Anyone climbed the Cheviot?

OOOSH YEAH

Striker
Fancied a mooch out this weekend and was looking at this. Has mixed reviews as in if it’s a boring walk etc but looks pretty decent to me. Anyone done it can give advice as to if it’s worth the bother? If so can anyone recommend the best walk up?

Here's my route the last time I did it. Not the most interesting but views can be great on a good day and the route up Harthope Burn / valley is OK. Path can be a bit indistinct in places but all you do is follow the burn until you get to a fence - turn right, it gets steeper, and a bit later you get to the summit. A real alternative to a Lakes day - during the week even in summer you're not likely to see many folk.

It's not the most scenic climb of it's sort, but it is nice. Nothing to be gained in climbing it in poor weather or visibility, it's not particularly challenging (in relative terms) or interesting when you don't have the views.

Compared to some of the places in the Lake District as an example, I found it to be very, very quiet. I was in complete silence and isolation, which I enjoyed. The last time I went was October last year, and it was very muddy...feet soaked through.

Stayed in a cottage in college valley a couple of years back and set out to do it one day but got turned round by a bloody blizzard. As others have said now is a good time as it’s been dry for a bit and that whole area is pretty boggy.

I like it up there and unlike the Lakes, I don't think you get many people up that way.

I was fancying doing that when I next get to visit the north east. Can do it as a day trip out from my mams. I've not done any decent walking in over a year, and Kent doesn't have big open hills like that.

Fancied a mooch out this weekend and was looking at this. Has mixed reviews as in if it’s a boring walk etc but looks pretty decent to me. Anyone done it can give advice as to if it’s worth the bother? If so can anyone recommend the best walk up?
Aye. Midweek after work in the Autumn, raining the whole time and misty. The best bit was the brief moment that the view opened up to almost 30 foot.
Went back a few weeks later to do Hedgehope Hill opposite. The weather was worse but I saw a cloudberry which I was buzzing about until we got lost on the top. We managed to find the stream to follow back down just as it was getting dark. The next bit was the clear highlight for me, we were walking in pitch darkness using our headtorches when the ground to the left fell away down to the stream, my mate behind me said 'watch ya dinnit fall in the drink' by the time I turned round there was no one there. I shouted 'where are you?' The reply... 'in the f***ing drink, like a daft ****'. It still took nearly 2 hours to reach the car. We got to Bellingham in time for 1 pint before the pub shut.

TLDR: Aye, the view's shite, it's f***ing miles away, the middle of neewhere is a bustling metropolis compared to it and maps are a waste of time when the nearest topographic features are fences placed 3 miles apart and you can't f***ing see anyway.
Loved it. 🤣
Ooooosh nor
You'd have a discount card if there was a popular gents toilet at the top.
Yep worth doing now as it's fairly dry.. It can be a boggy mess at certain times of the year
Early November to late October? The old saying is 'avoid if there's a day in the month'.
It's not the most scenic climb of it's sort, but it is nice. Nothing to be gained in climbing it in poor weather or visibility, it's not particularly challenging (in relative terms) or interesting when you don't have the views.

Compared to some of the places in the Lake District as an example, I found it to be very, very quiet. I was in complete silence and isolation, which I enjoyed. The last time I went was October last year, and it was very muddy...feet soaked through.
It's quiet alright, once it got dark and the only other living soul we encountered in 5 hours had fucked off it was completely silent. 🤣
Well I’ve done everything within an hour that is so as long as it’s pretty decent that will do me.
I wouldn't even bother, the weather is going to be nice. You're basically cheating.

Last edited:

Back