Back to two divisions

Just listened to Marty's post match interview with Franklin after the Gloustershire defeat and talking about next season Marty was saying his information is that the conference system will stay in place for 2022 which is the complete opposite to the Times article. Franklin responded with a straight bat.
Looks like Marty had the right information a while ago.

Mate, you really need to get that chip off your shoulder.
Or you need to take your blinkers off. How does a regionalised conference system lessen any potential covid risks than a diviisional system? Durham supporters also have a chip on the soldier regarding the Surrey cancellation when other covid affected games went ahead.?

Or you need to take your blinkers off. How does a regionalised conference system lessen any potential covid risks than a diviisional system? Durham supporters also have a chip on the soldier regarding the Surrey cancellation when other covid affected games went ahead.?
I've made it quite clear that I agree, and don't want the conference system. I've always posted plenty of times that if it were to go back to two divisions, if it were done on merit, we'd be in Div two. It's where our performances, unfortunately, over the last two years warrant.

The Durham postponement was a disgrace, too.

But this constant inference that were cozy with the ECB and they bend to our every whim is just ignorant nonsense.

Even major cricket writers have commented on how much hatred there is between the Oval and The ECB. We were the only county to truly stand against the hundred, including your lot. It's only what, two years ago? That the ECB threatened to remove the Ovals Test status - despite it being the most lucrative venue for the ECB - unless we ceeded to their Hundred scam.

I've no issue with people slagging us off on the pitch. I've no issue with people having an issue with the Durham debacle.

But the "ECB just bend over for Surrey" is lazy, unintelligent, easily debunked, clearly nonsense, and thrown around by thickies with a chip on their shoulder.

But the "ECB just bend over for Surrey" is lazy, unintelligent, easily debunked, clearly nonsense, and thrown around by thickies with a chip on their shoulder.
Oops, I appear to have hit a raw nerve.
Agreeing to cancel the Surrrey fixture when others proceeded doesn't suggest favouritism? Can you suggest any valid reason why ECB are against an immediate return to a divisional structure? I look for a valid reason for that action; suggests some favouritism to some counties who are placed into Div 2.
I'm quite amenable to a regional structure. It makes away fixtures more accessible.

Last edited:
Prefer the 2 divisions but this conference system has led to a brilliant finish this season for the 6 teams who have been the best teams. However not sure this would be the norm.

As a footnote big problems at Sussex with the club's policy to concentrate on T20 cricket.
This. I’m sure there’s a way we can redesign it to be interesting for all divisions - have a playoff for all 3 leagues and a division 1, 2, 3 winner crowned or something.

This. I’m sure there’s a way we can redesign it to be interesting for all divisions - have a playoff for all 3 leagues and a division 1, 2, 3 winner crowned or something.

There’s no way. If it’s decided that the conference system will determine which teams feed into where the year after in a two divisional structure it’ll still mean the 6 teams who end up in the bottom tier of a three tier conference have fuckall to play for except being guaranteed to be in Division Two.

There’s no way. If it’s decided that the conference system will determine which teams feed into where the year after in a two divisional structure it’ll still mean the 6 teams who end up in the bottom tier of a three tier conference have fuckall to play for except being guaranteed to be in Division Two.
Not really - it could become a promotion/relegation 3 league system, so essentially what we have now but with smaller divisions and a playoff to go up or something. No reason that it couldn’t be tweaked to work in my eyes, but I do agree in its current form it’s a bit short of what it needs to be

Mark Robinson spoke really well on Sky after the Bob Willis game. Came out very much in favour of the two divisions and that he enjoys the sense that every result matters, especially scrapping for a draw which he feels has been lost with the new format. It’s also an art that I feel has gone out of the game in this country. Sides tend to fold when they’re under pressure and can’t win the game

Back