Ben Stokes

danthemanSAFC

Midfield
As seen in the recent T20 World Cup, Ben Stokes’ experience is crucial. Would you like to see Stokes come out of ODI retirement to help defend the World Cup or do you think we can play without him. In my opinion, I would love to see him play again for England, but if it’s not right for Ben and will harm him in other areas then no.

As seen in the recent T20 World Cup, Ben Stokes’ experience is crucial. Would you like to see Stokes come out of ODI retirement to help defend the World Cup or do you think we can play without him. In my opinion, I would love to see him play again for England, but if it’s not right for Ben and will harm him in other areas then no.

Nah, think he is in much a happier place now.

That's totally unfair on other players
It would be potentially aye, so maybe they'll bring him back for the NZ series in September. I do believe it would be the correct decision though. Even better if he can commit to regular ODIs beforehand, although you've got to be careful with him

That's totally unfair on other players

It’s not like

Also international tournaments aren’t about being fair it’s about winning

Ben stokes had basically played no international t20 cricket for 2 years before this World Cup

Was it unfair on those who player in that time?
It would be potentially aye, so maybe they'll bring him back for the NZ series in September. I do believe it would be the correct decision though. Even better if he can commit to regular ODIs beforehand, although you've got to be careful with him

I don’t think they will

I think he will just turn up in India

I don’t think it’s unfair personally

In between young players will get expericne playing for England

We just need to be grown up about it. It’s like the idea a guy needs to play every CC game to get a test call up. That would be nice but that’s not the reality of the current world.

Ben Stokes has to play in this World Cup and the only way he does, in my opinion anyway (I’m no expert) is if he’s allowed to miss all the games before it and just rock you at tournament

Last edited:
It’s not like

Ben stokes had basically played no international t20 cricket for 2 years before this World Cup

I don’t think they will

We just need to be grown up about it. It’s like the idea a guy needs to play every CC game to get a test call up. That would be nice but that’s not the reality of the current world.

Ben Stokes has to play in this World Cup and the only way he does, in my opinion anyway (I’m no expert) is if he’s allowed to miss all the games before it and just rock you at tournament
Difference being this team has Morgan retire and Roy horrifically drop form and bairstow get a freak injury and brook hasn't done much, say we have little injuries and a lot of people who are playing well it would hardly be fair to leave someone out

Difference being this team has Morgan retire and Roy horrifically drop form and bairstow get a freak injury and brook hasn't done much, say we have little injuries and a lot of people who are playing well it would hardly be fair to leave someone out

Not really chops. Stokes plays even if they are fit

You can’t replace stokes he’s invaluable

It’s a sport played by humans

He could average 2 with bat and 90 with ball you still pick him like

It’s not like

I don’t think they will

Spot on!

The bottom line is in any team sport in big tournaments you pick your best team to try and win that tournament.

And without a shadow of a doubt he would be in that best team.

He could average 2 with bat and 90 with ball you still pick him like

I’d have him in any team if I was picking it.

By way of example-I was fortunate to be at Worcester v Durham in the LVCC this season. He scored an almost effortless 170 odd, including a record number of 6s and was within a yard or 2 of scoring 36 off one over. All proper cricket shots, no T20 type slogs etc.

When Durham were fielding, his bowling was ok, but he fielded virtually the whole time at mid off and encouraged and spoke to every bowler the whole time. This is no criticism of Borthwick btw.

He takes the game to a different level. Not many, if any, like him in the game today.

I’d have him in any team if I was picking it.

By way of example-I was fortunate to be at Worcester v Durham in the LVCC this season. He scored an almost effortless 170 odd, including a record number of 6s and was within a yard or 2 of scoring 36 off one over. All proper cricket shots, no T20 type slogs etc.

When Durham were fielding, his bowling was ok, but he fielded virtually the whole time at mid off and encouraged and spoke to every bowler the whole time. This is no criticism of Borthwick btw.

He takes the game to a different level. Not many, if any, like him in the game today.

A famous game and I’m so jealous you were there

Good words I agree

Just on his bowling as I think it’s a good example of how good a impact player he is, I watched him bowl a lot for Durham this year when he played and his bowling was pretty just ordinary, not bad at all but just like nothing special and he went for runs

However his bowling in particular goes up a notch in international cricket, it’s a good example of how stats aren’t the full story, hd gets good players out and can bowl marathon spells

I honestly think he’d get in englands team as a bowler as especially away from home we have very few who are better

The fact he’s produced at Durham is just the best thing ever

100% be in the team

The way Key is running things, its just adult, common sense decisions

No need to waste his energy in meaningless 50 over stuff just turn up when it matters, thats the way world cups will end up going.
Absolutely. And on the subject of "fairness" it's up to those that play the meaningless stuff to make themselves undroppable, knowing someone like Stokes is waiting to take their place if they don't. Harsh bur true

Absolutely. And on the subject of "fairness" it's up to those that play the meaningless stuff to make themselves undroppable, knowing someone like Stokes is waiting to take their place if they don't. Harsh bur true

thats it mate, I also wouldnt feel to sorry for them, they are travrlling the world playing for England. Its only not fair as the schedule doesnt allow Stokes to play all 3

I think its a good opportunity to blood younger players

Brook and Duckett are good examples of players who have absolutely benefited from playing for England in Pakistan, and you can see it in this series.

The amount of talent England has playing around the world in white ball stuff at all times of the year is crazy like. you could put at least 3 sides togethet

Enjoyed this article in the Guardian

Good article and it's right. In Test cricket a win is achieved by the batters and the bowlers, both divisions have to be successful and it definitely worth pointing out the amount of wickets taken on difficult pitches.

ps I think Potts is not out of the picture, but it's up to him to show what he's got.

Back