Bellingham

He's an excellent signing, but as an investment not the way he's been handled. They have brought in a kid who wasn't even consistently starting for Birmingham and made him the first name on the team sheet every week. He's not Jude and he's not there yet in his development. There's a player there and a good one at that but this season has set him and us back imo
The most impact he's had for weeks was coming off the bench v Plymouth, and that's where he needs to be for a few weeks, his hunger seems to have gone and he's struggling along with the rest of them with lack the of vision of all those above him be that coaching or directors, 3 tactical changes before 40mins yesterday makes me think Dodds hasn't got a clue what he's doing or how to get the best out of his young talent.

Hes starting to get even more on my tripe . Rusyn made an immediate run yesterday with jobe in the clear on the ball , as usual Jobe didnt see it so Rusyn checked, then he starts bollocking Rusyn when he loses it for not giving him an out .
A kid with his level of graft is not that far up the order he can bollock grafters like Naz. Arrogant pedestrian tw*t.
This fucked me off royally yesterday. This was at 0-0 wasn't it. Had me screaming me tits off and even me 10 year old sat next to me saw that ball on.

Had the audacity to ask for a through ball a few moments later.

He slowed it down at every opportunity and didn't want to take responsibility. It's been hammered week in, week out and loads on this thread but we saw Rigg for 20 minutes yesterday and although he made a few mistakes, he looked like he wanted to take the game by the scruff of the neck. I don't think he's ready in general either but he has to be worth a bloody go at this point.

He is not absolutely shit but at 18 with a lot of hopefully improvement to come no way should he be starting every match
He couldn’t lace Riggs boots. If his name wasn’t Bellingham he would be playing for Aldershot. His age is irrelevant. He’s absolutely rubbish.

This fucked me off royally yesterday. This was at 0-0 wasn't it. Had me screaming me tits off and even me 10 year old sat next to me saw that ball on.

Had the audacity to ask for a through ball a few moments later.

He slowed it down at every opportunity and didn't want to take responsibility. It's been hammered week in, week out and loads on this thread but we saw Rigg for 20 minutes yesterday and although he made a few mistakes, he looked like he wanted to take the game by the scruff of the neck. I don't think he's ready in general either but he has to be worth a bloody go at this point.
Glad someone else saw it and it wasnt just a symptom of my general dissatisfaction with him . Ive always liked the kid for his down to earth nature but i think the hype building is doing him no good as a player or a person if hes going to be doing " im the man " gestures when he scores and blaming others when hes poor .
If you read this shit jobe get your bloody head down son , hit the gym and the hill sprints closed season and be humble

Glad someone else saw it and it wasnt just a symptom of my general dissatisfaction with him . Ive always liked the kid for his down to earth nature but i think the hype building is doing him no good as a player or a person if hes going to be doing " im the man " gestures when he scores and blaming others when hes poor .
If you read this shit jobe get your bloody head down son , hit the gym and the hill sprints closed season and be humble
Any sprint would do! I don't know if he thinks ambling around makes him look elegant or summat but he needs a change in gear and to be stronger on the ball, he doesn't seem to be learning how to use his obvious strengths, lost count of how many headers he lost yesterday to smaller lads, he's got quite a few games under his belt now but seems to be going backwards, he's not alone mind...

I know, but your question lacked context.

But, to play along, he has scored despite being in more positions than a hooker

Why has he played those positions though?

Classes himself as a number 8 but has played much of his youth career as a striker.

Played a few games early on up front and looked like one briefly. Played games earlier in the season as a 10 and didn't look capable. Played most since on either side as one of two number 8s and doesn't contribute enough there either.

Skillset seems quite limited. decent feet, finds space in and around the box and gets the odd chance, physically developed for his age, lacking in vision and creativity, plays safe too often, poor at receiving the ball on the half turn. Plays almost every minute regardless of performance.

I don't want to criticise 18 year old lads who have a bit of ability but given he's in the team week in week out you can only comment on what you're given from them and he's mostly bang average, occasionally he had good moments and sometimes contributes nothing and is poor. Shouldn't have played half as many games as he has - not because we have loads of talent, but because he doesn't deserve to and he isn't very good.

