Another academy player gone

• Thread starter Deleted member 31333
  • Start date
I thought with eppp there is pretty much nothing you can do to stop players moving between academies, hence the term compensation rather than fee. Is there anyway Cole could have been kept if he wanted to move?

I thought with eppp there is pretty much nothing you can do to stop players moving between academies, hence the term compensation rather than fee. Is there anyway Cole could have been kept if he wanted to move?
There isn't anything you can do, the problem is the club are doing very little to keep them here and are actively touting them out while dining on the "well there was nothing we could do" excuse.

The club could try and ask these lads to stay.

I suppose they could and probably do sometimes. I imagine more of them are choosing not to stay now than did when Sunderland were higher up the pyramid.
There isn't anything you can do, the problem is the club are doing very little to keep them here and are actively touting them out while dining on the "well there was nothing we could do" excuse.

I’ve heard this mention of the club actively trying to sell them before. Was it just a parent claiming that or is there more than one source?

Last edited:
I suppose they could and probably do sometimes. I imagine more of them are choosing not to stay now than did when Sunderland were higher up the pyramid.

I’ve heard this mention of the club actively trying to sell them before. Was it just a parent claiming that or is there more than one source?
Just what I've read on here.
But one of the Academy players mother gets on here she could tell you more.

Not convinced - it’s an asset strip.

There are things we can do for younger players. We can refuse clubs permission to talk to kids under 16. Which we haven't been doing.

There are things we can do for younger players. We can refuse clubs permission to talk to kids under 16. Which we haven't been doing.

We can, but I think it's morally right that we do allow them to talk to parents. These things have a habit of leaking out, and it could create huge resentment if it comes to light later that one of the top 6 had been asking permission to talk to them. What we need to do is be more pro-active in convincing them they're better off staying put.

We can, but I think it's morally right that we do allow them to talk to parents. These things have a habit of leaking out, and it could create huge resentment if it comes to light later that one of the top 6 had been asking permission to talk to them. What we need to do is be more pro-active in convincing them they're better off staying put.

Our shit owners are convincing them to leave.

Morally right? Are you being serious? We'll have spent years developing these kids and you're suggesting its morally right that we alert them to other interested clubs before we've had the chance to tie them down to a pro contract? Disagree massively. Get them tied down to an initial contract. It's the only way our academy will survive.

Said it before, but trying to keep young players here needs to be more than saying we tried to convince them.

If you're an u18 player at Sunderland at the minute you're coming off the back of a season without a win, looking at a pathway to the first team that includes an u23s side coming off the back of a season without a win.

Or you might get a loan to Shields or Harrogate or Hartlepool, which is likely the highest level you'll play at before being released because your own development has been stifled by manager after manager needing short-term solutions to keep his own head above water.

How do you fix that? It's not a quick and easy fix like a few seats or a PA system so the owners won't want to bother.

At this level, I think it's now or never for a lot of them. If you're ever going to be a top player, you have no problem forcing yourself in at this level. Delph, Maguire, Oxlade-Chamberlain and Shelvey all did at very young ages.

It's not reasonable to expect any club to maintain the largesse of Premier League operations when you're consecutively relegated. Tough choices have to be made and priorities set accordingly. People talk about Mumba being the best of the lot - well why is he out on loan to South Shields when Shelvey and AOC were starting every week at this level at a younger age? That's a huge gap in the level of football. I'd love to give many of these lads three and four year deals in the hope they come good down the road, but should that really come at the expense of a 20 goal striker or a pacey match winning winger? Unfortunately you have to make those decisions at this level. There's no magic money tree.

WUM or club stooge. Only you know

Now fuck off

Said it before, but trying to keep young players here needs to be more than saying we tried to convince them.

If you're an u18 player at Sunderland at the minute you're coming off the back of a season without a win, looking at a pathway to the first team that includes an u23s side coming off the back of a season without a win.

Or you might get a loan to Shields or Harrogate or Hartlepool, which is likely the highest level you'll play at before being released because your own development has been stifled by manager after manager needing short-term solutions to keep his own head above water.

How do you fix that? It's not a quick and easy fix like a few seats or a PA system so the owners won't want to bother.
Agree with all that apart from being a quick fix. I thinks it's an easy fix and starts with there being a 1st squad of around 18 senior players. Who ever the manager is needs to buy into that or they are gone

If this wage cap thing does come in without a grace period we'll be fucked mind. I'm sure a part of it was around only being allowed a squad size of 20, and 8 of those had to be homegrown. Previously that could have been a great advantage to clubs like us but now fuck knows which 8 we'd have to use. Guessing Hume, Gooch, Embleton and Leadbitter would count. Had thought Mumba and Kimpioka would be in there but both likely to go. Not as if there's even any good slightly younger ones to complement them now!

Back