Ben Stokes

I hope so. I still don't think the powers to be appreciate him. They hung him out to dry and was ultimately not guilty, though watching his documentary it's clear he hasn't forgotten and rightly so. His recovery has been astounding. One of the best on and off the field. Always delivers when called upon. Double world champion now.

Such a shame he won't be playing ODI cricket

Couldn’t get my head round people saying leave him out

People just playing fantasy cricket looking at just averages on a piece of paper

Look at Brook, everyone saying he’s much better than stokes etc, he struggled.

Not his best innings today but nobody else was gonna stick around and do it, that’s the point
Have to say, I wasn't sure about Stokes in the T20 side, but today was the perfect example of why hell always be the first name on the team sheet. Big game player with a winners mentality
He wasn’t though. It went to court and he was cleared
Genuinely did fuck all wrong

Last edited:
I mean, he got us off to a flyer. And was the bloody captain
I know, I’m not disagreeing but my point stands with Stokes batting through undefeated in two World Cup fibals

nobody has done that for England previously

that’s my point, feel free to advocate for Jos as well. I don’t mind

I wouldn’t have had him in the T20 squad. I was wrong, absolute Trojan when he was needed 😎.

Hopefully he can be persuaded into a 50 over swansong in India next year.

Still needs to revert to batting normally in tests mind, I don’t think his new technique will pay off long term in that format.

Shouldn’t be in the T20 side they said…

REDEMPTION!!

Ha’way the Durham lads :cool::cool::cool:
thread title is incorrect, surely it should read
Sir Ben Stokes
Aye there will be one or two not coming on here quoting his t20 stats fir a while. Probably till he has a quiet time in a non descript series against Afghanistan or Zimbabwe.
The best big match player i have watched.
Without question.
What i would say, is that if anything it showed theres no place for both Malan (at 3) and Stokes (4) in this lineup due to the role they are good at, i'd still love to find a spot for Root :( however Bairstow has to come back in as opener for me with Hales shifting to 3.
I'd have no qualms if Stokes didnt play in the T20 side again, whats he got left to achieve, boost his averages a bit, take a few more wickets, maybe win another world cup (that last one sounds good though)
Really think he still has enough to offer for the 50 over side and wish he hadnt packed it in before next years cup.

Sidenote - Ali was pretty emotional, wonder if he's thinking the end is near
Pleased for the lad. Many wrote him off after Bristol. He deserves every bit of succes
west indies and that string of ducks, Bristol, that over in the 2016 final, his poor form in 2017-18, the finger break, the mental health, the last Ashes series in Oz.

Has any England player beside Botham hit such lows and incredible highs (The Worlds cup rate higher for me than Bothams Ashes) in their career
Couldn’t get my head round people saying leave him out

People just playing fantasy cricket looking at just averages on a piece of paper

Look at Brook, everyone saying he’s much better than stokes etc, he struggled.

Not his best innings today but nobody else was gonna stick around and do it, that’s the point
Tbf on form and experience in the format and in the role at 4 he didnt have alot going for picking him (coupled with Duckett and Brooks form and Bairstow getting injured). Wasnt even a small sample size of matches either.

What he had, and what Buttler repeatedly stated was that Stokes would show up when England needed him most and twice he answered with 2 of his 3 best scores in the format in the effective Quarter final and final.
I just find it funny that both those knocks came with Malan not batting and both games had Stokes batting time before accelerating at the end.
Theres the role for him, but do we need both him and Malan fulfilling a similar function in the team.
Stokes bowling was a revelation this tournament mind, wickets and under 7 economy with the ball, never bowled better in this format.
And yes, i think theres no doubt every English fan loves Ben Stokes now

Still needs to revert to batting normally in tests mind, I don’t think his new technique will pay off long term in that format.
Agreed on both fronts

Last edited:
thread title is incorrect, surely it should read
Sir Ben Stokes

Without question.
What i would say, is that if anything it showed theres no place for both Malan (at 3) and Stokes (4) in this lineup due to the role they are good at, i'd still love to find a spot for Root :( however Bairstow has to come back in as opener for me with Hales shifting to 3.
I'd have no qualms if Stokes didnt play in the T20 side again, whats he got left to achieve, boost his averages a bit, take a few more wickets, maybe win another world cup (that last one sounds good though)
Really think he still has enough to offer for the 50 over side and wish he hadnt packed it in before next years cup.

