who can't remember him; think of an Italian Ashley Cole 35 years before Cole was considered one of the best in his position)

Who'll win 1 of 4 trophies this season

I'll go Laporte is better than VVD then as City won the treble last season and have struggled because hes missed just about all this season

Why did he come second in the B'allon D'or then, in between Messi and Ronaldo? Why is he the first centre back to win player of the year for god knows how long?

His peers rate him, that's why. Reckon they know a bit more about how good he is than you.

We seem to be too focussed on CBs. Of these I would go for Moore, Hansen and Stam, in that order.

But outside of CBs then I would go for Phil Neal, brilliant RB and more or less invented the concept of a wing-back.

Why did he come second in the B'allon D'or then, in between Messi and Ronaldo? Why is he the first centre back to win player of the year for god knows how long?

His peers rate him, that's why. Reckon they know a bit more about how good he is than you.
The media cant get any further up his arse you think he was playing alongside Halford McShane and Collins barely hear any of Liverpool defender getting praised if they keep a clean sheet basically because of VVD

A top 10 or so that I've actually seen play (not on TV) more than once.

Bobby Moore
Charlie Hurley
Paulo Maldini
Franz Beckenbauer
Alan Hansen
Steve Bould
John Terry
Colin Todd
Paul McGrath
Antonio Cabrini (for those who can't remember him; think of an Italian Ashley Cole 35 years before Cole was considered one of the best in his position)
Paul McGarth was top notch

We seem to be too focussed on CBs. Of these I would go for Moore, Hansen and Stam, in that order.

But outside of CBs then I would go for Phil Neal, brilliant RB and more or less invented the concept of a wing-back.
Phil Neal couldn’t tackle, completely exposed at times playing for England. At Liverpool he had Jimmy Case then Sammy Lee in front of him as protection and the team were dominant anyhow.
He was dangerous going forwards though.

Back