Any M.O.T testers on here?

Isn’t it a case of measuring the crack the same as you’d measure a chip @Goat Eyes ? So if the crack is over the 10mm/40mm from one end to the other it would be a fail?

To check the OP would just need to see if the 10mm/40mm circle covers all the crack?

Last edited:

Nah, what was sorted out was a new MOT cancelling the old one. If your vehicle failed the MOT it was unroadworthy full stop, you could only drive to a place of repair or for a retest, there was no provision for driving around until the old one ran out. Some bell working for the Gov put out a notice saying that an new MOT cancelled out the old one when it wasn't true and caused a lot of confusion. IF you car fails an MOT it is still MOT'ed so if it wasn't fixed and you continued to drive it you be done for driving an unroadyworty vehicle not driving without a MOT.

The MOT is pass or fail.
The law around this was aa clear as the handball rule pre 2018 mate, hence the reason it was changed. Now once your car fails the M.O.T is deemed expired and therefore null and void which it never used to be so it was open to interpretation.

The law around this was aa clear as the handball rule pre 2018 mate, hence the reason it was changed. Now once your car fails the M.O.T is deemed expired and therefore null and void which it never used to be so it was open to interpretation.
Again, it wasn't, if a vehicle failed a MOT it failed, same as now. There's never been a time you could drive a vehicle after a failed MOT without fixing the defects. Ive explained in my post what happened, a failed new MOT does not cancel the old MOT.

Last edited:
Again, it wasn't, if a vehicle failed a MOT it failed, same as now. There's never been a time you could drive a vehicle after a failed MOT without fixing the defects. Ive explained in my post what happened, a failed new MOT does not cancel the old MOT.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this like.

Confused me even more with that sentence marra. Arguing against your own argument aren't yer? 🤣
If anyone is concerned that it may fail and you need the car then I'd deffo recommend the pre test. It's well worth the £10 in my opinion and if the pre MOT is OK and done within the final month then maybe the garage could test that day? I used this link to find a garage local to me that offered pre MOTs.
I wish it was
https://bookmygarage.com/results/?distance=10&postcode=SR68AD&p=1&before=2024-07-15&vrm=71JE

That's what I got done as I had a bit of a clunk on my brakes so suspected something would likely get flagged up

You used to be able to drive until your M.O.T officially expired even after a failed M.O.T but the law changed recently and now only allowed ro drive it for planned repairs or retest.
No it wasn't.
This is what the GOV website used to say in 2014 and suddick mac is correct you could drive it, though you'd run the risk of the police thinking the car was unroadworthy.

I actually crashed my car when my MOT had expired without me realising. It was due to sorting mine and relatives out all the time and losing track (I get the reminders now and also have them in my phone). It was the copper who was at the crash scene who asked about the MOT as it had expired a few weeks prior. I thought I was fucked as my insurance would say nee MOT, nee insurance but it wasn't the case. The car only had to be in roadworthy condition and not having an MOT didn't matter with this insurer thankfully and saved me a claim of £1,000s as my car was written off.

If your vehicle fails the test

You’ll get a ‘notification of failure’ from the test centre if your vehicle fails the test. The failure will be recorded in the secure central MOT database.

You can still drive your vehicle if it fails the test and its existing MOT certificate is still valid (ie you got it tested before the expiry date). However, you might be stopped by police and prosecuted if your vehicle is unroadworthy.

If the vehicle fails the test and the certificate has expired, you can only drive it to:

• a pre-arranged appointment at a garage to have the repairs done
  • a pre-arranged MOT test appointment
Your vehicle should be retested at the same test centre which did the original test.

Last edited:
This is what the GOV website used to say in 2014 and suddick mac is correct you could drive it, though you'd run the risk of the police thinking the car was unroadworthy.

I actually crashed my car when my MOT had expired without me realising. It was due to sorting mine and relatives out all the time and losing track (I get the reminders now and also have them in my phone). It was the copper who was at the crash scene who asked about the MOT as it had expired a few weeks prior. I thought I was fucked as my insurance would say nee MOT, nee insurance but it wasn't the case. The car only had to be in roadworthy condition and not having an MOT didn't matter with this insurer thankfully and saved me a claim of £1,000s as my car was written off.

You’ll get a ‘notification of failure’ from the test centre if your vehicle fails the test. The failure will be recorded in the secure central MOT database.

You can still drive your vehicle if it fails the test and its existing MOT certificate is still valid (ie you got it tested before the expiry date). However, you might be stopped by police and prosecuted if your vehicle is unroadworthy.

