Apparently we can leave players out of the squad and they won't count towards the salary cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would we do that though when we can count them as being on the average salary? Wasn’t that the reason for rushing through the Wright deal?

As an aside though; being allowed to have an expensive player sit there and take his wages but not but not play for you, surely is the pinnacle of hypocrisy if this rule was brought in to promote “sustainability”
Because if we've no interest in playing him then it frees up a squad place (can have a maximum of 22) and it gives us another £2k per week to play with.

According to this article:

Players we don't want (like McGeady) can be left out of the 22 man squad and so won't count towards the salary cap. As an aside I think we tried to sign that Naismith but he went to Peterborough instead.
If he's still here I feel he'll have to be in the squad as we won't have the cash to pay wages for his replacement.

The best thing for the club and the player is to come to some sort of agreement and part company..

Wrong. The best thing is for Parkinson to do one, get on his knees and kiss McGeadys arse and get him back in our team. Best player in league one by a mile still, get him and maguire, who seems to have remembered how to play football since the new year, into the team either side of someone less shit than Wyke and we should piss the league

According to this article:

Players we don't want (like McGeady) can be left out of the 22 man squad and so won't count towards the salary cap. As an aside I think we tried to sign that Naismith but he went to Peterborough instead.
It wont make any difference this team wont even get in the top six no pace a midfield short of someone to open the game and no striker who will get at least 20 goals per season and two poor goalkeepers

Don't really think it would be worthwhile for McGeady, but in theory, could he still be played in Cup games without being in the salary cap squad?

I don't want Mcgeady anywhere near the squad. Lets face it, hes beyond last it and the few stories I've heard from close sources is that he's a complete and utter ****.

Not the type we need, no matter how potentially capable.
PP knows what he's doing. Far better having the likes of dobbo dobson and big Charlie Wyke in the side than bad apples like mcgeady. Graft and mediocrity over quality any day!

When was McGeady last "quality"??
Wrong. The best thing is for Parkinson to do one, get on his knees and kiss McGeadys arse and get him back in our team. Best player in league one by a mile still, get him and maguire, who seems to have remembered how to play football since the new year, into the team either side of someone less shit than Wyke and we should piss the league

If you're living in 2017 aye, but not now, he's shite, past it, and a bit of a dick to be honest.

Last edited:
Do we have 22 players? Will we not need his wages to pay others to fill the squad?
We have Burge, Matthews, O’Nien, McClaughlin, Wright, Flanagan, Willis, Hume, power, Scowen, Leadbitter, Dobson, Gooch, McGeady, Maguire, O’Brien, Wyke and Grigg all over 21. Patterson, Diamond, Neil, Feeney, Taylor, Embleton all under 21.
I make that 24, some won’t make the squad if we’re signing anyone else.

I don't want Mcgeady anywhere near the squad. Lets face it, hes beyond last it and the few stories I've heard from close sources is that he's a complete and utter ****.

Not the type we need, no matter how potentially capable.

When was McGeady last "quality"??

If you're living in 2017 aye, but not now, he's shite, past it, and a bit of a dick to be honest.

The lad was the best player under Ross. Just because Parkinson has no idea what to do with him, doesn’t make him a bad player. And filling the squad with nice guys like onien has really worked well for us.
We have Burge, Matthews, O’Nien, McClaughlin, Wright, Flanagan, Willis, Hume, power, Scowen, Leadbitter, Dobson, Gooch, McGeady, Maguire, O’Brien, Wyke and Grigg all over 21. Patterson, Diamond, Neil, Feeney, Taylor, Embleton all under 21.

Under 21s don’t count in the squad. So that’s 18.

I thought u21s didn't count.

McGeady isn't even the best player in our squad. He was a million miles off being the best player in League One last season.

And Maguire 'remembering how to play football since the New Year' seemed to 'coincide' with his big mate McGeady being bombed out.

The lad was the best player under Ross. Just because Parkinson has no idea what to do with him, doesn’t make him a bad player. And filling the squad with nice guys like onien has really worked well for us.

Under 21s don’t count in the squad. So that’s 18.
Don’t count towards the cap but wasn’t sure about squad, Peterborough have named 12 in their squad.

Too many people say McGeady is a bad egg for it not to be true.
There's plenty of bad eggs in football and in life. But its PPs job to manage him. We're in the third division with a very gifted footballer who has a bit of an attitude..... we're hardy in a position to be fussy.

Cantona was a bad egg but fergie worked around it. Gazza must have been a nightmare, but managers worked with him etc.

To use a more current example of a team that is out performing us at this pathetically low level of football: Fleetwood. They are managed by a bad egg, and have a collection of bad eggs including Evans, who no other club in the league would sign... but come 3pm on Saturday they perform.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back