Baltimore bridge collapse

Nee anchor like ? hoy that hewer ower the side

Anyhow, all bridges should be fitted with airbags on the fragile bits, owt hits it just pings them back upstream
He did put the anchors down but it didn't stop it in time.

"The ship dropped its anchors as part of an emergency procedure before hitting the bridge, the Maritime and Port Authority of Singapore told CNN."

Last edited:
You'd need to factor in the cost of the buttress in order to protect it from a ship this size then how many other bridges do you modify versus the chances of this happening ? It would probably run into billions.

You’re right. What would you say this one accident is going to cost once everything is factored in?

He did put the anchors down but it didn't stop it in time.

"The ship dropped its anchors as part of an emergency procedure before hitting the bridge, the Maritime and Port Authority of Singapore told CNN."

All ships should have a fail safe plug hole on the bottom so they could sacrifice themselves in such incidents. In danger of crashing, just pull the plug and sink instead

Some good drone footage of the site.

They estimate $15 million per day for the port closure.

That's going to focus some minds on getting that channel safe and open.

Even if they manage to get it done, that's over $200 million before you have paid for the clearance teams and equipment.

Britannia Steamship is the P&I for this one. It's going to be massive. The shipowner is responsible for any damage caused by their ships, even if it's purely accidental, doesn't matter if there is no malice or negligence.

So basically their insurers are going to have pay for the bridge!

This will be shared across the whole market through re-insurance, so basically we will all pay for it in our insurance policies.

Always thought it came from feminine? As in lightweight and weak?

Not very PC nowadays! :)
Not many lightweight females nowadays marra.

You’re right. What would you say this one accident is going to cost once everything is factored in?

No idea. To rebuild the bridge and compensate the families alone will probably cost 200 million at a guess since they'll pretty much have to build an entirely new bridge. But it's still an extremely rare event and preventing it happening again would be hard. Maybe bridges like this could have some kind of radar beacon which sounds an alarm in the ship when it is approaching ?
Edit* according to this site
"According to official numbers, the construction of the bridge in 1977 cost $60 million, which is equivalent to about $300 million after factoring in inflation. However, reconstruction “could cost 10 times more,” that is, close to $600 million, according to engineer David MacKenzie speaking to NBC News."

Last edited:
For the same reason they don't build a "Poseidon" door into ships' hulls. Someone from, say pick any town at random, say Crook, would open it to see what happens if you open it.
:lol:

Still dont really understand why he didnt set himself off miles away not heading for the massive gap between the two pillars. Nobody sensible would leave it until the last few hundred meters. I`d want to see the gap i was aiming for miles away directly ahead

Still dont really understand why he didnt set himself off miles away not heading for the massive gap between the two pillars. Nobody sensible would leave it until the last few hundred meters. I`d want to see the gap i was aiming for miles away directly ahead
Did dropping the anchor not set the carrier on a different course? Could it have made the gap if they hadn't followed protocol?

No idea. To rebuild the bridge and compensate the families alone will probably cost 200 million at a guess since they'll pretty much have to build an entirely new bridge. But it's still an extremely rare event and preventing it happening again would be hard. Maybe bridges like this could have some kind of radar beacon which sounds an alarm in the ship when it is approaching ?
Edit* according to this site
"According to official numbers, the construction of the bridge in 1977 cost $60 million, which is equivalent to about $300 million after factoring in inflation. However, reconstruction “could cost 10 times more,” that is, close to $600 million, according to engineer David MacKenzie speaking to NBC News."

In which case do you suggest they don’t install pier protection and pay for damage etc each time a bridge is accidentally knocked down? Based on cost.

Did dropping the anchor not set the carrier on a different course? Could it have made the gap if they hadn't followed protocol?

I've only ever seen them on pirate ships and the ones used by buccaneers etc but I can imagine it dragging it to one of the sides.

Should always be heading plumb centre not arsing on way off to one side

In which case do you suggest they don’t install pier protection and pay for damage etc each time a bridge is accidentally knocked down? Based on cost.

I don't know where or why you are going with this argument ? I've said that I think it's likely that the cost of retrofitting every existing bridge with protection to guard against the tiny chance of this happening would be enormous.
I've never said, nor would I say , that they shouldn't pay for the damage. Why would you infer that I would say such a thing ?

The ship weighed 100,000 tons. It would need to be a hell of an anchor to change the course of something that weight at speed.

Last edited:
Well if the ship owners' have to pay compo to the port authority for their losses each time it happens, why should the port authority bother to spend money to prevent this sort of incident?

Likewise, I'm sure they could have dredged a wider channel but that would cost a lot more than just making the ships use a narrower channel that passes right next to the support that was hit.

PS If the ship owners' start rising the price the charge to transport containers to/from Baltimore then that's one way for them to reclaim the costs of this, and it might even be fair.

Last edited:

Back