Autism

Status
Not open for further replies.

I am at the children's centre on Durham Road and my 7 year old son has just gone down with the doctor for his ADOS assesment. It is looking highly likely he has what used to be known as Aspergers Syndrome, but it all just come under ASD now. He is very very clever, probably the cleverest in his class at school and could read perfectly when he was 3. However he struggles with social skills, has always had obsessions which he can talk none stop about, but cant have a conversation about anything that doesn't interest him. He also has poor fine motor skills and is receiving occupational therapy. He cant use cutlery very well, ride a bike, catch a ball, do buttons, zips etc. As i am sitting here bored while he is assessed i just wondered if anyone elses kids on here have been diagnosed with autism, and how are they getting on now? I already have a disabled 16 year old daughter and am a single mam so its a bit daunting thinking of the future.

I have a cousin who has Asperger's. He is almost the stereotypical Asperger's case: very smart, extremely good with computers (he once hacked into a school system's central system to change his grades), but also very particular about many things and has difficulty relating to people socially because he does not understand non-literal social interactions (like sarcasm or something as simple as "How are you," which is not actually an invitation to tell someone how you are) without training. Through extensive practice and training, he can at least get through standard social interactions with no great issues now. He had tremendous trouble growing up with multiple non-Asperger's siblings, who didn't cut him a lot of slack, but he's now in his early 20s, lives on his own and holds down a job sufficient to support himself.

Bullying is the thing that I dread most. He is fine at this age, he has been with the same kids since nursery and he is pretty popular. I am dreading him going to secondary school already. He is a lovely little lad, really kind and loving, and the thoughts of anyone bullying him kills me.

I didn't see that but i have recorded it, I will watch it when I get home.

Have you considered the idea of him attending a special needs school mate? I work with a man who has Aspergers, and he was bullied at School, but he eventually left to attend a special needs School, and said that he went on to make lots of friends, and excelled academically.

Reactions: JJH
I have 3 boys aged 9, 5 & 3, and they all have ASD. I wouldn't change them for the world. In fact my oldest son Nathan was the inspiration behind my idea for the Nathan Shippey Sensory Room at the Sol which opened last summer. The difficulties I faced taking Nathan to the match a couple of years ago now gave me the idea for the room. Nathan struggled with the noise & atmosphere but still wanted to watch his team live. I realised that there was a gap in the market so to speak & that wheelchair bound supporters were well catered for, but fans with sensory needs had no appropriate facilities available to them, hence my idea for the sensory room. As I've said before, I got lots of supportive emails, a petition & the equality act involved, & eventually got the club to install the room. We won an award at the stadium awards 2016 last month. I have now gained charity status for my campaign (reg. No. 1166989) & am working on getting sensory rooms nationwide. The Shippey Campaign had great news earlier this month when Rangers FC announced that they are constructing a sensory room at Ibrox. I met with them in Jan of this year & great progress has been made. Hopefully more clubs will follow suit & open rooms at the start of the season. I'm also hoping all this will raise awareness & understanding & improve facilities for those with Autism.

I have a cousin who has Asperger's. He is almost the stereotypical Asperger's case: very smart, extremely good with computers (he once hacked into a school system's central system to change his grades), but also very particular about many things and has difficulty relating to people socially because he does not understand non-literal social interactions (like sarcasm or something as simple as "How are you," which is not actually an invitation to tell someone how you are) without training. Through extensive practice and training, he can at least get through standard social interactions with no great issues now. He had tremendous trouble growing up with multiple non-Asperger's siblings, who didn't cut him a lot of slack, but he's now in his early 20s, lives on his own and holds down a job sufficient to support himself.

