Best Bars Before Saturday Game

It was early season. Haven't heard of it closing. I don't like the hill after a couple so it's Dun Cow for me.
Kings Arms has just reopened after a refit and looks absolutely superb. Now run by the Mexico 70 group who have also taken over The Saltgrass which will undergo a refurb to take it back to its best.

Inbetween those two historical Sunderland pubs is the new and brilliantly done out Wildfire Pizza restaurant in what was Hanover Place which serves as good a pizza as you’ll get-the lads behind it previously served their mega successful product in The Isis.

Kings Arms has just reopened after a refit and looks absolutely superb. Now run by the Mexico 70 group who have also taken over The Saltgrass which will undergo a refurb to take it back to its best.

Inbetween those two historical Sunderland pubs is the new and brilliantly done out Wildfire Pizza restaurant in what was Hanover Place which serves as good a pizza as you’ll get-the lads behind it previously served their mega successful product in The Isis.
I'm not from Sunderland. Where is the Saltgrass? I was in the Kings Arms for a Sunday lunchtime kickoff early season so had the pork pies, black pudding and cheese. I know Museum Vaults, Isis, Dun Cow, Peacock, Chaplin's (not keen on it). I also know most pubs over the river. If it's a pleasant day I quite like a walk down to Harbour View. In the olden days our coach used to park on the road near the Wolsey so underage in there or the old Victory Club.

Absolute nightmare when it's rammed. Could do with some sort of queueing system as it’s basically a free for all as you get to the bar.
Whenever I’ve been in the peacock pre match people always queue and it just seems to make matters worse imo

Always snakes down towards the entrance, no one can get past for a piss and it usually leaves the far side of the bar empty. The bar maids are always having to shout for people to move down.

Last edited:
I'm not from Sunderland. Where is the Saltgrass? I was in the Kings Arms for a Sunday lunchtime kickoff early season so had the pork pies, black pudding and cheese. I know Museum Vaults, Isis, Dun Cow, Peacock, Chaplin's (not keen on it). I also know most pubs over the river. If it's a pleasant day I quite like a walk down to Harbour View. In the olden days our coach used to park on the road near the Wolsey so underage in there or the old Victory Club.

Saltgrass is further down the bank from the Kings Arms, opposite Liebherr

Saltgrass is further down the bank from the Kings Arms, opposite Liebherr
Oh no. Even more of a hill climb but I'll have to try it. In sheyi used to drink in the nursery Tavern on Eccleshall Road, the Prince over the road beside the brewery and the Porter Cottage (MLF managed it a few years ago - Martin, used to have the New Inn at Durham) plus the pub om Cemetery Road opposite the old Co-op, and any other pub when necessary.

Oh no. Even more of a hill climb but I'll have to try it. In sheyi used to drink in the nursery Tavern on Eccleshall Road, the Prince over the road beside the brewery and the Porter Cottage (MLF managed it a few years ago - Martin, used to have the New Inn at Durham) plus the pub om Cemetery Road opposite the old Co-op, and any other pub when necessary.
I left Sheffield in 1986 so its changed plenty in that time.

If you can manage the hills in Sheffield, the bank from the Kings Arms and Saltgrass is nowt. I lived at Banner Cross and Ecclesall Rd was a killer once it turned up from Endcliffe Park.

Last edited:
I left Sheffield in 1986 so its changed plenty in that time.

If you can manage the hills in Sheffield, the bank from the Kings Arms and Saltgrass is nowt. I lived at Banner Cross and Ecclesall Rd was a killer once it turned up from Endcliffe Park.
I was a student till 1972. Lived at Hunters Bar, then Walkley and finally old Dronfield. They were some hills, but, fifty years on, hills seem to be steeper

Whenever I’ve been in the peacock pre match people always queue and it just seems to make matters worse imo

Always snakes down towards the entrance, no one can get past for a piss and it usually leaves the far side of the bar empty. The bar maids are always having to shout for people to move down.
Yeah that's true too. I don't know if they cannot open the doors in the middle of the bar to make it easier to get to both ends?

Back