Aretha Franklin RIP

Things like this make me really irritated at how often people use words like "Awesone" and "it blew me away" because it cheapens their value for moments like this that are genuinely their definition. She just f***ing walks in and tears reality in two more or less with the most easy, effortless, thoughtless of actions. She just was Soul.

I hear what you're saying re Carole King but it's more the camera focussing on her than anything. If they'd had a camera on me when I saw BB King the year he died I would have looked f***ing mental.

Also why is George Lucas there

BB King was wonderful live. I was lucky enough to see him a few times. I`d also add Solomon Burke too for one of those concerts that really stood out as something so utterly special.

BB King was wonderful live. I was lucky enough to see him a few times. I`d also add Solomon Burke too for one of those concerts that really stood out as something so utterly special.
His voice man. Obviously his guitar playing is what he's known for but he opened his mouth as an 86 year old and it was the most incredible noise I've ever heard in person. Likewise with Aretha just effortless, supernatural talent.

The kids of today have to put up, with the shite factor and Britain's has fuckall talent, we had great music in the 60s/70s, RIP Aretha

You may or may not know that Heeed is my older brother by 7 years and its his influence that as led me to Soul music .I was born in 1961 in the very late 60s/early 70s we shared a bedroom in a council house in Peterlee and he would bring in various single/albums , mostly Stax and Atlantic . Aretha . Otis , Bob and Earl , Sam and Dave, Solomen , James Brown ... the rest as they say , is history . Eeven though Aretha was Detroit born and raised , the motown sound wasnt for her ... Atlantic / Muscle Shoals was !!!

Not music I listen to personally, but deary me she was the best of her genre!
Incredible woman. Did anyone see the video of her stepping in for Pavarotti to sing ‘Nessun Dorma’? Absolutely sensational. Very brave to take on a piece well out of her usual style, and she nailed it.

She’ll be very sadly missed, people like her don’t come along every millennium.

I love Scritti! Cupid & Psyche is one of my favourite albums, the synth arrangements are tremendous.

Anyone who types Rip instead of the correct R.I.P. is showing little R.E.S.P.E.C.T.

R.I.P. Aretha.

It’s a catholic/religious thing anyway, I never understood why everyone on here seems to use it.

Last edited:
I'm sorry she's gone and that - as it seems - life hasn't been good for her recently...but for me the legend outweighs the reality.

Five or six cracking 45s and a lot of filler, in the cold light of day. The CBS and Arista material is largely forgettable, at least to my ears.

I'll blaspheme and say that Erma was the more original talent - Aretha would never have worked with Electric Flag, and for me "Super Soul Sister" is a very good album.

Back