Anyone know the England Squad for the Australia odis and T20s

Personally when everyone fit and available, I would play Banton ahead of Root, just my personal hunch, as think he will be a future star in that format

I would go top 3 of Roy,Banton,Bairstow, and tell all 3 to play their natural game and blast it

With 4,5,6 Morgan, Stokes, Buttler, all of them 3 are capabale of adapting their game to suit any situation, if them top 3 don't come off, they experienced enough to adapt their game accordingly and if them top 3 do come off, all of them 3 can just continue to blast it as brilliant at that as well, think that top 6 would be really exciting myself.

Root although of course brilliant player, does not now have the destructive capablity of them other 6 imo, and although tough, its nice to be able to leave someone one of his obvious quality out of the side, shows how strong our batting now is in that format.

Fair does, I dont think in India that is correct, personally like, think you need a quality all round batsman, some of the pitches will be very slow, and you need more than just 6 hitters

Root gets in my XI every time, he also bowls well, and took Gayle in the final last time

He scores at a rapid pace too like, I think Morgan is bit out of order here personally, makes you wonder if something has gone on
Willey must be wondering what he’s done wrong to have now fallen behind Sam Curran. I feel for the lad, he deserves better.

Think they’ve made at least 3 big errors in the selection of this squad.

Tom Curran in the XI is mental like IMO, all about who he plays for and who he knows there like.

Willey is a better one day player than Curran, and its not about planning the future, the next 2 world cups are in the next 2 years

I think his face just not fit

Also maybe as curran has central contraxt and willey doesnt

Last edited:

Fair does, I dont think in India that is correct, personally like, think you need a quality all round batsman, some of the pitches will be very slow, and you need more than just 6 hitters

Root gets in my XI every time, he also bowls well, and took Gayle in the final last time

He scores at a rapid pace too like, I think Morgan is bit out of order here personally, makes you wonder if something has gone on

Tom Curran in the XI is mental like IMO, all about who he plays for and who he knows there like.

Willey is a better one day player than Curran, and its not about planning the future, the next 2 world cups are in the next 2 years

I think his face just not fit

Which Curran is in the squad? When I was watching the Durham game earlier Sky had Sam in the squad?

Either way, neither are better than Willey, I don’t really rate Tom Curran at all tbh.

Root should be in for Denly and I’d pick my cat over Ali at the moment.

Which Curran is in the squad? When I was watching the Durham game earlier Sky had Sam in the squad?

Either way, neither are better than Willey, I don’t really rate Tom Curran at all tbh.

Root should be in for Denly and I’d pick my cat over Ali at the moment.

Both mate

Curran is cracking cricketer, but Willey is just a better bowler in this format, simple

Tom Curran. answers on a post card, good attitude and his batting has come on, but he is just one of the bowlers who bowls a different variation every ball and goes for runs

Yeah Denly and Billings over Root, thats insane, lets hope its just to get Root games for yorkshire

Both mate

Curran is cracking cricketer, but Willey is just a better bowler in this format, simple

Tom Curran. answers on a post card, good attitude and his batting has come on, but he is just one of the bowlers who bowls a different variation every ball and goes for runs

Yeah Denly and Billings over Root, thats insane, lets hope its just to get Root games for yorkshire

I can understand Billings in the squad after a decent series against Ireland, but not at the expense of Root.

Tom Curran, Gregory and Mahmood getting picked over Willey is really strange IMO, the first two will never be international class. Sam Curran will be cannon fodder in white ball cricket too as the ball doesn’t swing enough.

How the hell is Willey not making either of them squads that is ridiculous he must have done something to someone and is anyone seriously telling me that Joe Denley is a better option than Root with the bat and ball, Id even have Root ahead of Ali right now with the ball. Mark wood is another one who is lucky to be in the T20 squad has never fired at the top level in this format.

Last edited:
just find it really strange more than anything

makes me think there is more to it

Root doesnt play like Trott, hes rapid

Yep, agree. Mentioned to another poster but his innings against South Africa last world cup probably best t20 innings I've seen from an England player. He'd have been man of the match in the final and a contender for player of the tournament if Stokes managed to bowl a better final over. He also happens to be our best player of spin which will be pretty handy in India.

I can understand Billings in the squad after a decent series against Ireland, but not at the expense of Root.

Tom Curran, Gregory and Mahmood getting picked over Willey is really strange IMO, the first two will never be international class. Sam Curran will be cannon fodder in white ball cricket too as the ball doesn’t swing enough.
So is Willey when it isn't swinging

Yep, agree. Mentioned to another poster but his innings against South Africa last world cup probably best t20 innings I've seen from an England player. He'd have been man of the match in the final and a contender for player of the tournament if Stokes managed to bowl a better final over. He also happens to be our best player of spin which will be pretty handy in India.

Spot on, totally agree about that innings, was unbelievable, one of our best ever short form innings

journos keep trying to say that T20 has moved on since that innings, it hasn't like

Knockout game in a world cup, on a spinning Indian track, full house, and chasing, you need Root in at 3, no brainer

At least nobody can be fuming when Jos inevitably nicks off for 7 ;)
Willey must be wondering what he’s done wrong to have now fallen behind Sam Curran. I feel for the lad, he deserves better.

Think they’ve made at least 3 big errors in the selection of this squad.
I absolutely love Sammy, but I'd have Willey over him in the white ball stuff every game of the week.

TC is excellent at the death mind, and can give it a whack down the order. Think that's what England like, we don't really have a proper death bowler apart from him

Last edited:

I absolutely love Sammy, but I'd have Willey over him in the white ball stuff every game of the week.

TC is excellent at the death mind, and can give it a whack down the order. Think that's what England like, we don't really have a proper death bowler apart from him
Not for England

Reminds me too much of Dernbach. Fundamentals are just not there and any amount of variation won't paper over the cracks. Surrey are a trash T20 side so easy to look good in that setting and you get the usual "ECB favourite county" bonus on top. Someone like Pat Brown at least has some success behind him.

In T20 Jordan is a better death bowler. You'll also have Archer, who is far better in both ODIs and T20. TC is a solid death option but pretty much a liability elsewhere. Has done well with the bat but when you have Wood, Archer, Jordan (T20) around, some injury prone players like Stone and Topley then I don't see the point of TC. In ODis he's just too weak away from the death, in T20s you lose most of the value in his batting.

Going back to the other day, the last 11 balls went for 11 runs only, which in t20 terms was gold dust

iirc that was Curran and Jordan

You're always going to be volatile at the death - one day it's 6 an over, another it will be 16 an over, the good thing about Archer is he rarely gives up those big overs. The trouble with people who rely so much on variations like TC is eventually with all the footage going around they'll get worked out. So you've either got to make the variations impossible to pick, or keep developing new ones, or have so many that it's still unpredictable. A batsman can always guess too. It looks good when it works, and awful when that slower ball goes 100m.

Archer & Jordan can bowl 90mph+ yorkers. Not much you can do about those however much footage you watch. Archer is one of the best in the world and I honestly don't think there'd be any way you 'd keep those two out of the T20 death overs if they're fit. I think those are the first two bowlers you pick.

Bullshit. What about Chris Jordan. He’s a better death bowler than Tom Curran

Dont mind Tom Curran, decent bowler in white ball cricket

not on what we have seen so far

He seems to get a lot of praise for doing very little

I am usually totally against the conspiracy stuff, but there is absoltuely zero chance he would get picked for England if he played for Derby or Leicester

He has heart, bottle, and can bat, but he is a lucky lad

I mean Willey was one of our main bowlers for 4 years yet didnt get in the world cup squad and this lad did

Willey's face clearly doesnt fit

Back