Barnsley - Bookies favourites for the league

• Thread starter Deleted member 41941
  • Start date

Don't agree with that mind.

Over the course of the season I can see us winning the league outright.

Where's this faith for Barnsley come from?

It's fair.. They've been more convincing than us in many ways tbh. I'd expect sunderland and Barnsley to be battling it out for top two come the end of the season but so far Barnsley have impressed more than we have.

It's fair.. They've been more convincing than us in many ways tbh. I'd expect sunderland and Barnsley to be battling it out for top two come the end of the season but so far Barnsley have impressed more than we have.
They’ve impressed more than we have but are only two points ahead. Pretty close then

might have something to do with only 1 defeat,free scoring,ability to keep a decent amount of clean sheetes,a squad not ripped apart after relegation,other than they are pretty shit,certs for relegation lol

They’ve impressed more than we have but are only two points ahead. Pretty close then

Like I said I expect them and sunderland to be battling out the two top come the end of season.. But if you had to go by the standard they are both playing now you'd fancy Barnsley more

Barnsley in comparison with us thou.

We have players coming back from injury.
Wyke, Watmore, Gooch, Hume, Loovens. Can't find a list for League One, but at the moment the injury list for a premiership club has an average of over 4 players on it. Injuries are normal, ours is a bit high, but nothing out of the ordinary. They'll come back ... and others will be injured.

The team's starting to gel.

Geling? Our early form was much better than recent form. First six games WDWWWD 14 pts, most recent six games DLWDDW 9pts.

We've got the January transfer window to work with.

... but so have Barnsley, Portsmouth etc. Must clubs with a shout at promotion in January usually use the window to strengthen. And we could lose players in Jan ... Oviedo, Catts are on unjustifiable wages for a club in our position, and I imagine to a lesser extent McGeady. And Maja could well attract attention. From a playing point of view I hope we don't lose them, but it's possible that we will be weaker come Jan 31st, even with replacements.

Just feel we can get promoted with the silverware aswell.

So do I ... but that has a lot to do with me being a Sunderland fan with red'n'white tinted spectacles. It will be competitive, but we are competing for the first time in a while. And that makes it exciting.

I think people should relax.

I think Peterborough will fall away and the start flatters them. Likewise Doncaster will have a bad spell.

It'll be two from us Barnsley and Portsmouth. Barnsley look more impressive in terms of dispatching the better teams at the moment. But they have slipped up at silly times. Portsmouth look more consistent and Kenny Jackett is the safest pair of hands in the league - they will get up.

I think we will improve. I think what we have shown relative to Barnsley is a bit of spirit, more winning when not on song. I see us improving more than them because the summer was f***ing carnage - we've a whole new team, structural upheavals off the pitch, and are only just getting some confidence back. Not just on the pitch, but the whole club.

If it gets close too, our fans and stadium can come into it.

They've been better than us and can keep clean sheets

They haven’t been much better than us to be fair. They’ve also managed to keep hold most of their players. We’ve replaced the majority of ours with a new manager and staff to boot. We’ll get better.

I’m confident we’ll win the league.

I think they are definitely the favourite. Look all round better than us. There is a real optimism around the town right now, they are playing some brilliant football and their manager says they have loads more to come. Had a good chat with some insiders at the club yesterday and I reckon they are nailed on to win the league.

Hopefully be wrong but I’d take second to them now.

They haven’t been much better than us to be fair. They’ve also managed to keep hold most of their players. We’ve replaced the majority of ours with a new manager and staff to boot. We’ll get better.

I’m confident we’ll win the league.

Likewise but based on the season so far I can see why the bookies are thinking the way they are

We've dropped to 5th today, 7 points behind the leaders but with a game in hand.

Logon or register to see this image

We all need to start crossing our fingers in the hope the top 2 drop points somewhere along the line. It's out of our hands otherwise. All we can do is win our games and hope for the best.

We've dropped to 5th today, 7 points behind the leaders but with a game in hand.

We all need to start crossing our fingers in the hope the top 2 drop points somewhere along the line. It's out of our hands otherwise. All we can do is win our games and hope for the best.

Peterborough aren’t that good. I’m surprised how consistent Portsmouth have been.

I've said from pre season they'll win league. They're a strong physical side with good attacking options. Whereas with us you always feel like we can be bullied in the air

Peterborough aren’t that good. I’m surprised how consistent Portsmouth have been.

Same but I suppose good defences go along way. That and Ronan Curtis has been find of the summer

A thing in our favour is our squad strength in depth. Peterborough/Barnsley/Doncaster have a decent first XI but when injuries and suspensions kick in they'll start dropping points.

On their day, Barnsley can beat any team in the league. It wouldn't surprise me if they do the double over Peterborough, Sunderland and Pompey. Where they may fall down is grinding out wins against the smaller teams. I hope they fall away, but they'll almost certainly be top three at least.

Back