Bacon sarnie - a special secret ‘life hack’

I've bought the offcut packs before
All goes in the pan
Rarely eat bacon now and just make a choice there and then. Wouldn't know the price

My daughter (no) has just gone to uni and while shopping for groceries I mentioned the importance of "eye line is buy line".
She looked quite confused (or it might have been distain), so I explained that the expensive stuff is always in front of your nose, but the cheaper stuff will be higher or lower on the shelves.

As an example, we looked at pasta sauce. As you walk up, Lloyd Grossman has the prime place at £3 a jar.
Underneath was all of the Dolmio range for about £2.75.
Looking down to your feet you see value ranges where a jar is about 85p.
Naturally I let her buy what she wanted as Dad was paying, but when she's on a student budget it always worth remembering not to buy whats in front of your nose and look around.
It’s even better if you don’t buy over priced jars of sauces full of sugar and salt. A tomat sauce for pasta can be made simply and cheaply and taste far better than a jar of stuff made in a factory two years ago.

it’s really quick and easy to do.

Well I've just bought some of this (and it was for the intended purpose of use as a cooking ingredient) and it would be absolutely no good for making sandwiches like.

Hate that term life hack, but I used it anyway so suck it up haters…

I love a bacon sarnie on a morning but jeez the price is ridiculous around £3 for 300gms, a few weeks back I discovered ‘cooking bacon’ it is usually on the bottom shelf of the bacon and you get 1kg for £2 that’s crazy

the bacon is often thick cut chunks and it’s not a ‘pretty’ shape or uniform but it tastes the same

after extensive research Lidl and Aldi seem to do the best ‘cooking bacon’ 🥓

thank me later
I only like mine raw really so I'm out

I have a similar life hack, instead of buying the overpriced Heinz beans I looked lower down and found Tesco value beans for half the price, amazingly they tasted like shite but still cooked and was able to put them on toast.
Bean hack - buy the cheap ones and add a squirt of tomato purée.

Yeh, anar reet?!

Back