August Voting - Inspired by the style of Henri Cartier Bresson

Challenge winner?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Although the numbers are down the quality is still there. Well done to all who particpated. Tough one to pick but the one I voted for caught my eye. I just wondered what they spotted in the lake!

One vote from me this month and it's for I'm Not a Geordie. It's not technically the best but, for me, it really gets the spirit of HCB, particularly his 'decisive moment' crack. It really makes me wonder what the hell the person is doing in the picture.

Icarebecauseyoudo took the best picture but I'm not voting for the fucker. By his own admission it was not 'inspired' by HCB. It just happened to be a bit like one his photos. And he's too good anyway.

One vote from me this month and it's for I'm Not a Geordie. It's not technically the best but, for me, it really gets the spirit of HCB, particularly his 'decisive moment' crack. It really makes me wonder what the hell the person is doing in the picture.

Icarebecauseyoudo took the best picture but I'm not voting for the fucker. By his own admission it was not 'inspired' by HCB. It just happened to be a bit like one his photos. And he's too good anyway.

:lol: kernt

Last time I was beaten by a sprog in an incubator, this time it will be by two cute children. Fucksticks :lol:

voted on a few of these but never felt inclined to comment but congrats to icare......... the best one from all the comps ive seen(dont get to excited I know fuck all;))
The image has an amazing organic quality and whilst inert in subject still for me captures a momment as it has a great sense of life and motion:confused: see i told you knew fuck all:lol:

voted on a few of these but never felt inclined to comment but congrats to icare......... the best one from all the comps ive seen(dont get to excited I know fuck all;))
The image has an amazing organic quality and whilst inert in subject still for me captures a momment as it has a great sense of life and motion:confused: see i told you knew fuck all:lol:

Don't be hard on yourself, human evolution has been working hard for millions of years and you are the pinnacle of it's achievement :cool:

Well, if you actually voted that would be ;)

:oops: see how good it was it was able to distract me from the task in hand. Seriously whilst there have been some good images previously, yours is the only one that has garnered any response from me:?: see now i sound like im grooming you:lol: you should be proud, as this response certainly in my case raises it above the level of a photographic image

Two votes from me this month:

Icarebecauseyoudo: mysterious atmosphere and involving textures. Perhaps more Ansel Adams than HCB but still a great shot and worthy of a vote.

Peachbum: has the spirit of HCB's work about it, for me more than any of the others this month. And the slightly wonky horizon is probably something he would have left in too ;).

Taking on board the more sensitive members comments, here's my more gentler/sterile amateur views.

tom tom macute
- Almost nice symmetry but it seems "wonky" - he must be walking downhill ?

icarebecauseyoudo - Love this shot, creepy, could be a horror film set - VOTE

Elliot - Sorry I find it a bit plain and boring.

Hue Jordan - Nice, reminds me of a BBC period drama.

smoker - Nice shape framing the little girl.

Clyde - Sorry but it gives me the impression of mass Nazi salutes.

MaDMaCKeM - Sorry I find it a bit plain and boring.

peachbum - Quaint.

phil - This could have been better imo, the cars need cutting out as currently they add nothing but if it was a frontal shot of say a Ferrari behind the beggar, or even a high quality car the contrast would have said more.

The Great Soprendo
- Cute, reminds me of those "love is ..." newspaper cartoon things.

Amnorrageordie
- Sorry, I find it a bit plain and boring.

:neutral:

Quick reasons for my votes. BTW I think the photographers are entering better quality pictures by the month!

As this is an "inspired by" month it is hard to judge how you were personally inspired by HCB. So I have accepted you were inspired by him but to get my vote your picture had to give me the "feel" of an HCB photograph. I looked at loads of his photographs and his strongest ones were of people and were black and white.

TomTomMacute - Not black and white and the subject is a little too small, I would have gone in closer.

ICBYD - a well taken photograph, maybe the best of the month, but for me it needed a person or an object in it for it to stand out. From what I read HCB didn't do cropping!

Elliot - Perhaps would have gone in a little closer? Love the quirkiness of a shop on the Champs Elysees (though the road names would suggest otherwise?) with the woman in her trainers. VOTE

Hue Jorgan - This picture isn't my favourite entry of yours, the back ground tells us nothing much and the subject isn't giving much away. I would personally made more of her hair perhaps (maybe have had the lady look to the left to get more light on her hair?)

Smoker - like the photograph and if you had shot it in B&W I would probably have given it a vote, I like the lines and composition.

Clyde - like the photograph, but I'm thinking it looks a little "compressed", it doesn't look like a real crowd, so not very HCB to me.

MadMackem - This picture just misses and I'm not sure why? Maybe because you suggested it was miserable or maybe because the man gets "lost" in the centre of the picture with a main bit of the bridge coming out of his head?

