Any mechanics on here...

Status
Not open for further replies.

cocky

Striker
My car won't start, everything lights up on the dash fine and when I turn the key it struggles like fuck and won't start. The starter motor starts but the engine won't start. I thought at first it would most likely be a low battery, but I checked the voltage on it and it's reading about 12.5V. Would it most likely be a starter motor change?

My car won't start, everything lights up on the dash fine and when I turn the key it struggles like fuck and won't start. The starter motor starts but the engine won't start. I thought at first it would most likely be a low battery, but I checked the voltage on it and it's reading about 12.5V. Would it most likely be a starter motor change?
@Wilfy is a mobile mechanic....drop him a PM and he'll advise you

Not the battery, i put my multimeter on it and it's giving over 12V
Yes I know but I still think its a low battery.

Oh wait Ive just thought, spray WD40 on the wires around the battery see if that helps.

Not the battery, i put my multimeter on it and it's giving over 12V

can you put your multimeter over it and have someone else try to start it, if the battery is screwed it'll drop well below 12v. It maybe that it is doing that then the voltage is recovering before you remeasure it. Failing that does it bump start to narrow down whether it is the starter motor?

can you put your multimeter over it and have someone else try to start it, if the battery is screwed it'll drop well below 12v. It maybe that it is doing that then the voltage is recovering before you remeasure it. Failing that does it bump start to narrow down whether it is the starter motor?
Thanks mate I'll try that later

Take the battery leads off, clean up the battery terminals with emery cloth or sandpaper and reattach the leads, might just be dampness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back