Best Bars Before Saturday Game

If your coming into Sunderland on Metro then get off at the Stadium of light Station and head to The Avenue in Zetland Street . Great pre match atmosphere . All the matches on multi screens real ale and decent prices .

Also can find group of pubs further out at sea front . These Things Happen, The Wolsey, The Harbour view

Walking to the SOL is about 10 minutes .
Aye the Avenue is canny, was in there before Stoke game. Good choice of beers

Last edited:
Its a micro brewery's tap room. They do some of their own stuff all the time (pils, ipa, ale) and then have guest beers, which can be all sorts but usually includes a stout. There's usually around 10-12 different brews on draught and loads of cans and bottles of fancy pants beers too in fridges. The beer I've had there has always been spot on and reasonably priced for what it is. I dont recall if they do spirits mind.

It's usually full of punters, they have a big telly up for the early ko's, but you'd need to be there sharp to get a table to watch it, and benches outside for smokers/tokers/sun lovers. I think, but I'm happy to be contradicted, that it's only open pre-match and I also don't know about evening games.

Vaux Brewery | Sunderland
Will be in there to watch the Rugby at full time.

Hi All. Heading over to Saturday's game from Ireland. Any recommendations for bars/pubs with good atmosphere ahead of match? Cheers.

Depends massively on what you’re after.

Some good advice already - The Ship Isis, Museum Vaults and Dun Cow for ‘proper pubs’. The Peacock is good also but gets a lot busier.

Fire Station is decent, more of a modern feel and quite pricey. As is the Keel Tavern which is brand new.

Nearer the ground The Fan Museum is worth a look in for all the memorabilia (think you used to be able to have a photo in a Niall Quinn match worn shirt :lol:) and the Vaux Taproom.

There’s some more ‘bar / sports bar’ type places as well but I’m not as familiar with them. Port of Call always seems decent but more of a mixed crowd than just match-goers.

Depends massively on what you’re after.

Some good advice already - The Ship Isis, Museum Vaults and Dun Cow for ‘proper pubs’. The Peacock is good also but gets a lot busier.

Fire Station is decent, more of a modern feel and quite pricey. As is the Keel Tavern which is brand new.

Nearer the ground The Fan Museum is worth a look in for all the memorabilia (think you used to be able to have a photo in a Niall Quinn match worn shirt :lol:) and the Vaux Taproom.

There’s some more ‘bar / sports bar’ type places as well but I’m not as familiar with them. Port of Call always seems decent but more of a mixed crowd than just match-goers.

All of that plus more good options on the seafront if that is more of the OPs thing rather than busy city centre pubs.

Port of Call, Peacock, Street Bar (if you don’t mind paying a fortune), Keel Tavern. All decent.

Not sure what the Rabbit is like or Greens recently. Used to like Greens.

Street Bar probably the cheapest of all those. But I agree with the list - my usuals. Rabbit is good post-game

If your coming into Sunderland on Metro then get off at the Stadium of light Station and head to The Avenue in Zetland Street . Great pre match atmosphere . All the matches on multi screens real ale and decent prices .

Also can find group of pubs further out at sea front . These Things Happen, The Wolsey, The Harbour view

Walking to the SOL is about 10 minutes .
I'm a fan of the wolsey before and after the game.
Wolsey does top food for decent prices and massive portions! (10 mins walk to stadium).
(nice walk along the beach in the opposite direction with the Promenade a good pub as well... maybe do that the friday if you come across the day before.

I always like the Navy Club on Roker Avenue as well.
decent working mans club that still serves Mcewans best Scotch, I believe.

All walking distance the north side of the city centre as well.

Last edited:

Back