My little boy is amazing with computers too. He does things on it that I have no clue how to do. For example he goes into game files and changes the text so he can get cheats and power ups for his games without having to earn them through playing. I have no idea how he knows how to do it.
He is also very literal. If I want to get a photo of him and he is looking down & I tell him to look up (really meaning look straight ahead at the camera) he literally looks right up at the sky.
He has 2 sisters, his oldest is 18 and his best friend, they adore each other and I know she will always look out for him. His other sister is 16 but has severe mental and physical disabilities due to a chromosome disorder but he still loves her to bits. She will need 24 hour care all her life so it would be nice to think my little boy could grow up and live independantly one day. Your post gives me some hope of that at least.

My little boy is amazing with computers too. He does things on it that I have no clue how to do. For example he goes into game files and changes the text so he can get cheats and power ups for his games without having to earn them through playing. I have no idea how he knows how to do it.
He is also very literal. If I want to get a photo of him and he is looking down & I tell him to look up (really meaning look straight ahead at the camera) he literally looks right up at the sky.
He has 2 sisters, his oldest is 18 and his best friend, they adore each other and I know she will always look out for him. His other sister is 16 but has severe mental and physical disabilities due to a chromosome disorder but he still loves her to bits. She will need 24 hour care all her life so it would be nice to think my little boy could grow up and live independantly one day. Your post gives me some hope of that at least.

I am in the same position as you, my eldest son, who's 6 years old, is in the process of being diagnosed. Are his school being helpful? This can be very important, Robbie's school are backing us all the way, and this is speeding the process up a fair bit.

Have you considered the idea of him attending a special needs school mate? I work with a man who has Aspergers, and he was bullied at School, but he eventually left to attend a special needs School, and said that he went on to make lots of friends, and excelled academically.
I have thought about it, mainly for when he leaves Primary School which won't be for another 4 years yet. But I am in 2 minds as he is so bright and finds his school work easy. It seems a shame to take him from mainstream to special needs when he is so clever. My daughter attends Portland Academy but that seems to be for kids who have a lot more severe problems/disabilities than my little boy has.

I have 3 boys aged 9, 5 & 3, and they all have ASD. I wouldn't change them for the world. In fact my oldest son Nathan was the inspiration behind my idea for the Nathan Shippey Sensory Room at the Sol which opened last summer. The difficulties I faced taking Nathan to the match a couple of years ago now gave me the idea for the room. Nathan struggled with the noise & atmosphere but still wanted to watch his team live. I realised that there was a gap in the market so to speak & that wheelchair bound supporters were well catered for, but fans with sensory needs had no appropriate facilities available to them, hence my idea for the sensory room. As I've said before, I got lots of supportive emails, a petition & the equality act involved, & eventually got the club to install the room. We won an award at the stadium awards 2016 last month. I have now gained charity status for my campaign (reg. No. 1166989) & am working on getting sensory rooms nationwide. The Shippey Campaign had great news earlier this month when Rangers FC announced that they are constructing a sensory room at Ibrox. I met with them in Jan of this year & great progress has been made. Hopefully more clubs will follow suit & open rooms at the start of the season. I'm also hoping all this will raise awareness & understanding & improve facilities for those with Autism.
Fantastic work and apt username.

I am in the same position as you, my eldest son, who's 6 years old, is in the process of being diagnosed. Are his school being helpful? This can be very important, Robbie's school are backing us all the way, and this is speeding the process up a fair bit.

Kians school has been brilliant up until now. He is just finishing Year 2 and they are supporting him well. They have bought him chew buddies (as he chews his clothes) and a rubber ball thing with strings for him to play with in class to help him concentrate. He loses concentration easily and fidgets a lot. The only time he sits still is when he is on his laptop and he is in his own world then.

For what its worth i know a bloke down my local who has aspergers who is a lovely lad who everyone speaks fondly off who has a high flying job in the city. He has a wife and child also, its gard to say not too worry but it shows your son can still have a great life

Reactions: ATS
I'd honestly try not to worry (easy for me to say I know) one of my best mates is autistic now 30 but it wasn't even picked up on till he was 15. He's perfectly fine and you wouldn't know unless you knew what to look out for. His younger brother who is much further along the autistic spectrum is pretty much fine as well. He has issues with large crowds and social interactions, however he's just been to a job interviews all week on his own and managed to get one, he's 17 and I never thought I'd see the day this would happen. Too much is made about what kids can't do these days.

