Best Day(s) Watching Cricket?

Took my now late dad down to headingley in 2000 for England v West Indies, his first test match, Saw Curtley Ambrose take his 400th wicket, and when Goughy was on a hat trick half the stand emptied to the barrier to go into the pitch, including my dad! Unfortunately it was a 2 in 2 for Goughy

How have Durham’s crowds changed over the years? CC 1992 - now, T20 2003 - now?

Always a difficult thing to judge with the smaller outgrounds in the early days as a 2500 crowd at Park Drive for a SL game was a capacity crowd.

To be honest the CC games have never seemed to attract that many even in the 'glory years' or historical matches ie the aforementioned first game in 92 v Leics or the first game at the Riverside in 95 v Warwicks. It seems that at the start of each new season there is slightly less in attendance than the previous one - I leave you to draw your own conclusions as to why that is.

As for comparing T20 attendances over the year -I'm sure there are others on here who are in a better position to comment than me on that one.:lol:

Always a difficult thing to judge with the smaller outgrounds in the early days as a 2500 crowd at Park Drive for a SL game was a capacity crowd.

To be honest the CC games have never seemed to attract that many even in the 'glory years' or historical matches ie the aforementioned first game in 92 v Leics or the first game at the Riverside in 95 v Warwicks. It seems that at the start of each new season there is slightly less in attendance than the previous one - I leave you to draw your own conclusions as to why that is.

As for comparing T20 attendances over the year -I'm sure there are others on here who are in a better position to comment than me on that one.:lol:
About 6k for 1st SL game at Racecourse v Lancs?? But felt like many more due to the small, close proximity of crowd.
Agree about CC games, never well supported, like most Counties mind.

About 6k for 1st SL game at Racecourse v Lancs?? But felt like many more due to the small, close proximity of crowd.
Agree about CC games, never well supported, like most Counties mind.

And quite a few watching for free at the Lancs game as well.:lol:

True- A couple of seasons ago when we were playing at home to Leics (the one where we had to follow on and ended up beating them) I was sitting next to some Leics supporters and they couldnt believe the big attendance we had that day (about 1000).

Day 1 of the Perth test in the 2017/8 ashes series.

Bit of a random one but it was my first ever overseas game. After months of excitement and waiting we won the toss and actually played well! I was a bit worried that being 2-0 down we’d be shite, but we batted well and ended the day around 300-4. I even thought after the day we’d have a decent chance of batting long and taking the series to Melbourne. Shame we collapsed on the morning of day 2 and allowed Australia to score about 650!

Honourable mention also to day 5 of Cape Town just gone.

Day 1 of the Perth test in the 2017/8 ashes series.

Bit of a random one but it was my first ever overseas game. After months of excitement and waiting we won the toss and actually played well! I was a bit worried that being 2-0 down we’d be shite, but we batted well and ended the day around 300-4. I even thought after the day we’d have a decent chance of batting long and taking the series to Melbourne. Shame we collapsed on the morning of day 2 and allowed Australia to score about 650!

Honourable mention also to day 5 of Cape Town just gone.

Didn’t realise you’d done that tour too. Planning any future ones?

Didn’t realise you’d done that tour too. Planning any future ones?
Would love to do Sri Lanka, especially if they find a way to move the cancelled tour to a similar time next year (assuming the world’s semi-recovered from the virus) and then the Windies beyond that. If I do the ashes again I think I’ll stick to the first couple of tests so I don’t see any dead rubbers!

Back