Best Bars Before Saturday Game

Port of Call, Chaplins, Gunners, Dun Cow, Peacock, Fans Museum pre match. Fire Station/Engine Room, Vesta Tilleys, Streetbar, The Terrace, Life of Riley after the match, with the Rabbit thrown in as a wild card before Streetbar.

That is a horrendous post match line up.

Why avoid the Wheatsheaf? It's probably more entertaining than the match. Dance off between away fan and Dave the Rave then some other mindless drunken shenanigan challenges.
I don't mind the Wheatsheaf on non match days but the thought of wee phillie and his shit show no thanks, they were shite 25 years ago

What beers do they do and what are the prices like?
Its a micro brewery's tap room. They do some of their own stuff all the time (pils, ipa, ale) and then have guest beers, which can be all sorts but usually includes a stout. There's usually around 10-12 different brews on draught and loads of cans and bottles of fancy pants beers too in fridges. The beer I've had there has always been spot on and reasonably priced for what it is. I dont recall if they do spirits mind.

It's usually full of punters, they have a big telly up for the early ko's, but you'd need to be there sharp to get a table to watch it, and benches outside for smokers/tokers/sun lovers. I think, but I'm happy to be contradicted, that it's only open pre-match and I also don't know about evening games.

Vaux Brewery | Sunderland

Been in Sam's bar before a few recent games. Busy but not as rammed as some of the pubs around Park Lane and Green Terrace circuit. Even if you can't get sat down always room around bar and sides to stand, few screens with any early kick offs on too. Not great range of beers if you're into real ales but only couple minutes walk from Fawcett street so not far to walk to Sol

Its a micro brewery's tap room. They do some of their own stuff all the time (pils, ipa, ale) and then have guest beers, which can be all sorts but usually includes a stout. There's usually around 10-12 different brews on draught and loads of cans and bottles of fancy pants beers too in fridges. The beer I've had there has always been spot on and reasonably priced for what it is. I dont recall if they do spirits mind.

It's usually full of punters, they have a big telly up for the early ko's, but you'd need to be there sharp to get a table to watch it, and benches outside for smokers/tokers/sun lovers. I think, but I'm happy to be contradicted, that it's only open pre-match and I also don't know about evening games.

Vaux Brewery | Sunderland
Open every Fri-sat till late. Open for every home game.

That is a horrendous post match line up.
I was going off the assumption they wanted somewhere/places a little bit more lively after the match. And while they may not be as fancy or nice as The Keel Tavern, Isis, Sam’s et al, if you can’t have a good night in any of those places I mention in the company of your mates, it’s you or your mates that are the problem rather than the bars. Always a good atmosphere on matchday evenings along that strip between Keel Square and Life of Riley.

I was going off the assumption they wanted somewhere/places a little bit more lively after the match. And while they may not be as fancy or nice as The Keel Tavern, Isis, Sam’s et al, if you can’t have a good night in any of those places I mention in the company of your mates, it’s you or your mates that are the problem rather than the bars. Always a good atmosphere on matchday evenings along that strip between Keel Square and Life of Riley.
Valid points Sergeant.

Back