Kians school has been brilliant up until now. He is just finishing Year 2 and they are supporting him well. They have bought him chew buddies (as he chews his clothes) and a rubber ball thing with strings for him to play with in class to help him concentrate. He loses concentration easily and fidgets a lot. The only time he sits still is when he is on his laptop and he is in his own world then.

That's good news, if he loves computers and is good with them, encourage it, many IT companies target people like this, as they often turn out to be very gifted.

I am at the children's centre on Durham Road and my 7 year old son has just gone down with the doctor for his ADOS assesment. It is looking highly likely he has what used to be known as Aspergers Syndrome, but it all just come under ASD now. He is very very clever, probably the cleverest in his class at school and could read perfectly when he was 3. However he struggles with social skills, has always had obsessions which he can talk none stop about, but cant have a conversation about anything that doesn't interest him. He also has poor fine motor skills and is receiving occupational therapy. He cant use cutlery very well, ride a bike, catch a ball, do buttons, zips etc. As i am sitting here bored while he is assessed i just wondered if anyone elses kids on here have been diagnosed with autism, and how are they getting on now? I already have a disabled 16 year old daughter and am a single mam so its a bit daunting thinking of the future.

Kids with aspergers often turn out absolutely brilliantly. He really shouldn't have problems in future at all, it just takes a little longer when he's young to grasp some things or to get the appropriate behaviours/social bits. I wouldn't worry yourself much.

Thats brilliant, well done. I bought my little lad a season ticket a couple of years ago, mainly to keep the seat next to us free for him, but he has never used it yet. He has said he will come to the first home game against Boro with us but I am really unsure how he will take to it, especially having to sit still and the noise. The Sensory Room sounds perfect if he doesn't like the noise.

For what its worth i know a bloke down my local who has aspergers who is a lovely lad who everyone speaks fondly off who has a high flying job in the city. He has a wife and child also, its gard to say not too worry but it shows your son can still have a great life
THIS, a diagnosis is useful but doesn't mean anything in regards to what your little one will achieve in their life.

My daughter has Asperger which is a fairly uncommon diagnosis in a girl as they can present quite differently from a boy.

She is 18 now and we have had lots of issues through the years. Again very bright and she taught herself to read and wright at about three. She thrived through junior school although always did things in her own way.

The problems started in secondary school She cant read people and this lead to social anxiety and stress. This lead onto depression and we had a few very dark years full of self harm and suicidal thoughts. School took a back seat and she basically lost her education through it and her school was terrible with it basically (illegally) excluding her after a self harm incident.

I am pleased to say she is a lot better now. She still has her issues but manages them better. She has a small but close circle of friends. She is on a course in art and design leading on to costume design and textiles that she loves. She is now very happy although she has her moments.

My advice is to change your goalposts. Love him for who he is but dont have expectations.Find the things he loves and encourage. Work with his school throughout. Always be there. Also don't expect much in return as they don't have the same emotions. My daughter has only allowed me to hug her once since she was about 10 and that was when she had had a drink.

If you need to talk etc - pm me.
I think I have something in my eye.

Thats brilliant, well done. I bought my little lad a season ticket a couple of years ago, mainly to keep the seat next to us free for him, but he has never used it yet. He has said he will come to the first home game against Boro with us but I am really unsure how he will take to it, especially having to sit still and the noise. The Sensory Room sounds perfect if he doesn't like the noise.

Absolutely, might see you in there next season. The room has capacity for 3 people that require it, plus a parent/carer each. We have tried to spread the benefit around as many different people as possible, so may see you in there next season.

Last edited:
Spoken to you before about it, think it's a brilliant idea and I'm proud of our club for going along with it. Congrats on the award.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back