Anyone climbed the Cheviot?

I’ve been up a couple of times. The last time was with my two boys and so got a lovely photo of them sitting proudly on the trig point.

Ad others have said, it’s not the place you want to be in bad weather or if it is wet. The top can be a boggy mess. Decent views out to Holy Island if clear. Hedgehope is a nicer hill. We’re doing that one when we’re up in August. We’ve had our Easter holiday week cancelled two years running so I can’t wait to get up there. Never looked forward more to a holiday.

I’ve been up a couple of times. The last time was with my two boys and so got a lovely photo of them sitting proudly on the trig point.

Ad others have said, it’s not the place you want to be in bad weather or if it is wet. The top can be a boggy mess. Decent views out to Holy Island if clear. Hedgehope is a nicer hill. We’re doing that one when we’re up in August. We’ve had our Easter holiday week cancelled two years running so I can’t wait to get up there. Never looked forward more to a holiday.
It’s class weather today though and has been all week.

Aye. Midweek after work in the Autumn, raining the whole time and misty. The best bit was the brief moment that the view opened up to almost 30 foot.
Went back a few weeks later to do Hedgehope Hill opposite. The weather was worse but I saw a cloudberry which I was buzzing about until we got lost on the top. We managed to find the stream to follow back down just as it was getting dark. The next bit was the clear highlight for me, we were walking in pitch darkness using our headtorches when the ground to the left fell away down to the stream, my mate behind me said 'watch ya dinnit fall in the drink' by the time I turned round there was no one there. I shouted 'where are you?' The reply... 'in the f***ing drink, like a daft ****'. It still took nearly 2 hours to reach the car. We got to Bellingham in time for 1 pint before the pub shut.

TLDR: Aye, the view's shite, it's f***ing miles away, the middle of neewhere is a bustling metropolis compared to it and maps are a waste of time when the nearest topographic features are fences placed 3 miles apart and you can't f***ing see anyway.
Loved it. 🤣

You'd have a discount card if there was a popular gents toilet at the top.

Early November to late October? The old saying is 'avoid if there's a day in the month'.

It's quiet alright, once it got dark and the only other living soul we encountered in 5 hours had fucked off it was completely silent. 🤣

I wouldn't even bother, the weather is going to be nice. You're basically cheating.
Daft going over there in the dark like 😂

Fancied a mooch out this weekend and was looking at this. Has mixed reviews as in if it’s a boring walk etc but looks pretty decent to me. Anyone done it can give advice as to if it’s worth the bother? If so can anyone recommend the best walk up?
No, attempted it with a university " mountaineering club" 50 years ago . The leader got us lost in the fog . We were soon deciding who to eat first .
Can recommend Cross Fell for your next one. Stomped up and down it one day in the 2002-3 season as the only way to get the previous day’s dreadful match out my head
My favorite walk, I often do it . It's near where I live . Bollix, not paying attention as usual . High cup nick is really my favourite walk .

Last edited:
No, attempted it with a university " mountaineering club" 50 years ago . The leader got us lost in the fog . We were soon deciding who to eat first .

My favorite walk, I often do it . It's near where I live . Bollix, not paying attention as usual . High cup nick is really my favourite walk .
awesome place for photos is high cup nick...but it can be a slog, especially coming from cow green..and again it can be a boggy nightmare in places, but it would be good at the moment

one of my favourites as well...I love being around the ranges up there as well as theres always something to find
Aye I came back with a bandolier of blank rounds around me neck the last time we were up there, also walked through an Army patrol & asked the officer if he needed a hand with his map😂

Aye I came back with a bandolier of blank rounds around me neck the last time we were up there, also walked through an Army patrol & asked the officer if he needed a hand with his map😂
good place to see adders this time of year as well..plenty of birds of prey up there to spot. and just the general armed forces infrastructure, theres bunkhouses dotted around, cool bridges and like you say its interesting find where they have had practice firefights an left all the brass! squaddies must lose tons of stuff up there as well

Last edited:
awesome place for photos is high cup nick...but it can be a slog, especially coming from cow green..and again it can be a boggy nightmare in places, but it would be good at the moment
I gave up on my first 2 attempts because of fog . People have actually died up there . I did it with my daughter from Cow Green to Dufton on the most beautiful of days . (2 cars)

Last edited:
Tried to plan a long run up there, factoring in places to stop for water so I could top up. It's so bloody remote I ended up not risking it.

I gave up on my first 2 attempts because of fog . People have actually died up there . I did it with my daughter from Cow Green to Dufton on the most beautiful of days . (2 cars)
we have wild camped at maize beck to to make it a more leisurely walk..theres a good spot upstream from the the new pennine way crossing they put in, its not legal..but its far enough away from anywhere for people to get their knickers in a twist about

just means you can take your time, walk around the the actual valley when you get there and set up some decent shots, would be an intersting place to take a drone if I had one! camp up then have a walk back without having to bust a gut

Last edited:

Back