Beatles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rooftop concert.

50 years ago today.

Last time the Fab 4 played together in public.

Couple of good books out on this historic last "live gig" together....both well worth reading:cool:

Couple of good books out on this historic last "live gig" together....both well worth reading:cool:
Would have been fantastic to have stumbled across the gig during your lunch break.

"You're late, where have you been?"

"Sorry about that, just been watching The Beatles".

"Aye,reeto".

Last edited:
Used to listen to The Beatles on a regular basis but very rare now.... Not sure why as I still like them.
Especially some of the later stuff.
Lennon was class in Beatles, wrote some off the wall stuff but classics as well. McCartney never liked as much but can't knock he's talent.
Thought Harrison wrote some classics like, While My Guitar, Something, Taxman, Here Comes The Sun

The Beatles on the Roof by Tony Barrell

Roof: The Beatles Final Concert by Ken Mansfield (he's the one in the white jacket pictured on the book cover).

In both books they both describe how roadies had to struggle up flights of narrow stairs lugging up Billy Preston's Hammond organ that had to be dismantled first:D

Would have been fantastic to have stumbled across the gig during your lunch break.

"You're late, where have you been?"

"Sorry about that, just been watching The Beatles".

"Aye,reeto".

I know....imagine saying you "were there", or being stood on the pavement below and hearing the band in full swing but being unable to see them from where you were stood:cry:

When I get home from work tonight I'm going to stick on my Get Back documentary DVD and watch this 37 minute live "happening".

Don't Let Me Down on continual play.....love this track:D

The Beatles on the Roof by Tony Barrell

Roof: The Beatles Final Concert by Ken Mansfield (he's the one in the white jacket pictured on the book cover).

In both books they both describe how roadies had to struggle up flights of narrow stairs lugging up Billy Preston's Hammond organ that had to be dismantled first:D

I know....imagine saying you "were there", or being stood on the pavement below and hearing the band in full swing but being unable to see them from where you were stood:cry:

When I get home from work tonight I'm going to stick on my Get Back documentary DVD and watch this 37 minute live "happening".

Don't Let Me Down on continual play.....love this track:D

Let It Be DVD....edit.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's because they gave up live gigs in 66
Big part of being considered great i would say

Peculiar thing to say.
Not really,the records are what define them but all you see visually is black n white shakey head teeny pop stuff .Other greats Led zep,Floyd,Cream ,hendrix etc you have this great live footage that completes the picture .Turns out the packed in live stuff which i think is a chink in the armour

Last edited:

Not really,the records are what define them but all you see visually is black n white shakey head teeny pop stuff .Other greats Led zep,Floyd,Cream ,hendrix etc you have this great live footage that completes the picture .Turns out the packed in live stuff which i think is a chink in the armour
I take your point but don't really agree that live footage is necessary to make a band great, especially not a big part.

The crucial word! People are always comparing their stuff to what they have heard since, but they broke so much new ground at the time. Guitar band with three voices, rather than singer + musicians. Wrote their own stuff. Fantastic songwriters. Pathfinders for the psychedelic wave. Said what they liked in interviews. Showed active disrespect to their 'elders and betters'. Politically aware {Lennon and Harrison anyway.) Showed that four working-class lads from 'the North' could take the world of popular culture by storm. If their early stuff sounded 'like @tunstall birdman poems' you should have heard what they were competing with at the time! They were at the cutting edge of a movement that gave young working-class kids a voice.
They changed the world, and largely for the better.
:eek::lol::lol:

Mind I agree that they were innovators of music and helped shape the world with their influence on music culture and social culture. Plus they wrote some cracking songs!!

There aren't Pink Floyd and by this I mean proper Pink Floyd (Waters) captured gigs around, Pompei aside, which is a film shoot.
Shakey camcorder footage of The Wall.

Giving up playing live is what gave them the freedom to develop musically, that’s when they truly became great.

Look at the difference between Beatles For Sale and Rubber Soul. Chalk and cheese.

Giving up playing live is what gave them the freedom to develop musically, that’s when they truly became great.

Look at the difference between Beatles For Sale and Rubber Soul. Chalk and cheese.
To be fair they were still touring when RS was released. Though it was a game changer. A proper album rather than a collection of songs.

I take your point but don't really agree that live footage is necessary to make a band great, especially not a big part.
Not so much the footage but that's what we'd judge
More the fact they did it

There aren't Pink Floyd and by this I mean proper Pink Floyd (Waters) captured gigs around, Pompei aside, which is a film shoot.
Shakey camcorder footage of The Wall.
See above ,just the fact they weren't a live phenomenon like a lot of the heavyweights are known for
Not judging them on live dvd potential

Nah ,sorry ..Every other band managed ,loads of band made massive creative leaps and toured. Writing songs that are difficult to tour has been a problem many a band overcame
I'm a massive Kate Bush fan but she bottled it
It's their choice but I think it's fair to include it in judging greatness

Last edited:
Not so much the footage but that's what we'd judge
More the fact they did it

See above ,just the fact they weren't a live phenomenon like a lot of the heavyweights are known for
Not judging them on live dvd potential
I don't think you are making absolute lucid sense, mate; you introduced the live footage (that completes the picture) arc to the topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back