Any chemists on here?

Surgical spirit is ethanol usually mixed with a bit of methanol to put you off drinking it.

Isopropanol is a different chemical. Used to be used in car windscreen wash back in the day, smells fab.

What you need to understand is that all these are classed as "alcohols" ie they have an -OH chemical group in them.

Methanol CH3-OH
Ethanol CH3-CH2-OH
Isopropanol CH3-CH2(OH)-CH3

The alcohol group (OH) is just joined onto a different carbon atom in Isopropanol....the middle one of three.

Hope this helps.

Surgical spirit is ethanol usually mixed with a bit of methanol to put you off drinking it.

Isopropanol is a different chemical. Used to be used in car windscreen wash back in the day, smells fab.

What you need to understand is that all these are classed as "alcohols" ie they have an -OH chemical group in them.

Methanol CH3-OH
Ethanol CH3-CH2-OH
Isopropanol CH3-CH2(OH)-CH3

The alcohol group (OH) is just joined onto a different carbon atom in Isopropanol....the middle one of three.

Hope this helps.

Where is surgical spirit on that list then Les?

I was just going to say , “ better ask hank as he’s always chemist”

Imagine thinking anyone one here was actually qualified to do anything.
There was a few prisoners done (in Portland I think) for mixing lemon squash with alcohol hand rub and drinking it. Now I don’t think they passed an exam to do this but they did show some initiative. Obviously they’ve not passed the “ getting away with it” gcse as that’s 2 failures. Getting caught being put away in the first place and now this

Last edited:
Surgical spirit has methanol, castor oil and methyl salicylate added (that's the characteristic smell)
Not really suitable for cleaning

Isopropyl alcohol can be bought online or from electrical repair type places, wouldn't be a chemists shop item.

Back