Arsenal pen

Probably is a hand ball but I think this happens quite regularly where the keeper decides he isn't taking the kick and gives it to the centre back. Patterson seems to do it often

Probably is a hand ball but I think this happens quite regularly where the keeper decides he isn't taking the kick and gives it to the centre back. Patterson seems to do it often
This is the point. Players routinely move the ball to a colleague to take a goal kick, or a free kick, and sometimes also knock the ball off the corner quadrant to a colleague who is coming over to take the corner. It would be ludicrous refereeing in any of these cases to say the kick has at that point been taken even though you could technically argue it has, because the ball has been kicked and moved. Nor would you give a foul throw (or a handball) when a player who was correctly positioned to take the throw in instead underarmed it to a colleague to do so.

I don’t see that the principle is any different just because the player who was intended to take the kick stopped it with his hand before doing so. The point at which common sense is being applied is in relation to the question of whether the goal kick has been taken at all. Just as it is, routinelet, in the situation mentioned when Patto gives the ball to a defender to take using his foot from inside the 6 yard box. It’s a goal kick. He’s kicked the ball. It’s moved. Has he taken the goal kit? Don’t be daft.

This is the point. Players routinely move the ball to a colleague to take a goal kick, or a free kick, and sometimes also knock the ball off the corner quadrant to a colleague who is coming over to take the corner. It would be ludicrous refereeing in any of these cases to say the kick has at that point been taken even though you could technically argue it has, because the ball has been kicked and moved. Nor would you give a foul throw (or a handball) when a player who was correctly positioned to take the throw in instead underarmed it to a colleague to do so.

I don’t see that the principle is any different just because the player who was intended to take the kick stopped it with his hand before doing so. The point at which common sense is being applied is in relation to the question of whether the goal kick has been taken at all. Just as it is, routinelet, in the situation mentioned when Patto gives the ball to a defender to take using his foot from inside the 6 yard box. It’s a goal kick. He’s kicked the ball. It’s moved. Has he taken the goal kit? Don’t be daft.
Guess this will be acceptable only because it was that cock Charlie Adam.

In this instance, the keeper took his time got setup, ref blew his whistle keeper played it after and then the handball.

Then you've got this one, keeper tries to steal 10 yards on a free kick and gets called out for it.

Playing devils advocate, but here’s an example of a legit goal not being given because it wasn’t in the spirit of the game. If a Chelsea player ran over and kicked that ball away they would have been given a yellow card.

Ref blows his whistle, Raya plays the ball, the defender has a brain freeze but it's handball. It should have been a penalty.
It should, technically. But great to see the ref went with common sense instead for once and didn't potentially decide an important tie by being pendatic. Well done the ref.
Playing devils advocate, but here’s an example of a legit goal not being given because it wasn’t in the spirit of the game. If a Chelsea player ran over and kicked that ball away they would have been given a yellow card.

That should have been given as it was creative/inventive.

Disagree with this one, Kane knew exactly what he was doing there. Deliberate act.
Disagree. Yes he looks, to see where the player is, as any good striker should. I just don't think he throws a deliberate elbow to his neck. More just moves his arm out to shield and as he's on the up before the other player he strikes him higher up.

Last edited:
I think it's daft to give a penalty for that. Everyone knows why we have penalties in football. It's to compensate attacking teams who have been denied an advantage in the box illegally and to punish defending teams for attempting to deny an advantage illegally. This is neither and I'm glad to see the ref apply some common sense.

...'but those are the rules' is a really simplistic and childish way of looking at it.
Real question is why Bayern received a penalty & Arsenal did not at the end of the match. Your spot on that would have been called that would be undermining the game integrity of the game as far as I’m concerned it’s a non call and a disgrace that the Bayern manager is bringing this issue up. He is about to be sacked and only has a job because they are still in the Champions League.

Back