Another academy player gone

• Thread starter Deleted member 31333
  • Start date
If this wage cap thing does come in without a grace period we'll be fucked mind. I'm sure a part of it was around only being allowed a squad size of 20, and 8 of those had to be homegrown. Previously that could have been a great advantage to clubs like us but now fuck knows which 8 we'd have to use. Guessing Hume, Gooch, Embleton and Leadbitter would count. Had thought Mumba and Kimpioka would be in there but both likely to go. Not as if there's even any good slightly younger ones to complement them now!

Shows how stupid and irresponsible these fuckwits are.

It might not end up being the case but the squad cap and home club grown quota could be a possibility and we need to plan for this.

If this wage cap thing does come in without a grace period we'll be fucked mind. I'm sure a part of it was around only being allowed a squad size of 20, and 8 of those had to be homegrown. Previously that could have been a great advantage to clubs like us but now fuck knows which 8 we'd have to use. Guessing Hume, Gooch, Embleton and Leadbitter would count. Had thought Mumba and Kimpioka would be in there but both likely to go. Not as if there's even any good slightly younger ones to complement them now!
I haven't looked into this yet, just seen people alluding to it on here. What would be the sanction or reprimand if we can't fill the HG player quota? Because at this point in time it looks very unlikely we'll be able to comply with it.

Heres an example of how amateurish our club look with our youth set up. Compare these 2 website with player info

Boro:

Us:

Which looks the more professional and serious?

This is just a tiny improvement the club can change instantly

The denial on this thread is palpable. Some supporters watching yet another youngster move on to a club in a higher ( for now ) division and jumping in to pretend it's not part of a worrying trend.

On its face maybe this isn't a disaster, but if you can't see where this is headed you are either a fool or willfully ignorant.

I wonder if the same posters will be so relaxed when the current owners eventually use the lack of academy players as a pretext to sell off the land as they're not using it effectively.

Totally agree, our academy players should have some type of impact in league one. We are a shambles. Even if we had agreement of a loan back first option.

Sell the lot then offer open trials for young lads who want a chance, give them appreticeships, let them clean boots, fuck all the agents off, back to basics.
Only thing to keep is the education scheme for the lads who dont make it.
Sorted

Eas gonna say they wouldnt be so inept to enforce that immediately but this play off thing shows theyre capable of anything.

Eas gonna say they wouldnt be so inept to enforce that immediately but this play off thing shows theyre capable of anything.

Aye, realistically they'd have to give at least a season's grace (like you, I wouldn't put anything past them mind). Thing is we've decimated the younger groups so, in addition to having nowt coming through for this season coming, I'd be amazed if we had anyone coming through for the next season. I suppose we'd have to bring some lads in this season and then claim them as home grown (or just stop f***ing about and get promoted) but fuck knows what kind of standard they'd be.

The frustrating thing is that many would probably support the idea of a 20 man squad with 8 players from the clubs academy. It would be a great way of ensuring kids get a chance in this league without having to loan them in, it might make some kids ply their trade here rather than higher up if they know they have to be involved, and we should be, in theory, almost guaranteed a pretty strong squad any time we drop to this level due to our academy. But typically just when we get an owner incapable of getting us promoted, he also gets rid of just about any lad who can kick a football

Aye, realistically they'd have to give at least a season's grace (like you, I wouldn't put anything past them mind). Thing is we've decimated the younger groups so, in addition to having nowt coming through for this season coming, I'd be amazed if we had anyone coming through for the next season. I suppose we'd have to bring some lads in this season and then claim them as home grown (or just stop f***ing about and get promoted) but fuck knows what kind of standard they'd be.

The frustrating thing is that many would probably support the idea of a 20 man squad with 8 players from the clubs academy. It would be a great way of ensuring kids get a chance in this league without having to loan them in, it might make some kids ply their trade here rather than higher up if they know they have to be involved, and we should be, in theory, almost guaranteed a pretty strong squad any time we drop to this level due to our academy. But typically just when we get an owner incapable of getting us promoted, he also gets rid of just about any lad who can kick a football
When Donald first took over we were in a fantastic position to build our club with our Academy at the heart. We had some seriously talented lads coming through at they should have been the bedrock of the club. Instead 15 or so Academy lads gone all to team further up the pyramid than us. Such a massive wasted opportunity which I feel has totally passed us by. The majority of these lads have been with us this from the age of 8 and gone when they are just about to reach an age that could impact the 1st team. I'm actually gutted by it all.

Here's a list of academy players/products we've sold since Donald arrived:

Michael Would (Willem II)
Luke Hewitson (Liverpool)
Jacob Young (Hoffenheim)
Williams Kokolo (Middlesbrough)
Logan Pye (Manchester United)
George Honeyman (Hull)
Bali Mumba (Norwich) *
Luca Stephenson (Liverpool)
James McConnell (Liverpool)
Morten Spencer (Leeds)
Andrew Nelson (Dundee)
Josh Maja (Bordeux)
Joel Asoro (Swansea)
Cole Kiernan (Middlesbrough)
Sam Greenwood (Arsenal)
Joe Hughill (Manchester United)

*not confirmed yet

16 players gone! Absolutely disgusting what he has done to the academy :evil:

Hate these wankers running the place me, absolutely destroying our club.

Here's a list of academy players/products we've sold since Donald arrived:

Michael Would (Willem II)
Luke Hewitson (Liverpool)
Jacob Young (Hoffenheim)
Williams Kokolo (Middlesbrough)
Logan Pye (Manchester United)
George Honeyman (Hull)
Bali Mumba (Norwich) *
Luca Stephenson (Liverpool)
James McConnell (Liverpool)
Morten Spencer (Leeds)
Andrew Nelson (Dundee)
Josh Maja (Bordeux)
Joel Asoro (Swansea)
Cole Kiernan (Middlesbrough)
Sam Greenwood (Arsenal)
Joe Hughill (Manchester United)

*not confirmed yet

16 players gone! Absolutely disgusting what he has done to the academy :evil:

Youve also got to factor in the staff that have left. We’ve had afew go, one went to the mags, one went to Leeds

One to Wolves aswell

yup. Methven lying out of his arse trying to disguise it as a ‘shake up’. All the while Paul Reid talking about how good we are at age group footy. Why would you have a ‘shake up’ when you’re doing so well?

yup. Methven lying out of his arse trying to disguise it as a ‘shake up’. All the while Paul Reid talking about how good we are at age group footy. Why would you have a ‘shake up’ when you’re doing so well?
This blokes at boro now

They are all full of shit. No idea of how to run a big club. They were just trying to turn us into a league one club

Last edited:

Back