Berlin in a couple of weeks

I went on business in 2000 - stayed in the old eastern bit which was straight out of a Cold War spy movie. Even the streetlights were dimmer than the western side .

Got out and about at night and had a piss at the back of the Russian embassy which in hindsight wasn’t my best moment.

It was January and the coldest place I ve ever been.

Loved it actually - would go again just for leisure this time. Found the Germans extremely friendly ( and very efficient- beer delicious but they eat like raw meat - rabbit - for breakfast)

Hackerscher Markt. Good few eating places round there.
Stayed near here and found it a decent enough spot for getting around Berlin (U'Bahn / S-Bahn Stations both nearby). Its also near to Berliner Dom which is worth a visit to get yourself up onto the roof for the views.
Just along from there is "James-Simon-Park" which has a bunch of pubs in the arches under the S'Bahn line. Not bad to finish off near your hotel - one of those "drinking tours" came trekking along whilst we were sat there.

Checkpoint Charlie is a bit of waste of time really. But its just along the road from the Topography of Terrors which is a must visit really.

East Side Gallery - loved this personally. Gives you a feel for what it was like to have a wall dividing the City, but now covered with brilliant art all of the way along.
Walking West along the wall you come to a place called "Holzmarkt 25" which is a riverside park with bars and food stands (bit like a version of the Stack I guess) which was decent for a few beers and people watching

Loads to see and do really.
Stayed near here and found it a decent enough spot for getting around Berlin (U'Bahn / S-Bahn Stations both nearby). Its also near to Berliner Dom which is worth a visit to get yourself up onto the roof for the views.
Just along from there is "James-Simon-Park" which has a bunch of pubs in the arches under the S'Bahn line. Not bad to finish off near your hotel - one of those "drinking tours" came trekking along whilst we were sat there.

Checkpoint Charlie is a bit of waste of time really. But its just along the road from the Topography of Terrors which is a must visit really.

East Side Gallery - loved this personally. Gives you a feel for what it was like to have a wall dividing the City, but now covered with brilliant art all of the way along.
Walking West along the wall you come to a place called "Holzmarkt 25" which is a riverside park with bars and food stands (bit like a version of the Stack I guess) which was decent for a few beers and people watching

Loads to see and do really.

Oh, and just near the Oberbaumbrucke bridge is a street called FalckensteinStrasse - load of restaurants, bars, juice bars where you can sit outside having a beer watching the drug dealers :lol:

Last edited:

Back