Aspartame

• Thread starter Deleted member 26533
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 26533

Although I haven't actually been asked to talk about aspartame, I thought it would be a decent topic to discuss, considering the recent 'bad rep' it's recieved by a lot of people.

Incase people don't actually know what aspartame is used for, it's an ingredient that is used frequently in 'diet' beverages and sugar free products as a sweetner, in the absence of sugar. So if you look on the back of a can of diet coke for example, you will see aspartame listed in the ingredients.

Now, despite aspartame being very extensively studied, there is still a huge fear over the safety of aspartame and the main fear is that you will just get cancer and die if you drink a can of diet coke, which is ridiculous. This comes largely from research on rodents where they were fed aspartame and they started to devloped tumors, however the amounts were huge and just unrealistic.

However, some people have a condition called phenylketonuria, which essentially prevents the metabolism of phenylalanine, which is a problem because aspartame is a methyl ester of two amino acids, one of which being L-phenylalanine (& L-aspartic acid). This is where the consumption of aspartame would be a problem, as it can cause kidney problems.

If you do not have phenylketonuria, aspartame consumption is not something to be greatly concerned with. There is an upper limit for, but with realistic consumption of products containing aspartame, you are likely going to be fine.

Despite this thread, don't go and start consuming like 15litres of diet coke while you wash down some sugar-free jelly, because that will eventually be problematic.

Hope this is useful information.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12180494

"The safety testing of aspartame has gone well beyond that required to evaluate the safety of a food additive. When all the research on aspartame, including evaluations in both the premarketing and postmarketing periods, is examined as a whole, it is clear that aspartame is safe, and there are no unresolved questions regarding its safety under conditions of intended use."

"Thus, the weight of scientific evidence confirms that, even in amounts many times what people typically consume, aspartame is safe for its intended uses as a sweetener and flavor enhancer."

I'll still keep myself away from this. Found I drank more pop when it was diet cos wasn't worried about the unnecessary calories and sugar intake. How do you know if you have phenylketonuria?

i used to drink a load of diet coke (over 6 cans a day), felt a million times better when i knocked it on the head. Still have diet RedBull mind, but only one a day.

(could have been the reduction in caffeine as well mind..)

I've tried posting quite a few papers about this in threads before. People tend to ignore them because it says on Wikipedia that it might cause cancer.

I've tried posting quite a few papers about this in threads before. People tend to ignore them because it says on Wikipedia that it might cause cancer.

For the most part it's perfectly safe, but it's just one of the latest things for scaremongers to jump on. If people actually look at the method on which rodents are fed aspartame, it's absolutely ridiculous quantities.

For the most part it's perfectly safe, but it's just one of the latest things for scaremongers to jump on. If people actually look at the method on which rodents are fed aspartame, it's absolutely ridiculous quantities.

I found a paper one of the previous times this thread came up that went through the rat paper point by point saying why it was wrong. There are quite a few papers that conclude that aspartame causes cancer based solely on the fact that cancer rates have increased since aspartame was brought onto the market.

Just to add a bit to this aswell, if you drink a lot of diet coke and find it makes you hungry this is cos aspartame contains an amino acid called phenylalanine, this amino causes insulin to be released which in turn causes hunger.

Just to add a bit to this aswell, if you drink a lot of diet coke and find it makes you hungry this is cos aspartame contains an amino acid called phenylalanine, this amino causes insulin to be released which in turn causes hunger.

I'll post the relevant studies later but it's been found that aspartame has no measurable effect on insulin secretion. Although it's still 4kcal per gram, it's so sweet that only tiny quantities are required for diet beverages.

So consumed in large quantities Asparteme is potentially dangerous then? Hmmmm, I suspect my 15+ cans of diet coke a day may have to go then....The grand a year I spend on it hurts but not as much as being dead ;)

Or equivalent in 2litre bottles (cheaper)

Im afraid so, done it since I was a teenager (about 20 years) or so.

No physical side affects as such but suspect it is the cause of being a bad tempered sod (on couple of occasions I have had a break from it been so much more chilled)

I run Marathons and Ultra marathons so dont drink and dont smoke, this is my vice but have to say that having quit the booze 12 months ago this is an addiction that is 10x harder to kick:oops::cry:

No physical side affects as such but suspect it is the cause of being a bad tempered sod (on couple of occasions I have had a break from it been so much more chilled)

I run Marathons and Ultra marathons so dont drink and dont smoke, this is my vice but have to say that having quit the booze 12 months ago this is an addiction that is 10x harder to kick:oops::cry:
Do you not constantly have a bad head?

I was on around 6/7 cans a day for a long long time (plus redbull and tea). When I kicked the habit it was like waking up... stopping smoking is not quite as dramatic as getting off the Diet Coke, I should also add; it's not as hard either.

I was worried about strange head aches, chest pains, constant fatigue, digestion issues, and sleeping problems. I looked it up on the internet thinking i must have bad AIDS or summit and one of the first links was a blog post from a diet Pepsi addict who had quit months earlier. I quit and all my symptoms went within a month, I was shocked.

I was suffering from constant caffeinism, and i'm very lucky I quit when I did. I highly recommend you work hard to get off it.

Caffeine can be a hard thing to kick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back