Arsenal pen

It's a penalty.

What's the argument the other way? They didn't hear the whistle? 😙

I think it's daft to give a penalty for that. Everyone knows why we have penalties in football. It's to compensate attacking teams who have been denied an advantage in the box illegally and to punish defending teams for attempting to deny an advantage illegally. This is neither and I'm glad to see the ref apply some common sense.

...'but those are the rules' is a really simplistic and childish way of looking at it.

Last edited:
It’s just ridiculous. Aye the bloke picked the ball up when he shouldn’t, but it’s had no impact on the game or Bayern whatsoever. It’s nice to see some common sense applied for once.
Interesting. Halfway through your original post about making a mockery of the game I expected you to say the opposite. That it makes a mockery to not give it.

Unsure how I feel about it I can see it both ways.

See it all the time with free kicks where someone stands over the ball and then kicks it back to another player/keeper and they stop it with their hands and it never gets given as hand ball.

Canny funny. Bizarre. A definite pen. And I think the referee has made the correct decision. Preserves the spirit of the game.

Would be a shite way to win/lose a football match.

Could be a new tactic. Take a free kick to move the defence out of position, pass it back, stop it with your hand and then pass it in another direction.

Tbh if I'd have gotten away with an 80+% giveable one right at the end there I would be shutting my mouth if I'm Tuchel, guess he has to be in the media for something other than the worst Bayern season in however many years

100% penalty. Brainfart that was lucky to go unpunished. Ref got the Saka one right though. Tried a Jamie Vardy special of leaving a leg in. They get given though - Elliot at the weekend against Man United.

Back