Ben Stokes at the Professional Cricketers Association Awards

The Guardian. I used to read it but, I used to like the writing. It used to be very good on the cricket then I couldn't stomach the hate and bile from some parts of it. Now I think it's the worst bit of toilet paper on the High Street.

Sorry like if this offends.

It might be online but it's journalism. It is limited in style and depth but the people there are journalists, ones who have left have gone on to other newspapers, and it breaks stories that get picked up by other outlets.

But it's all about opinions. I know some people on here rate highly other media which I think are nasty, crazy, often juvenile, partizan and simply wrong-headed.

Also don't diss blogs because they're blogs. I know some are nowt but some fat lad drinking a beer, drinking crisps and ranting rubbish but there are some that are really worth reading, written by people who know the subject and work to produce quality. I good blog addresses a subject in more depth and with more knowledge (often) than any journalist can manage.

Here's an example of what I mean (and not a political or sports site) www.thinkdefence.co.uk
Guido Fakes is not a reputable blog. It's a sad, far right lunatic sat in his basement ranting about bizarre things. I

You mean this particular article?

I read and make my own mind up. In this case I don't think the evidence is there to justify the story but I am also sceptical about the explanation that it was 'love play', it looked like a spat.

At other times the stories on there are on the money.

I make my own mind up based on what I read. It's a news site.
I haven’t read that article

But you’re justifying reading Guido for gods sake. Whilst calling the Guardian worse than shit. Disagree with the politics as you wish, but don’t pretend the former is more credible journalism

Not just his wife. Everyone who saw the incident, everyone who saw them afterwards and everyone that knows them.

It's a blog by an alt-right nutcase.
No it isn't.

Alt-right, what is this bollocks? Made up insult and a stupid one at that which means nothing.

I haven’t read that article

But you’re justifying reading Guido for gods sake. Whilst calling the Guardian worse than shit. Disagree with the politics as you wish, but don’t pretend the former is more credible journalism
Guido is credible. He breaks stories that are true and accurate and other outlets pick them up. Mostly about Westminster.

Other newspapers are not much difference. Journalists are often not experts in the things they right about.

Do you remember that defence journalist who wrote a story for a very popular tabloid about a 5 inch gun being installed on a ship and basically believing 5 inches was the length of the barrel?

George Monbiot and his "rewilding" campaign? omg wolves and lynx released into the wild in Scotland and beavers in dartmoor! I hear he's jumped onto the Extinction Rebellion thing now.

Anyway my message is treat everything with scepticism and of course everyone can be wrong and doubtlessly will be sometimes. . . . . And
Don't disbelieve the evidence just because you don't like the witness.
Reads Guido Fawkes, claims not to know what alt-right means.

Righto. :lol:
It's yet another shite made up insult.

Love Ben, but no-one's seriously buying that crack about it being playful banter.
This, he clearly manages his emotions in a very different way to most of us, part of this will help him achieve the superhuman feats he demonstrates on the pitch. I pray to god though he doesn’t tip the scales off the pitch, he’s coming perilously close with too much regularity.

Forget the source of the pic, it doesn't look particularly good and this pathetic, staged tweet from his missus today just adds fuel to the fire.

It doesn't look good to me at all - I certainly wouldn't do it that with my wife.

But if she is saying its fine then you have to take her word for it. Especially given there's no other evidence.

Though domestic abuse activists will rightly point out to a long history of bruises being described as falls etc.

Last edited:
The Guardian. I used to read it but, I used to like the writing. It used to be very good on the cricket then I couldn't stomach the hate and bile from some parts of it. Now I think it's the worst bit of toilet paper on the High Street.

Sorry like if this offends.
If you seriously think that the Guardian is the worst bit of toilet paper on the high street, then any credibility you may have built up by claiming you take each and every article on merit has been completely blown out of the water

So you're saying this story is true?
You haven't been reading what I've written about this story have you?

I said the picture doesn't justify the headline, ie it doesn't look like choking although it does look unpleasant and it does look like they've had a bit of a spat and I'm taking her explanation with a bit of salt.
If you seriously think that the Guardian is the worst bit of toilet paper on the high street, then any credibility you may have built up by claiming you take each and every article on merit has been completely blown out of the water
I can see what you're saying but .... I did read the Guardian but the attitude and frankly the insults and distain directed at folk who didn't agree with them sickened me. That was years ago. Ok, tell you what I'll go and look and see if it's improved.

I said the picture doesn't justify the headline, ie it doesn't look like choking although it does look unpleasant and it does look like they've had a bit of a spat and I'm taking her explanation with a bit of salt.

I can see what you're saying but .... I did read the Guardian but the attitude and frankly the insults and distain directed at folk who didn't agree with them sickened me. That was years ago. Ok, tell you what I'll go and look and see if it's improved.
Well. Scanned the front page ...... and .......

a lot better than I imagined.

Yes some Climate crisis bollocks. And yes some repeating some Brussels spin as if it's God's own truth.

But not much different from The Times or The Telegraph.

I expected to see some 'Corbyn is God' idiocy.

Maybe I hit on a good day.

Last edited:

Well. Scanned the front page ...... and .......

a lot better than I imagined.

Yes some Climate crisis bollocks. And yes some repeating some Brussels spin as if it's God's own truth.

But not much different from The Times or The Telegraph.

I expected to see some 'Corbyn is God' idiocy.

Maybe I hit on a good day.

What you chose to read is entirely up to you. Just pointing out a basic flaw in your argument.

What you chose to read is entirely up to you. Just pointing out a basic flaw in your argument.
Everyone is flawed.

Apologise to everyone on this board ..... I'd rather come here to talk cricket and to stay away from politics .. I know many agree with that!

Back