Any Other School Staff Going On Strike?

Emma Chisset

Full Back
My partner is a school cleaner and of course a union member too.

The UNISON union has advised not to return to work in the school because of the virus. He has sent an email to them to say he will not go. It is a model letter that the union has sent to us.

As black people we are at bigger risk of the virus anyway (the government has even said this) and they have taken no notice when they make their plans!

Is there other people here who work in the schools and will not go to work tomorrow?

Bowburn school is staying closed other than for for vulnerable children and children of critical workers apparently.
My issues with that is defining critical workers? For example if a kid had a single parent and they work in say a chemical plant, that wouldn’t be regarded as ‘critical workers’ would it? But still hard for someone in that position to get time off. Feel for all the parents out there. This situation is crazy.

Schools will still be open to vulnerable children and children of key workers anyway so I assume your partner would still have to go to work regardless of whether they close.

There are no strikes, however individuals can invoke section 44 of the Health and Safety at Work Act and refuse to go into a work environment which is in their opinion unsafe.

Hence unions are advising members to consider their safety at work and to be available for work in a safe space.

My issues with that is defining critical workers? For example if a kid had a single parent and they work in say a chemical plant, that wouldn’t be regarded as ‘critical workers’ would it? But still hard for someone in that position to get time off. Feel for all the parents out there. This situation is crazy.
The same as it was for the first lockdown. It isn’t difficult to find.

It’s a tough call and I understand both sides but surely Common sense should prevail.
Me sister wants to send her kids to school but also want them to go to my parents (bubble/childcare) my dad doesn’t want the kids to go to school or come to babysat which is now causing angst.
Just close the schools for a few weeks

My other half is an Ed Psych so she is in contact with a lot of schools and a lot of different teachers. There are messages going around today from the unions encouraging the teachers to reserve their right not to go in if they feel unsafe (I.e. not a strike). This week is going to be shambolic and will result in the schools switching over to online teaching for the majority but with the government saying “wasn’t us mate, blame the teachers” which was presumably what they had planned all along.

Again though it’s this government playing god and deciding what’s essential and what’s isn’t. They show an utter disdain for so many people, demonstrated by the appalling adverts mocking dancers. Looking at the list it should indeed cover most essential jobs but I bet there’s a few ‘stuck in no man’s land’ if you like.
Schools taking it upon themselves isn’t a great look, despite the fact it makes the government look daft, which always amuses me. Lots of people won’t know whether they are coming or going, once again this notion of a North-South divide has reared its head again ‘Boris thinks northern kids can be put in danger but not kids in London’ an example of a stereotypical comment I’m seeing on Facebook. Another Eton mess. Literally.

What has changed in schools to make them less safe now.
They were always unsafe. SAGE last year said more harm would be done keeping them shut so said for the balance of risk it’s best to keep them open. They now think dangers of transmission outweigh harm of kids missing out on school, an interesting conclusion after it emerged many children are suffering from eating disorders as a consequence of the schools being shut.

A few on Facebook not even sending the kids back anyway.

I think if mine were still of school age it would be a tricky decision. There again I cant work from home and I am a key worker , so he would have a space.
I think it boils down to the fact you can trust that you kept things safe over Christmas, but you cant be sure other parents did.
If people got infected at Christmas, when would be the date it would show by ?
That should probably be the day the kids ( non key ) go back.

We've just had the message that the boys school is not opening tomorrow. They've had an emergency meeting today to ascertain what they are doing. They didn't get a unanimous vote on wether to open or close, so are going back to the union tomorrow

Back