Another Josh Maja

Status
Not open for further replies.

When he says didn’t want to leave he means he wanted a massive wedge I imagine. Probably more than he asked for initially which by all accounts the club matched.
I imagine the club didn’t want to appear to pander to this sort of behaviour, early days of ‘the piss taking stops now’ and turned it down. Gambling on the fact ‘proven’ league 1 goals would be cheaper to come by. Hindsight has proved it was a bad decision but I can kind of see why it was made to be honest. And I am no defender of this regime by any stretch.

When he says didn’t want to leave he means he wanted a massive wedge I imagine. Probably more than he asked for initially which by all accounts the club matched.
I imagine the club didn’t want to appear to pander to this sort of behaviour, early days of ‘the piss taking stops now’ and turned it down. Gambling on the fact ‘proven’ league 1 goals would be cheaper to come by. Hindsight has proved it was a bad decision but I can kind of see why it was made to be honest. And I am no defender of this regime by any stretch.

I think you're right. I don’t think this is a situation where anyone needs to be ‘blamed’ to be honest. All parties made quite understandable human decisions, acting rationally and logically, and ultimately that meant he left.

Yeah it didn’t work out for us, but that’s life. Not every mistake needs the blame pinned on one person.

I read that as,

I wanted to stay when I had nothing else but wanted to be paid shit loads, then when I started to bang goals in I wanted a shit load more but even then I'd rather go to a better team in a higher league.

I think he was probably asking too much at first then when he proved his worth it was too late.

Exclusive: Josh Maja reveals why he snubbed Premier League interest at Sunderland

Part 2

His move to Bordeaux was perhaps a surprising one given some of the English top flight sides rumoured to be interested during his time at Sunderland.
So why Les Girondins?
“There were a few other clubs, different clubs in Europe and in the Championship and the Premier League, but Bordeaux showed the most interest and that was it.
Josh Maja has revealed why he snubbed Premier League interest at Sunderland

Maja has netted twice this season in 12 appearances as he continues to form part of Bordeaux’s first-team plans, despite his tender years,

But is hasn’t been all plain-sailing since his move across the Channel, with a ligament injury curtailing his progress towards the end of last season.
For Maja, it was a tough blow to take.
“It was quite difficult because that was my first start under the new coach,” he admitted.
“I thought I did well in the game, I scored, and then it was really frustrating.

“But that’s part of football and I knew what I needed to do.
“I’ve had injuries before and I’ve dealt with them fine so it wasn’t a big problem for me.
“I just needed to focus and work as hard as possible to get back, and that’s what I’ve done.”
And since his comeback, things have progressed well for the former Sunderland striker - not just on a domestic basis, either.

Maja earned his first cap for Nigeria in September, having decided to represent the Super Eagles over England.
“It was good to get the call-up a few weeks back,” said the striker.
“It was quite unexpected, but the Nigeria squad is quite young, so for me it was a good chance to show what I can do.
“Hopefully in the future I get more opportunities.”

“I think it was always going to be Nigeria,” he continued.
“I mean, it’s the first team - and if it were England then it would probably only be the youth teams. Nigeria was a no-brainer.”
But with Bordeaux and Maja himself having enjoyed a strong start to the season - what is he eyeing in the coming months?
“Individually I want to play as many games as possible at this level and keep improving my game, keep learning and striving to be better as a player.

“As a person it’s about living in a different country and adapting to life.
“As a team, I think we can do whatever we want as long as we work hard and give our all every game.
“This season we can maybe go for a Europa League or Champions League place. If we perform well in games and get good results then I think it’s possible.”
And while Maja’s gaze will be on the Champions League, he will always keep a close eye on his former club and their quest for promotion.

“To see them not get promoted was really upsetting, and I wished them all the best when I left.
“But that’s just football, you have to bounce back the best you can and hopefully they do that this season.”

If he stayed last season his goals would have ensured auto prom.

Totally contradicts himself claiming he wants to stay then saying fans need to understand players have ambitions. He left because we didn’t offer him a big wage and he got more elsewhere simple as that and no problem with it but I’m not buying this shit he wanted to stay!

As contradictary a piece as I have ever read. Diane Abbot would've been proud of it! He starts by saying if he had been offered a better contract, he would have stayed and then goes on about how he had to leave to further his career. Keep quiet is the better option lad!
If he stayed last season his goals would have ensured auto prom.
Aye but he didn't so we move on marra.

Last edited:
"But at the time, I don’t think Sunderland were prepared to give me what I wanted........ so when the opportunity to play in one of Europe’s top five leagues came up, I couldn’t turn that down"

Feck nose why so many people want to jump at the chance to criticise the club when it's right there in front of their eyes......

The lad had already decided himself that we wouldn't give him what he wanted - which presumably means he would only have stayed for something outrageous and unrealistic (otherwise he would have asked, wouldn't he?).

He THEN tells you that once Bordeaux came in (presumably his agent had continued to tout him around whilst negotiations with SAFC were ongoing) it was all over anyway. He felt he COULD NOT TURN THEM DOWN.

Sorry if that doesn't fit the agenda some of you have to justify your vitriol but it's all there in that one paragraph.

Yet another SD mistake or JM trying to make himself look better?

The biggest mistake SD has ever made for me was his decision not to play Lyle Taylor that goal bonus, wed have walked the league with him even under Jack Dross.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back