Mine - Rubbish photograph. I actually quite like my entry, I was trying to remember rule of thirds, composition etc and waiting for a "pleasing group" of people that I committed the sin of sloping horizon. I'd like to go back and try to improve on that picture.

Phil - I'd like to know where the picture was taken, was it Leicester? (Thought the number plate suggests not?). Intriguing picture. The vehicles make it look a little modern though. VOTE

TGS - Picture of the month for me. It doesn't look posed, the kids look totally absorbed; and you don't necessarily think August 2011, the picture could have been taken anytime. VOTE

AmnorraGeordie - Nice idea, but I would have moved round and taken the shot from a different angle if possible, the jumper has a face full of pipes, wires and satellite dishes.

A fun theme and please take my comments as just reasons why you got my vote or not rather than anything else.

Taking on board the more sensitive members comments, here's my more gentler/sterile amateur views.
peachbum - Quaint.

An improvement on last month's comment then! :)

I actually was sort of aiming for quaint (as in a bit dated) as that was what I got from HCB's photographs, so I shall take that as a compliment.

Last edited:
Quick reasons for my votes. BTW I think the photographers are entering better quality pictures by the month!

As this is an "inspired by" month it is hard to judge how you were personally inspired by HCB. So I have accepted you were inspired by him but to get my vote your picture had to give me the "feel" of an HCB photograph. I looked at loads of his photographs and his strongest ones were of people and were black and white.

TomTomMacute - Not black and white and the subject is a little too small, I would have gone in closer.

ICBYD - a well taken photograph, maybe the best of the month, but for me it needed a person or an object in it for it to stand out. From what I read HCB didn't do cropping!

Elliot - Perhaps would have gone in a little closer? Love the quirkiness of a shop on the Champs Elysees (though the road names would suggest otherwise?) with the woman in her trainers. VOTE

Hue Jorgan - This picture isn't my favourite entry of yours, the back ground tells us nothing much and the subject isn't giving much away. I would personally made more of her hair perhaps (maybe have had the lady look to the left to get more light on her hair?)

Smoker - like the photograph and if you had shot it in B&W I would probably have given it a vote, I like the lines and composition.

Clyde - like the photograph, but I'm thinking it looks a little "compressed", it doesn't look like a real crowd, so not very HCB to me.

MadMackem - This picture just misses and I'm not sure why? Maybe because you suggested it was miserable or maybe because the man gets "lost" in the centre of the picture with a main bit of the bridge coming out of his head?

Mine - Rubbish photograph. I actually quite like my entry, I was trying to remember rule of thirds, composition etc and waiting for a "pleasing group" of people that I committed the sin of sloping horizon. I'd like to go back and try to improve on that picture.

Phil - I'd like to know where the picture was taken, was it Leicester? (Thought the number plate suggests not?). Intriguing picture. The vehicles make it look a little modern though. VOTE

TGS - Picture of the month for me. It doesn't look posed, the kids look totally absorbed; and you don't necessarily think August 2011, the picture could have been taken anytime. VOTE

AmnorraGeordie - Nice idea, but I would have moved round and taken the shot from a different angle if possible, the jumper has a face full of pipes, wires and satellite dishes.

A fun theme and please take my comments as just reasons why you got my vote or not rather than anything else.

An improvement on last month's comment then! :)

I actually was sort of aiming for quaint (as in a bit dated) as that was what I got from HCB's photographs, so I shall take that as a compliment.

how doesnt it look real? do you think i managed to get a few hundred to pretend to be a football crowd? :lol:

how doesnt it look real? do you think i managed to get a few hundred to pretend to be a football crowd? :lol:
As in, um, you, at a guess, used a lens that gave a compressed depth of field or altered the image after taking, neither of which HCB did much of (from what I have read and can see). So, obviously I didn't mean the crowd weren't real :roll:, I just meant it look compressed (ie not a true, real, lifelike image). But I explained that.

As in, um, you, at a guess, used a lens that gave a compressed depth of field or altered the image after taking, neither of which HCB did much of (from what I have read and can see). So, obviously I didn't mean the crowd weren't real :roll:, I just meant it look compressed (ie not a true, real, lifelike image). But I explained that.

nope, converted to b&w in lightroom and sharpened a little thats all, dunno what you mean by compressed, sorry.

by the way, i never looked at his work and thought "yeah i'll do something along those lines", i wasnt even gonna enter this month as didnt really wanna copy someones pic or do something like his, i have my own styles i think and only added my pic when i did eventually look at his work and thought i had something similar....a football crowd, that was all, pics nothing like his.

i dont wanna copy people, i want them to copy me.

Great entries this month, but smoker gets my vote. Looks like the type of shot HCB would take with a small colour digital camera - people and architecture interacting to create an engaging scene. I love it but can't say why, and that's exactly what I think about HCB shots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back