Ben Stokes

Yeah maybe you’re right aye, the only thing I’d say is malan hasn’t been the anchor the lasts 12 months he’s been probs hit quicker than any of our lineup, he just looked out of form a bit and couldn’t time it. Stokes did do well after he got injured so you might be right about his clarity

Yeah Jonny at 3 or 4?

The thing is when is the next t20 World Cup? Because jonny n stokes will barely play before that really.
Id have Johnny open and Hales at 3 (he's done it before). Playing devils advocate here but Malan to open and Johnny at 3?

My impression with Brook, since his first outing against WI, is that he seems to struggle to cope under pressure

Hard to say, he struggled in big bash so maybe it’s just the extra bounce. He will be better for the expericne but he did look a bit out of place.
Id have Johnny open and Hales at 3 (he's done it before). Playing devils advocate here but Malan to open and Johnny at 3?

Think Hales and Buttler is locked in

Imagine malan will stay at 3 for all the bilateral series as stokes won’t be in squads

Wouldn’t be surprised if Stokes called it a day in T20 internationals as well, I don’t think his knee is getting better. Also think they might move on from a few; Malan and Jordan didn’t get contracts did they

Wouldn’t be surprised if Stokes called it a day in T20 internationals as well, I don’t think his knee is getting better. Also think they might move on from a few; Malan and Jordan didn’t get contracts did they

Can’t see that at all like, plenty of pay days in t20 and it’s an easy format for him to dip in and out from

Can’t see that at all like, plenty of pay days in t20 and it’s an easy format for him to dip in and out from
Just internationals, he hasn’t really played them for a while apart from this World Cup. I’d love him to play the 50 over World Cup in India next year mind, can’t imagine who would replace him

I reckon its 50/50 as to whether he goes past Freddies test wicket haul, think hes around 40 short but that left knee cant continue for much longer going the way it is

Just internationals, he hasn’t really played them for a while apart from this World Cup. I’d love him to play the 50 over World Cup in India next year mind, can’t imagine who would replace him

He won’t give them up mind I wouldn’t have thought, that’s why he retired from 50 over stuff

FROM RANDOM CRICKET...You think Ben Stokes is tough? Here's the story of another tough guy.

It's the 80s and this man was playing rugby for Wellington. This was supposed to be the last match he had to play before flying to England the next day on a 26-hour-long flight where he had a season ahead of him with Workington.

Within the first five minutes of the match, he dislocated a finger of his. Of course, rugby is a tough sport and injuries are normal but his finger was sticking out sideways. It was that bad. When he went off, the medical team said that they wouldn't be able to put it back as soon as possible. For such a procedure, the player would have to go to the hospital. But our man didn't listen and tried to put it back in its place and went on to go back to play the rest of the match which he completed while playing with his finger taped.

He obviously didn't put it back properly and as a result, the joint was now broken.

The bigger challenge, however, was still to come. There was a chance of him losing his contract with Workington on fitness grounds if it was discovered that he was playing with a dislocated finger. So, what would he do? Instead of telling anyone, he'd just tape the finger and manage the pain with painkilling injections throughout the season. He played almost the entire season like that until close to the end of the season, a dislocated knee meant that he was ruled out of the team's last few matches of the season.

When he returned to New Zealand, he decided to seek help for the knee and it was then that the matter of the bent finger also came up. The surgeon who was to do a surgery on the knee advised him a surgery for the finger too. But a surgery would've meant an absence from the game for a fair amount of time. Not being with the team would've meant losses financially as appearance money made up a big part of the contracts. So, what was the option?

Our man told the doctor to just chop it off, as a bent finger was anyway of no use to a rugby player. And without a finger, he would be able to resume playing the game in no time, which he did eventually. And that's how Ged Stokes, the father of Ben, ended up playing rugby after that with four and a half fingers on his left hand.

Sadly, his playing career came to an end when he broke his neck after he was hit on the head by a knee in a tackle. He soon moved to a successful coaching career.

His son, of course, has achieved pretty much all the greatness one could hope for in cricket, having played the sport with the same combative spirit with which his father played Rugby. In 2020, cricket often saw Ben Stokes with a unique celebration where he would bend his middle finger. That was a tribute to his father who in that year was diagnosed with brain cancer and would leave for the heavens in December 2020 aged 65. Almost two years later, Ben Stokes has once again given a superb tribute to his father's memory, with another final winning performance for England.

The tough guy Ged Stokes, wherever he is, must be mighty proud of his son. And England will be forever thankful to him. :)

(Photo by Cameron Spencer/Getty Images)...

Back