Anyone own an electric car?

What’s your furthest journey and how do you do it?
Range is approx 120 miles but I do have the Rex version which is a small engine that holds the state of charge for the battery but only used it a handful of times, biggest trip I have done is 300 miles which meant stopping to charge twice, on rapid chargers it takes approx 40 mins to charge, by the time you go for a pee grab a coffee etc it’s just about done

Range is approx 120 miles but I do have the Rex version which is a small engine that holds the state of charge for the battery but only used it a handful of times, biggest trip I have done is 300 miles which meant stopping to charge twice, on rapid chargers it takes approx 40 mins to charge, by the time you go for a pee grab a coffee etc it’s just about done
That’s what I mean, I only do a long journey to Swindon and back once a month or so, they have the 50kw chargers in the motorway stops where we normally stop anyway. Piss and a coffee and you’re nearly charged. As you say, just a bit more planning. With 310 range for the Tesla, this would likely translate to about 250 miles in real world, hopefully a bit more, that would do me. On a normal week my mileage is 200-250 a week, one charge a week would do.

That’s what I mean, I only do a long journey to Swindon and back once a month or so, they have the 50kw chargers in the motorway stops where we normally stop anyway. Piss and a coffee and you’re nearly charged. As you say, just a bit more planning. With 310 range for the Tesla, this would likely translate to about 250 miles in real world, hopefully a bit more, that would do me. On a normal week my mileage is 200-250 a week, one charge a week would do.
I only charge once twice a week, usually try and wait to get the free electric ones as well, just makes it a lot sweeter not paying although it only costs about £3/4 to fully charge at home

I only charge once twice a week, usually try and wait to get the free electric ones as well, just makes it a lot sweeter not paying although it only costs about £3/4 to fully charge at home
Costs even less with Octopus Go EV tariff - costs the Mrs £1.50 to fully charge her Leaf overnight

Hmmm. Still not quite there for me sadly. It’s the finding somewhere to charge it with fast chargers that I worry about. Also, I’d need a massive one, and all the ones I’ve seen so far are smaller cars. Even the Kia is too small.

I’m hoping for one the car after next.

Just changing car now. I was going to stick with diesel/petrol now and see where we are in 2 years.

But a plug in hybrid with 200+ horses is a wildcard option as I only go 15 miles a day Monday to Friday and 200 miles round trip for the match. I'd be full electric through the week which sounds great.

Question. My current electric meter is just some ancient thing from the 70's, it doesn't record cheaper rates through the night as far as I know. I think I just get charged one rate of electricity.

If I went plug in hybrid with a 3 pin plug charge time of 3 hours should I / can I change to economy 7 type meters?

Looking at Merc 350e or BMW 330e

Just changing car now. I was going to stick with diesel/petrol now and see where we are in 2 years.

But a plug in hybrid with 200+ horses is a wildcard option as I only go 15 miles a day Monday to Friday and 200 miles round trip for the match. I'd be full electric through the week which sounds great.

Question. My current electric meter is just some ancient thing from the 70's, it doesn't record cheaper rates through the night as far as I know. I think I just get charged one rate of electricity.

If I went plug in hybrid with a 3 pin plug charge time of 3 hours should I / can I change to economy 7 type meters?

If we weren’t selling our house we’d probably get a plug in hybrid. I didn’t realise just how much more environmentally friendly they are than the self charging hybrids until we started looking at it.

If we weren’t selling our house we’d probably get a plug in hybrid. I didn’t realise just how much more environmentally friendly they are than the self charging hybrids until we started looking at it.

How much does it cost to charge a hybrid with a 30 miles electric only range?

You can if your energy company offers economy 7, but it would depend on your usage profile as it can work out more expensive. Your day time rate will be higher, and your standing charge higher too normally.

Hmmm. Still not quite there for me sadly. It’s the finding somewhere to charge it with fast chargers that I worry about. Also, I’d need a massive one, and all the ones I’ve seen so far are smaller cars. Even the Kia is too small.

I’m hoping for one the car after next.
Why would you need s massive one? This e-Niro is too small? There’s the jaguar IPSec if you’re minted.

The Tesla model 3 has two boots, plenty of storage.

Last edited:
You can if your energy company offers economy 7, but it would depend on your usage profile as it can work out more expensive. Your day time rate will be higher, and your standing charge higher too normally.

Why would you need s massive one? This e-Niro is too small? There’s the jaguar IPSec if you’re minted.

The Tesla model 3 has two boots, plenty of storage.
Because I have two toddlers. They come with a lot of shit.

The e-Niro only has a 450litre boot I think? I need 500+ at the min.

How much does it cost and how much of the environment does it obliterate being made?
It won’t be costed yet, it’s a cutting edge scientific breakthrough.

Less than to current batteries as it has increased effiency, and massively less than the internal combustion engine.

Back