Anyone own an electric car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
None of which would be checked internally on a service. A service time would be similar regardless.
Spark plugs, engine oil, engine oil filter, air filter, fuel filter, none of which need to be done on an EV, so where's the price comparison?

Charging and Power requirements?
Just an aside BUT just imagine, if/when internal combustion engines are banned and everyone who has a motor car/van/motor cycle etc will be driving electrically powered motors (assuming no alternative clean non greenhouse gas power sources are discovered) and all homes are required to have e-charging points, exactly when and how is the country going to;
a) Generate the additional electrical power requirements?
b) Upgrade the existing Grid to ensure every house, in every street, in every village, town or city gets the power to the e-charging point?
c) Ensure that "community" car parks associated with tower blocks, pedestrianised residential areas have sufficient e-charging points for all cars etc.
d) as c) above for municipal/commercial/recreational area car parks

Just wondered if such trivialities had been considered at this stage?
Of course not. There's diesels being made now that will easily do 100,000 miles that they'll probably force to be obsolete.

I think toyota have one... 62 grand
Aye, they are far to expensive. Most manufacturers have been developing them for years now.

The emissions thing is a tricky one with hydrogen and pure electric really and which one is cleaner.

Again it’ll come down to cost over anything else. The size of the tank is what is currently the most prohibitive thing.

Imagine if everyone had an electric car and plugged it in every night at 6pm.

It's not just the cars that need improving it's the infrastructure. The grid is nowhere near being able to cope with demand as it stands. Needs a lot of beefing up.

That being said, I would think not many would charge at home. I mean currently how many people have an oil refinary in their back garden
Solar panels?

You'd think electric cars would be cheaper.. In fact they're a fair few grand cheaper abroad, but we get ripped off to fuck.
Norway heavily tax ICE cars so that they can subsidise electric ones. Now that they’re 50% of the new car sales in the country they can start to get economies of scale, probably.

Listen to the Reasons To Be Cheerful podcast on this; there's lots of ways how we could help with this. In Norway, they don't pay tax on EVs so the buying price is very similar to that of ICE vehicles, which are taxed at around 125% of actual vehicle price.
Should read ahead on thread, doh!

Last edited:
Aye, they are far to expensive. Most manufacturers have been developing them for years now.

The emissions thing is a tricky one with hydrogen and pure electric really and which one is cleaner.

Again it’ll come down to cost over anything else. The size of the tank is what is currently the most prohibitive thing.
And the fact that there is no hydrogen network, and you still need electricity for the process.

Imagine if everyone had an electric car and plugged it in every night at 6pm.

It's not just the cars that need improving it's the infrastructure. The grid is nowhere near being able to cope with demand as it stands. Needs a lot of beefing up.

That being said, I would think not many would charge at home. I mean currently how many people have an oil refinary in their back garden

If that were true, the lights would be going out every night. The infrastructure is being upgraded constantly, there has been massive changes to infrastructure in the last 5 years.

Last edited:
And the fact that there is no hydrogen network, and you still need electricity for the process.

If that were true, the lights would be going out every night. The infrastructure is being upgraded constantly, there has been massive changes to infrastructure in the last 5 years.

It is true. As it stands the grid couldn't cope with if all had electric cars and plugged them all in after work on an evening

We will all end up paying just as much for our EVs as we do for petrol/diesel imho - supply and demand only means higher prices

Well aye, but if there's none of these to change then there's less labour time
Yeah but where there was a set of plugs or an air filter to change there are additional battery / sensor / programming checks to do.

Less parts but the same labour.

I see what you’re saying but a dealer / manufacturer isn’t going to compromise the money the make from routine servicing so will find new ways of justifying the cost.

Next car might be one, doing less driving these day, just around town now we retired and if I can travel about 300 miles give or take on a long distance before needing a refill I'd be fine with that. Now that I've moved from a NY it makes a bit more sense too. Though I do think for big cities they should be all the age, however (if you've been to NY) you would see that the infrastructure needed will never materialise.

FOr those wanting an insight in to running one (A Tesla). How Miserable Is A Tesla Road Trip? He's has just done a 2000 mile trip in the US and has gone into all the figures.

Having said that, another YouTuber bought a new Tesla, had a small accident and is going through a bit of a mare getting it repaired, which I think lots of people overlook.

Next car might be one, doing less driving these day, just around town now we retired and if I can travel about 300 miles give or take on a long distance before needing a refill I'd be fine with that. Now that I've moved from a NY it makes a bit more sense too. Though I do think for big cities they should be all the age, however (if you've been to NY) you would see that the infrastructure needed will never materialise.

FOr those wanting an insight in to running one (A Tesla). How Miserable Is A Tesla Road Trip? He's has just done a 2000 mile trip in the US and has gone into all the figures.

Having said that, another YouTuber bought a new Tesla, had a small accident and is going through a bit of a mare getting it repaired, which I think lots of people overlook.
Tesla seem a nightmare based on watching a lot of rich rebuilds on the YouTube

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back