Last edited:
Never seen an eighteen year old lad get this much stick, people need to have a bit of perspective. Target your frustration at the ownership and recruitment team that have led to Bellingham being the best option of the lot.
The lad should of been playing yesterday with his age group against Leeds which is his level at the moment, but for some reason the leadership team says he's the first name on the team sheet, we don't know if any of the other lads in that position are good enough as have not been give a real chance

Any sprint would do! I don't know if he thinks ambling around makes him look elegant or summat but he needs a change in gear and to be stronger on the ball, he doesn't seem to be learning how to use his obvious strengths, lost count of how many headers he lost yesterday to smaller lads, he's got quite a few games under his belt now but seems to be going backwards, he's not alone mind...
.Red setter in a dog fight all flounce , looks good on you tube oos and ahhs.
I was talking about this with the boy yesterday . None of the squad is improving physically (with the possible exception of Hemir) . Now i know we're "in season", so you cant bulk em up , but you would have thought a few just by growth and daily exercise as adolescents would be getting stronger and faster . They dont seem to be .

Birmingham fan here but I also used to work in Jobe and Judes secondary school. In the academy it was always spoken how Jobe was performing better than Jude in the different age brackets and in school you could see it (playing for the school team). The difference between Jude and Jobe was actually attitude and work ethic towards things.
After reading this thread a lot of people are saying he is slow and lazy. I felt Jobe had always struggled to fire himself up to the levels he could be, kid has the world at his feet.
I can recall one time he hadn't completed his homework, the deputy at the time told him he won't be able to play in the schools football match if he doesn't complete it so he told her to fuck off, he ended up getting banned from the team for a while.
He's a smart kid but the Jobe you see on the pitch goes well with the student I knew of in school. When he is really hungry for something though you know about it, first half against birmingham at St. Andrews is a perfect example of this.
We all want him to succeed but Jobe struggles with what Jobe has always struggled with, attitude. I hope as he matures more he will become the player he is destined to be.

Thought I'd give Sunderland fans an insight of someone who saw him day to day.

I often drop into your forums to see how Jobe is getting on.

I always thought the Bellinghams were itching to get Jobe back into the stewardship of Speakman since the day he left us 3 years ago. He was massively influential in the rise of Jude and the early years of Jobe's development.

When Jude broke into the Birmingham first team at 16 there was (apparently) a clause in his contract guaranteeing him game time. This worked well for Jude and when he was looking to move on he chose a club who was going to play him, knocking back Man Utd in the process as I assume they wouldn't have guaranteed he played every week. By the time he turned 18 Jude had a full season in the Bundesliga, scored against Man City in a Champions League quarter final and was runner up to Pedri in the Kopa Trophy. At the same age as Jobe he had made 10 senior England appearances. At 19 he was captain of Dortmund when they narrowly lost the title to Bayern on the last day of the season.

I guess the same philosophy of shoehorning Jobe into the first team is what's being played out, in that the Bellinghams and Speakman reckon this will help him develop and it will gain him exposure. Just like Jude's contracts at Birmingham and Dortmund, I can only assume there is something similar going on with Jobe at Sunderland.

I agree with most posters on here who are saying he needs a reset, he needs to understand what his best position is and focus on that. I don't think he's like his brother, who can play anywhere, Jobe was always a forward in his youth whereas Jude was developed as a box-to-box player. Its unfair to be asking Jobe to develop as quickly as Jude and no doubt there is a significant amount of expectation he's having to deal with. Take him out of the limelight, bring him on later in games when he can offer something different and he'll gain a lot of confidence and hunger. He seems like a player who'll develop over time and that's the expectation everyone should have.

Was only a few months back people were saying he was going to be in an England midfield 3 with his brother and Rigg. The fan base don't half jump to extremes at times

Lewis Miley is starting week in week out for the mags at 17 year old in a much much better league. Why should age matter? Bellingham is rancid doesnt matter if hes 18,28 or 38 it’s beside the point hes just gash

We've seen multiple times that kids that age can't start all year. Dan Neil couldn't and now looks the part. But he needed a rest and Alex Neil gave him one about now in the season. Doyle as well.

Miley hasn't been starting since the start of the season. He won't be able to start every game till season end. He will need a rest in a month or so.

We've seen multiple times that kids that age can't start all year. Dan Neil couldn't and now looks the part. But he needed a rest and Alex Neil gave him one about now in the season. Doyle as well.

Miley hasn't been starting since the start of the season. He won't be able to start every game till season end. He will need a rest in a month or so.
Really? he was terrible yesterday in my opinion

Back