If the vehicle fails the test and the certificate has expired, you can only drive it to:

Your vehicle should be retested at the same test centre which did the original test.
The bit in bold, UNROADWORTHY. It's still MOT'ed so it was legal to drive as long as the vehicle was roadworthy.
Confused me even more with that sentence marra. Arguing against your own argument aren't yer? 🤣

That's what I got done as I had a bit of a clunk on my brakes so suspected something would likely get flagged up
I should learn to keep my mouth shut, I'm not very good at explaining things, but I've been repairing and fixing vehicles for the MOT for 30 years.
If it passed though you'd only have 11 months MOT?
Nah, date of retest.

Last edited:

Thanks mate

The bit in bold, UNROADWORTHY. It's still MOT'ed so it was legal to drive as long as the vehicle was roadworthy.

I should learn to keep my mouth shut, I'm not very good at explaining things, but I've been repairing and fixing vehicles for the MOT for 30 years.

Nah, date of retest.
If I read right, what you’re saying is that if a car failed it’s MOT before the expiry date, it would still have a valid MOT so you were driving on that certificate, not the failed one?

I think you’re both in agreement, it’s just semantics?

I know that but nowhere was the word 'legal' mentioned in this thread until now 😉

It could have failed on a dodgy spaced number plate (been there, done that!), so would it not still be roadworthy as the plate wouldn't affect the car's roadworthiness in the slightest would it?

It could have failed on emissions so again would it not still be roadworthy as long as it wasn't hoying out any black smoke that you could see?

Last edited:
If it passed though you'd only have 11 months MOT?
Nah, date of retest
Eh? I see you say you've done car repairs etc for 30 years and I'm nee mechanic but from what I've known for years when taking cars to get tested, you can keep the same renewal date and it's still the same as you can see here. Or is that because it's failed?

You can get an MOT up to a month (minus a day) before it runs out and keep the same renewal date.

Example
If your MOT runs out on 15 May, the earliest you can get an MOT to keep the same renewal date for next year is 16 April.

You can get an MOT earlier, but the renewal date for the following year will change to one year (minus a day) from the date the vehicle last passed its MOT.

Example
Your MOT is due to run out on 15 May, so the earliest you can get it done is 16 April. However, you take your vehicle for its MOT on 14 April and it passes. This means that the MOT expiry date changes to 13 April the following year.

Last edited:
If I read right, what you’re saying is that if a car failed it’s MOT before the expiry date, it would still have a valid MOT so you were driving on that certificate, not the failed one?

I think you’re both in agreement, it’s just semantics?
What I'm saying if you take a car for a MOT and it fails it's in an unroadworthy condition, It cannot legally be driven on the road, there has never been a case where a failure meant the car could still be driven legally. The car needs to be MOT'ed and in a roadworthy condition, if it's failed the MOT it's not roadworthy.
Eh? I see you say you've done car repairs etc for 30 years and I'm nee mechanic but from what I've known for years when taking cars to get tested, you can keep the same renewal date and it's still the same as you can see here.

You can get an MOT up to a month (minus a day) before it runs out and keep the same renewal date.

Example
If your MOT runs out on 15 May, the earliest you can get an MOT to keep the same renewal date for next year is 16 April.

You can get an MOT earlier, but the renewal date for the following year will change to one year (minus a day) from the date the vehicle last passed its MOT.

Example
Your MOT is due to run out on 15 May, so the earliest you can get it done is 16 April. However, you take your vehicle for its MOT on 14 April and it passes. This means that the MOT expiry date changes to 13 April the following year.
I was taking the piss if it's passed it doesn't need a retest....
So taking it in for an MOT a month early will effectively lose you a month
No you gain a month if it passes. :lol:

Last edited:
Sure mine once failed years back because the dog had took a few chunks out the steering wheel rubber. It was definitely mentioned for something on the certificate
You sure it was the dog and not your lass' teeth? 😉

You used to be able to drive until your M.O.T officially expired even after a failed M.O.T but the law changed recently and now only allowed ro drive it for planned repairs or retest.
Didnt know that , thought you still had until your expiry . Wont be getting mine done early again

Car is booked in for an M.O.T next week and it has an edge crack on the drivers side at the bottom of the windscreen which then turns upwards at the edge of the frame.
It is a single line crack so the diameter obviously can't be measured and all I can see online is that if it exceeds certain diameters in specific areas it will fail but can't find any guidance on this type of crack.
Don't really have time to get it done before the M.O.T as I am working away so looking for advice whether it will fail as I can't afford the car to be off the road but plan to get it done as soon as I can.
Get it replaced, only going to get worse over time and maybe cause an incident. I'm a HGV driver, and I'm told anything you notice is a fail, they get the glue man out to fix it, but screen is replaced prior to MOT. Sure, it's the same with cars, depends on where you take it. Keep away from Kwik-Fit or Halfords etc

Back