Bands who sound like other bands

Gene - Smiths / Morrissey
When I saw the thread I thought of this one. Love the Smiths, but Gene, despite being a bit too obviously influenced by Morrissey/Smiths were excellent in their own right and I think could easily have been more successful...first two albums did well but they never had stand out singles that climbed the charts. I regret I never saw the Smiths, though I did go to Gene gig once upon a time. They were very good but I wish it was the other way round.

Last edited:
Charlatans - Small Faces
Ocean Colour Scene - Small Faces
Oasis - Small Faces

In fact, I'm sure most indie bans in the 90s just picked one Small Faces tune each and made a career out of that.

Puss N Boots by New York Dolls and Liar by Sex Pistols! Only recently discovered this

And Lydon sings a lot like Alice Cooper

Black Crowes sound a lot like The Faces

Early Duran Duran is very Roxy Music

Kimberley by Patti Smith and Hand That Rocks The Cradle by The Smiths

Brotherhood of Man were a gross copy of ABBA

Nickelback are a brainless version of Nirvana

The Mission a dumb version of the Sisters of Mercy

When I saw the thread I thought of this one. Love the Smiths, but Gene, despite being a bit too obviously influenced by Morrissey/Smiths were excellent in their own right and I think could easily have been more successful...first two albums did well but they never had stand out singles that climbed the charts. I regret I never saw the Smiths, though I did go to Gene gig once upon a time. They were very good but I wish it was the other way round.
Gene should have been so much bigger. Olympian and Fighting Fit are magnificent tunes.

I doubt Paul Heaton would sing exactly like he does had The Housemartins not appeared a couple of years after The Smiths

Pantera / Exhorder
Exhorder`s latest album Mourn The Southern Skies, is absolutely brilliant
Exhorder are 10 times heavier.
Totally agree - much heavier bass. Always felt Pantera had a horrible tinny sound.
Frank Marino.........claimed he was Jimi Hendrix re-incarnate didn't he?
I interviewed him during lock down and mentioned this. He said how could he be Hendrix`s reincarnation when Hendrix was still alive at the time.

Last edited:
Exhorder`s latest album Mourn The Southern Skies, is absolutely brilliant

Totally agree - much heavier bass. Always felt Pantera had a horrible tinny sound.

I interviewed him during lock down and mentioned this. He said how could he be Hendrix`s reincarnation when Hendrix was still alive at the time.
I'll have a listen to Exhorder's new album. Didn't realise they had one. Great band.

Puss N Boots by New York Dolls and Liar by Sex Pistols! Only recently discovered this

And Lydon sings a lot like Alice Cooper

Black Crowes sound a lot like The Faces

Early Duran Duran is very Roxy Music

Kimberley by Patti Smith and Hand That Rocks The Cradle by The Smiths

Brotherhood of Man were a gross copy of ABBA

Nickelback are a brainless version of Nirvana

The Mission a dumb version of the Sisters of Mercy
Lydon stated on record he loved Alice Cooper
Also I think he sang Eighteen a Cooper track as an audition iirc.

Think Duran were more like Japan who as you say were very early Roxy Music sounding

The Cure & New Order

Not sure why this seems to be so outrageous like :lol: don't think the lad's suggesting The Cure have an album like Technique or New Order have an album like Disintegration. At times they clearly sound more alike than any other two bands mentioned in this thread. Obvious three off the top of my head are

Dreams Never End v Inbetween Days
Blue Monday v The Walk
All The Way v Just Like Heaven

Back