Aretha Franklin RIP

Read Barack and Michelle Obama’s touching tribute to Aretha Franklin

Barack Obama
6 hours ago
America has no royalty. But we do have a chance to earn something more enduring. Born in Memphis and raised in Detroit, Aretha Franklin grew up performing gospel songs in her father’s congregation. For more than six decades since, every time she sang, we were all graced with a glimpse of the divine. Through her compositions and unmatched musicianship, Aretha helped define the American experience. In her voice, we could feel our history, all of it and in every shade—our power and our pain, our darkness and our light, our quest for redemption and our hard-won respect. She helped us feel more connected to each other, more hopeful, more human. And sometimes she helped us just forget about everything else and dance.

Aretha may have passed on to a better place, but the gift of her music remains to inspire us all. May the Queen of Soul rest in eternal peace. Michelle and I send our prayers and warmest sympathies to her family and all those moved by her song.

Sad news that she has died. She was obviously loved by not just her friends and family but also millions of fans around the world. I couldn't see what the fuss was about with her voice but it's not my kind of music. I thought Annie Lennox is a better singer.

Life moves on and new generations will, in time find her music and grow to love it as much as those gone before.

That in fact is her legacy to us...
The footprint left in music and song for future generations to find, to listen and enjoy.

R. I. P. Never really gone while the memory lives on. Don't stop the Music.

Listening to some of her music this morning and it's nice to forget how incredible she was! That voice was amazing. You can hear her influence in so many artists through the decades.

Just surfing for random clips and saw this which I've not seen before and I genuinely teared up. Not in sadness but in response to the sheer deliriously cheerful power behind it. A woman at an age where most people are falling apart pretty much defining what it is to be defiantly, brilliantly alive.

I was thinking about what made her so special and I think it was just the f***ing indestructible joy of the Human spirit she channels in every note. She sang more effortlessly than people breathe.

Brilliant. Next door peeling onions at this time of the morning is not on.

Just surfing for random clips and saw this which I've not seen before and I genuinely teared up. Not in sadness but in response to the sheer deliriously cheerful power behind it. A woman at an age where most people are falling apart pretty much defining what it is to be defiantly, brilliantly alive.

I was thinking about what made her so special and I think it was just the f***ing indestructible joy of the Human spirit she channels in every note. She sang more effortlessly than people breathe.

I posted this the other day. Absolutely topper.

Sad news that she has died. She was obviously loved by not just her friends and family but also millions of fans around the world. I couldn't see what the fuss was about with her voice but it's not my kind of music. I thought Annie Lennox is a better singer.
Must be awful having nee lugs and absolutely nee idea.

Last edited:

Back