Bands you don’t hear of much that are still out there.

One of the all time great YouTube videos is poór old Bobby Kimbell singing Africa at some fuck off Shitville, Arizona type festival. Its astonishing that he was capable of failing to sing a note in tune
I saw that a while ago. Pretty painful to watch. Not sure what happened there, maybe his monitors were off but when I saw him, his voice was pretty decent - maybe a bit flaky on the higher notes here and there. I think he`s suffering from dementia now and no longer sings.
Department S (is vic there?) no original members.
Greatest single of all time :D

Last edited:

Yeah it's a bit sad really..I'm expecting the Stranglers on Thursday to be the last time..although they said the tour before was the last one..i mean lately..Sabbath..Kiss..the Eagles are on their final tour..Foreigner..be weird when it's gone.
The Stranglers will keep going for as long as JJ is able to - but even at 72 he’s like a machine
The sets at the weekend contained stuff they’ve never played in years, if ever , so it’s not like they’re churning out the same set year after year
Edinburgh and Glasgow were up there with the best of the gigs I’ve seen them play in 47 years

I saw them about 10 years ago Charlie Harper must be some age now...
He was too old for punk even when it started, if you could be too old for punk. I have Another kind of blues on blue vinyl somewhere, but nothing to play it on. Cracking album.

I have seen the Rezillos 3 times in the last 3 years, vastly underrated band but not a huge back catalogue.
Too late to edot my last post, saw Bad Manners just before Christmas supported by Max Splodge from Splodgness Abounds.

I did wonder what Max Splodge would do, since they only had one hit, but he did his one hit then a medley of punk songs.

Last edited:
He was too old for punk even when it started, if you could be too old for punk. I have Another kind of blues on blue vinyl somewhere, but nothing to play it on. Cracking album.

I have seen the Rezillos 3 times in the last 3 years, vastly underrated band but not a huge back catalogue.
Too late to edot my last post, saw Bad Manners just before Christmas supported by Max Splodge from Splodgness Abounds.

I did wonder what Max Splodge would do, since they only had one hit, but he did his one hit then a medley of punk songs.
I saw Splodgenessabounds at Sunderland Polytechnic in 1982..i was actually sick on the front of the stage while they were playing..😅🤮

Ooh enjoy!

We're going to the Fire Station in a couple of weeks to see them. Try to go every time they tour.

I actually thought i was going to see them at the Fire Station until the Mrs corrected me last week. Instead we are travelling into darkest Newcastle to the boiler shop :-O Saw them in Boro a few years ago with Mike Peters and Tony was still in the band and they put on a good show. Not sure if this is the full Steeltown album tour, or a bit of everything chucked in
Going to see them in couple of weeks
He’s still a moody teenager

Enjoy mate. Let me know how they are. I'd probably still go and see them to be honest as I think Will Sargeant is a vastly underrated guitarist.

Last edited:
The Stranglers will keep going for as long as JJ is able to - but even at 72 he’s like a machine
The sets at the weekend contained stuff they’ve never played in years, if ever , so it’s not like they’re churning out the same set year after year
Edinburgh and Glasgow were up there with the best of the gigs I’ve seen them play in 47 years
The setlist looks excellent for long standing fans. This is how to do it. Lots of classics, a few new songs and loads of stuff they haven`t played in years - wish KISS would have done that instead of playing exactly the same stuff for the last 20 years

They’ve had a real renaissance over the past 10 or so years
Social media seems to have brought a huge number of the original fans back and there’s a growing number of new and young fans
The weekend gigs in Glasgow and Edinburgh were rammed (7k plus over the 2 nights) and the rest of the tour is sold out - they’re actually playing larger venues than they have in decades such is the interest
As for the album, it was so anticipated and probably interest was enhanced by it being the last album that Dave Greenfield would play on
It made number 4 - their highest placing for 40 years - then fell right back out - obviously everyone who wanted it had ordered it in advance but whichever way you look at it a number 4 placing is pretty good for a band who hadn’t had a decent chart placing in 4 decades
People now realise it’s only got a finite amount of time and are making telhe most of them while they are still able to
We're off to see them at the Royal Albert Hall at the end of this month.

Seen them last year..he never missed a note..honestly..superb.
Got my photo took with him last year.

Also literally bumped into him as I was going in, he was coming out a door about 15 yr ago. Said 'Alright Charlie ya owld c*nt' and he laughed and shook my hand. The Wench gave me a right telling off for it. Was canny mortal like.

Clear ya inbox btw I'll message you about Friday

You seem to get different types. Some of these bands have been quite successful and can draw punters in who recognise the name from the successful period and you get bands, Wilco for example, who have never really had anything that would be recognised in the mainstream but continue to sell and tour to a solid, if slightly limited, fanbase.

Don't know what this says about my taste :lol:, but I've seen a few of these mentions in recent memory (Billy Idol, Eels, and They Might Be Giants - TMBG in the past 18 months or so) and am seeing another 3 in the next couple of months (Teenage Fanclub, Echo & the Bunnymen, Bad Religion).

I'll add Jesus Jones and Adam Ant (70-ish:eek:) / The Beat to the list - I'm seeing both in the next month

Don't know what this says about my taste :lol:, but I've seen a few of these mentions in recent memory (Billy Idol, Eels, and They Might Be Giants - TMBG in the past 18 months or so) and am seeing another 3 in the next couple of months (Teenage Fanclub, Echo & the Bunnymen, Bad Religion).

I'll add Jesus Jones and Adam Ant (70-ish:eek:) / The Beat to the list - I'm seeing both in the next month

It's weird but I don't think of Eels or Teenage Fanclub as not being current or having a low profile but I think that's because they're very much on my radar when it comes to their new music. Adam Ant and Billy Idol are very much of an era. The Bunnymen too, I guess, I know they're still a going concern and still make albums but I don't listen to their new stuff and would probably only go and see them if a mate was offering me a spare ticket. Julian Cope, who's a direct contemporary, on the other hand, is someone whose new music I lap up and who I will go to see live.

It's weird but I don't think of Eels or Teenage Fanclub as not being current or having a low profile but I think that's because they're very much on my radar when it comes to their new music. Adam Ant and Billy Idol are very much of an era. The Bunnymen too, I guess, I know they're still a going concern and still make albums but I don't listen to their new stuff and would probably only go and see them if a mate was offering me a spare ticket. Julian Cope, who's a direct contemporary, on the other hand, is someone whose new music I lap up and who I will go to see live.
Agreed. I've passed up the Bunnymen over here a few times, and I'm probably only going this time because it's a Songs to Learn and Sing tour (and my birthday!) - it's another one of those "check them off the list while you still can" esp when it's a playing the oldies kind of opportunity. That's the only era I'd be interested in. There's definitely a difference between bands playing a best of set or a specific album, like a lot of these bands do these days, and someone like TFC who still put out new material and play a lot of the new stuff, like a standard tour, when you go and see them

Back