Best Day(s) Watching Cricket?

Durham vs Northants September 2014 at the Riverside. In fact two days
Day 1 - washout
Day 2 - murky and a late start, Durham Batted and centuries for Borthwick and Colly,
Day 3. - Durham continued adding another 30 tuns finishing on 392 a.o. Northants only batted for 3 and a half hours, 83 a.o. and 90 a.o. and Rushy got a hatful.

Amazing.

Stokes 164 of 113balls in the Royal London semi final in 2014 against Notts
I only watched that on TV. Athers was commentating and it sounded he was doubtful about stokes' potential but he did mention his booming straight drives reminiscent of his Perth Test century.

I only watched that on TV. Athers was commentating and it sounded he was doubtful about stokes' potential but he did mention his booming straight drives reminiscent of his Perth Test century.

I remember in the 2014 final him playing a horror reverse LBW off Jeetan Patel’s last over, when sensible cricket was all that was needed as he was their danger bowler by a distance. Similar to his non-LBW off Lyon at Headingley.

Probably shows a mixture of his genius and fortune.

Chelmsford in '85, last day of the Sunday League season. Of all batsmen, Boycott played a perfectly paced innings and it looked for long spells that Yorkshire were going to spoil the party. A late flurry and Essex squeaked home. I appeared on the BBC news headlines in the evening in a camera shot of a drunken mob celebrating winning the league.

:lol:
I could choose many CC days watching Durham but instead will go for the 2007 FP semi vs Essex at the Riverside.

Now I admit I'm an old fashioned sod and cant get away with these 450 totals now being posted in 50 over games and much prefer low scoring games where every run is vital and you couldnt get more low scoring than this!

Essex 71 all out in 22 overs and then Bichel reducing us to 38/7 in reply and then Kaneria dropping Lord Ottis with the score on 39...next ball..no ball free hit ..next ball six from Plunkett.

Also I've never heard such cheers greeting forward defensives in a limited overs match and then when Pudsey hit the boundary to send us to Lords you could have heard the roar in..erm..CLS Park!!😀

Only downside was that a week or so later I contracted a severe form of Glandular fever and was unable to go to Lords!!

Got talking to Ronnie Irani at ht, was totally spot on despite the score. Also had a bit crack on with Rachel Brookes (she was giving SSN viewers updates, fairly often to the collapses!). Very nervy with 7 down.

Enjoyed Lords too, although I was mortal and giving Darren Powell plenty of jip.

Loved watching us down the Racecourse, the Durham, Spenny and Coxhoe lads together.

One of my favourite days would be a Sunday League game at Gateshead Fell v Leics about 1993ish. Minibus load of us up there, sat on the square leg boundary in the sun. Having a bit chat with a fielder (Benson?, rings a bell). Said he had been opening and was bowling the odd few overs. We were collating our sweep for Durham's score, pund a man. Ranging from 180 to 280. We asked Benson who went for 220 ish (didn't have a pund on him like). Then he was asked to bowl, went for about 17 in his 1st over, asked he could change his score to 260 if he was bowling any more!! We also told him to smash a 6 to us when he batted, which he duly did and raised his bat to us :lol: , before getting out a few balls later. And we won.

MCG, Boxing Day 2010. Australia 98 all out, England 157/0 at the close
That is the probably the day I'd choose if I was asked which day in history would I like to have been at.
We retained the Ashes on the 1st day of the 4th Test.
And annihilated them.
3 for 3 at the start. Remember Trotts run out.
It must have been fantastic, especially in the empty stadium on Boxing Day with all the Ozzie's having done a runner well before close.

That is the probably the day I'd choose if I was asked which day in history would I like to have been at.
We retained the Ashes on the 1st day of the 4th Test.
And annihilated them.
3 for 3 at the start. Remember Trotts run out.
It must have been fantastic, especially in the empty stadium on Boxing Day with all the Ozzie's having done a runner well before close.
I definitely don’t remember them being 3/3 and Trott ran out Hughes in the second dig, so day 3.
By day 3 the Aussies weren’t turning up for the start of play, let alone leaving early.
Pre lunch on day 4 was almost exclusively England fans only.

A couple of other notable days were the first two at Trent Bridge in 1977, a 5 for on debut for Botham and then Boycott (in comeback innings) running out Randall.

Day 4 at Leeds in 1981, with Botham hitting them into the candy store and out again

F
I definitely don’t remember them being 3/3 and Trott ran out Hughes in the second dig, so day 3.
By day 3 the Aussies weren’t turning up for the start of play, let alone leaving early.
Pre lunch on day 4 was almost exclusively England fans only.

A couple of other notable days were the first two at Trent Bridge in 1977, a 5 for on debut for Botham and then Boycott (in comeback innings) running out Randall.

Day 4 at Leeds in 1981, with Botham hitting them into the candy store and out again
Fair enough, turns out they were 2-3 in Adelaide, remember the commentator saying something like "In Australia the runs and wickets are reversed, but at 3 for 3 there's no mistaking the score".

Well I got the Test right for the run out at least....

Would have been absolute class like.
By the way, were you on the barmy army forum years ago?
Your username is similar to someone on there.

Last edited:
F

Fair enough, turns out they were 2-3 in Adelaide, remember the commentator saying something like "In Australia the runs and wickets are reversed, but at 3 for 3 there's no mistaking the score".

Well I got the Test right for the run out at least....

Would have been absolute class like.
By the way, were you on the barmy army forum years ago?
Your username is similar to someone on there.
No, I haven’t been on the Barmy Army forum.

Yes, Adelaide swung on that poor start and it led to England getting the upper hand in that series.

Tremlett replacing Finn, who was having a good series himself, was a brave decision but proved to be inspirational

One of my favourite days would be a Sunday League game at Gateshead Fell v Leics about 1993ish. Minibus load of us up there, sat on the square leg boundary in the sun. Having a bit chat with a fielder (Benson?, rings a bell). Said he had been opening and was bowling the odd few overs. We were collating our sweep for Durham's score, pund a man. Ranging from 180 to 280. We asked Benson who went for 220 ish (didn't have a pund on him like). Then he was asked to bowl, went for about 17 in his 1st over, asked he could change his score to 260 if he was bowling any more!! We also told him to smash a 6 to us when he batted, which he duly did and raised his bat to us :lol: , before getting out a few balls later. And we won.

I must have been sitting near you all that day. It was the second home Sunday League fixture in the 1992 season...the previous day saw the first day of the CC game at the Racecourse against the same opponents.

Justin Benson was a bit of a big hitter but once he was gone we went on to win. I remember him acknowledging the crowd when he hit the six.:lol:

It was a bit chilly that day but not as bad as the CC game there v Gloucs in May 1994 mind.:eek::eek:

I must have been sitting near you all that day. It was the second home Sunday League fixture in the 1992 season...the previous day saw the first day of the CC game at the Racecourse against the same opponents.

Justin Benson was a bit of a big hitter but once he was gone we went on to win. I remember him acknowledging the crowd when he hit the six.:lol:

It was a bit chilly that day but not as bad as the CC game there v Gloucs in May 1994 mind.:eek::eek:
Justin Benson, thats him. Canny lad.
Those were the days, far better going round the small county grounds than at the Riverside.

How have Durham’s crowds changed over the years? CC 1992 - now, T20 2003 - now?

Back