Atheist Britain ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narraback

Striker
A survey for the Huffington Post has uncovered some interesting figures :-

The exclusive poll for the HuffPost UK reveals that just 8% of Britons describe themselves as very religious, with more than 60% saying they were not religious at all, a massive difference to the 2011 census.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/11/03/religion-beyond-belief_n_6094442.html

More than half of Britons believe that religion does more harm than good, with less than a quarter believing faith is a force for good.

Are we ditching religion altogether ? And is this a good thing ? Also do you think our political demographic will ever mirror that of the society they represent ?

As a non believer I think it's about time we moved away from religion. It should, at most, be on the periphery. It's had it's chances, and failed repeatedly.

Booo.

Down with this sort of thing.

Careful now.

I don't think the rise of radical Islam is helping their cause either. There, I've done it :)

The wife is religious, I'm not.

However the atheists and non religious do seem to be more obsessed about religion than those who are religious.

Let them have their faith and worship. Doesn't bother me in the slightest

There's a very good reason for this, don't you think ?

I don't think the rise of radical Islam is helping their cause either. There, I've done it :)

There's a very good reason for this, don't you think ?

Tbh human nature is to meet resistance in kind, and religions are all very well-prepared for people opposing them and trying to deter them. They're not so well prepared for indifference, or for a society telling them they can crack on and we will defend their rights to practice their faith, but we run things and you don't.

Religion will inevitably be moved further towards the periphery, that much is obvious and tough on religion....that's the way history works and religion will have take it's lumps along with other social movements.

For me it depends on what we replace it with because for good or ill the religious community are still at the forefront of commenting and attempting to provide a windbreak on the dangers of issues such as unrestricted capitalism. We are becoming our own Gods (so to speak) and whether we're grown up enough to take on that responsibility? Who can say.

History is not an inevitable advancement towards progress and the effects of the marginalisation of religion will be discussed long after we've all been dispatched from this life.

I don't like the word atheist particularly. The fact that there is a word for not believing in any of the gods implies it is some sort of big deal. We don't have a word for not believing in Santa. Not believing in a long list if man-made silly things. doesn't affect me in any way, other than enjoying arguments with stupid people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back