Astrophotography

I was thinking of heading over this Friday to camp up high but the weather looks wet and cloudy and so decided to try another time. Can't imagine the stars will be noticeably better with all that cloud around.

I’m in Scotland on Friday night to collect a canoe I’ve just bought. Weather is crap up there too as I hoped to get a camp in. Will probably just kip in the back of the car.

I have got a loan of a Seestar S50 at the moment. It would be nice to have some clear weather.

It feels like its cheating though, as you basically just level it and switch it on and tell the app what you want to take a picture of.

Its deep sky stuff, such as galaxies and nebulae, but it is fascinating watching the image emerge as the shots are stacked in real time.

I have got a loan of a Seestar S50 at the moment. It would be nice to have some clear weather.

It feels like its cheating though, as you basically just level it and switch it on and tell the app what you want to take a picture of.

Its deep sky stuff, such as galaxies and nebulae, but it is fascinating watching the image emerge as the shots are stacked in real time.

We have just bought one! Well, my son has been saving up and we have put in the difference.

He has managed to get a decent shot of Jupiter but you’re right the weather hasn’t been too kind.
Hoping to get up to the Dales soon when the clouds have buggered off.

We have just bought one! Well, my son has been saving up and we have put in the difference.

He has managed to get a decent shot of Jupiter but you’re right the weather hasn’t been too kind.
Hoping to get up to the Dales soon when the clouds have buggered off.
The weather has been frustrating. There is a comet going past the V of Taurus at the moment. Should show as a green fuzzy blob on a long exposure. Last night the cloud was thin enough that I could see the brightest stars but enough of a hazy layer to know there was no point in going out.

Just bought a Skywatcher Star Adventurer GTI goto mount. Looking to have another dabble in astrophotography using my DSLR but my back is knackered at the moment so it's just sat in the box.

Just bought a Skywatcher Star Adventurer GTI goto mount. Looking to have another dabble in astrophotography using my DSLR but my back is knackered at the moment so it's just sat in the box.
I hope your back improves enough so you can get set up to take some pics.

Be interested in your opinions on that - made in China not far from where I am so can be pretty cheap bought here (less than 300 quid) so was tempted but want to know a bit more before I take the plunge. Also @Kevj any opinions or thoughts much appreciated

Be interested in your opinions on that - made in China not far from where I am so can be pretty cheap bought here (less than 300 quid) so was tempted but want to know a bit more before I take the plunge. Also @Kevj any opinions or thoughts much appreciated

It is an excellent bit of kit. We haven’t really used it since it arrived due to cloud cover, but we did get a short break the other night.

Logon or register to see this image

Andromeda

It works by stacking a series of images and processing these into a single sharpe image, whilst tracking the object. It knows the locations of where things are so on setting it up, you need to establish a reference point then as long as there is a clear line of sight, point it at anything you want it to.

The telescope itself seems to be built to a good quality standard and the app is very user friendly.

What it is not is an optical telescope where you will see these objects with your own eyes, it’s only ever on your phone/ iPad/ laptop screen so if you’re okay with that then it is a worthwhile purchase.

Edit:

The moon image is a full post processing completed picture. Andromeda is ~33 minutes into a 40 minute exposure and that’s just a print screen of the live image, not the final article.

Last edited:
It is an excellent bit of kit. We haven’t really used it since it arrived due to cloud cover, but we did get a short break the other night.

Andromeda

It works by stacking a series of images and processing these into a single sharpe image, whilst tracking the object. It knows the locations of where things are so on setting it up, you need to establish a reference point then as long as there is a clear line of sight, point it at anything you want it to.

The telescope itself seems to be built to a good quality standard and the app is very user friendly.

What it is not is an optical telescope where you will see these objects with your own eyes, it’s only ever on your phone/ iPad/ laptop screen so if you’re okay with that then it is a worthwhile purchase.

Edit:

The moon image is a full post processing completed picture. Andromeda is ~33 minutes into a 40 minute exposure and that’s just a print screen of the live image, not the final article.

Those are pretty impressive for a smallish scope - the moon one is excellent and very detailed. Now I just need to explain to the wife why I need one in addition to the other stuff I already have.

Andromeda

Edit:

Nice, that is already picking up dust lanes and no star trailing. I'd be really interested to see the final processed image.

Would you be willing to share before you process? I'm trying to improve my tools and techniques and I'm interested to see what I could do with that.

For those interested: The Moon is passing Castor & Pollux this evening in relatively close proximity so there is a decent photo opportunity because the sky is clear.

Andromeda

Edit:

Excellent those, with a bit more processing you could probably pull some more detail out of the galaxy.
Did you have a DSLR camera attached or like you said direct to an ipad etc..

Excellent those, with a bit more processing you could probably pull some more detail out of the galaxy.

It was through one of these - i am very tempted to get one myself

Nice, that is already picking up dust lanes and no star trailing. I'd be really interested to see the final processed image.

Would you be willing to share before you process? I'm trying to improve my tools and techniques and I'm interested to see what I could do with that.

Hi @DaveH

My apologies, I’ve somehow missed this. I’ll reply again later with more images etc.

As @taipeisafc has said, it’s an all in all one unit but doesn’t have a traditional eyepiece so you don’t see the image with your naked eyes, it’s on screen on the phone/ pad/ PC.

Last edited:

These are straight out of the device jpgs with no processing (just cropped a little) - all 10 minute captures apart from our own star.

View media item 12327
View media item 12326
View media item 12325View media item 12324

Last edited:
My son has ‘the keys’ for ours and is experimenting with it. I hope to get a go once the novelty has worn off, but I’m encouraging him at this time.

Looks like you’re getting good to grips with yours.

It has been handed back now unfortunately, so we will get loads of clear skies.

I actually think they should be banned as they could easily start an addiction to a potentially very expensive hobby.

It has been handed back now unfortunately, so we will get loads of clear skies.

I actually think they should be banned as they could easily start an addiction to a potentially very expensive hobby.

You are dead right there i was looking at the seestar and immediately started pricing up an upgrade (from Zwo) for when i outgrew the thing i hadnt even bought yet (i was up to about 5 grands worth of kit)

The M51 and M81 photos are really good - very impressive for 10 minute exposures.

Last edited:

Back