Sidenote - Ali was pretty emotional, wonder if he's thinking the end is near

west indies and that string of ducks, Bristol, that over in the 2016 final, his poor form in 2017-18, the finger break, the mental health, the last Ashes series in Oz.

Has any England player beside Botham hit such lows and incredible highs (The Worlds cup rate higher for me than Bothams Ashes) in their career

Tbf on form and experience in the format and in the role at 4 he didnt have alot going for picking him (coupled with Duckett and Brooks form and Bairstow getting injured). Wasnt even a small sample size of matches either.

What he had, and what Buttler repeatedly stated was that Stokes would show up when England needed him most and twice he answered with 2 of his 3 best scores in the format in the effective Quarter final and final.
I just find it funny that both those knocks came with Malan not batting and both games had Stokes batting time before accelerating at the end.
Theres the role for him, but do we need both him and Malan fulfilling a similar function in the team.
Stokes bowling was a revelation this tournament mind, wickets and under 7 economy with the ball, never bowled better in this format.
And yes, i think theres no doubt every English fan loves Ben Stokes now

Agreed on both fronts

Both are in our best XI like

We missed malan yesterday

Stokes also bowls 85mph so I never got the comparison personally

Brooks struggled badly and although he will do well for England it’s a good example of not getting carried away. Duckett no chance he should have gone mind he did well sweeping on the low pitches in Pakistan but this is totally different conditions

The reason stokes record isn’t great lately is because he never plays it as he is prioritizing other formats

Also in world cups the scores are always lower due to the pressure

I’m not having ago at anyone really I just think people get carried away with stats in franchise leagues or whatever, I don’t think it has much meaning when it comes down to it.

On malan just look at his record the last year tho he has struck it at such a high strike rate

I hope we don’t move on he’s quality, he just struggled in a few matches in tricky conditions this tournament but it doesn’t represent his wider form.
I wouldn’t have had him in the T20 squad. I was wrong, absolute Trojan when he was needed 😎.

Yeah praying he does

He’s so unselfish I think he will feel he’s taking someone’s place. Buttler needs to do everything to persuade him, just literally turn up for the first game, don’t worry about the warm up games even

Last edited:
The reason stokes record isn’t great lately is because he never plays it as he is prioritizing other formats

Also in world cups the scores are always lower due to the pressure

I’m not having ago at anyone really I just think people get carried away with stats in franchise leagues or whatever, I don’t think it has much meaning when it comes down to it.

On malan just look at his record the last year tho he has struck it at such a high strike rate

I hope we don’t move on he’s quality, he just struggled in a few matches in tricky conditions this tournament but it doesn’t represent his wider form.
Just think Stokes finally knew his role in those last few games when Malan was unavailable to bat (obviously its easier for him when we chase) and that when they both played, they either got their tempo wrong or got stuck between trying to bat time to get in or go too hard early (and that really shouldn't be Stokes role in this team).

With Malan out, Stokes became the anchor, knowing the top 3 would tee off and Ali and Livingstone would do likewise behind him.
Id even say that Brook got a little confused in his role since the pakistan series and this world cup (important 20 in the final tbf) :)
Lets fit Bairstow back into this team, what nice problems to have

Just think Stokes finally knew his role in those last few games when Malan was unavailable to bat (obviously its easier for him when we chase) and that when they both played, they either got their tempo wrong or got stuck between trying to bat time to get in or go too hard early (and that really shouldn't be Stokes role in this team).

With Malan out, Stokes became the anchor, knowing the top 3 would tee off and Ali and Livingstone would do likewise behind him.
Id even say that Brook got a little confused in his role since the pakistan series and this world cup (important 20 in the final tbf) :)
Lets fit Bairstow back into this team, what nice problems to have

Yeah maybe you’re right aye, the only thing I’d say is malan hasn’t been the anchor the lasts 12 months he’s been probs hit quicker than any of our lineup, he just looked out of form a bit and couldn’t time it. Stokes did do well after he got injured so you might be right about his clarity

Yeah Jonny at 3 or 4?

The thing is when is the next t20 World Cup? Because jonny n stokes will barely play before that really.

Back