Annual Council Tax Moan

Fred

Winger
I always thought that the maximum a council could increase your yearly rate by was 4.99%, but this year Durham Council have increased it by 5.2% with a staggering 12.5% increase in the amount being given to our town council.

Has this just happened where it can go over 5% or have I missed something over the last couple of years?

Also how much is yours going up by in other areas?

I always thought that the maximum a council could increase your yearly rate by was 4.99%, but this year Durham Council have increased it by 5.2% with a staggering 12.5% increase in the amount being given to our town council.

Has this just happened where it can go over 5% or have I missed something over the last couple of years?

It's always been the case. Its just the main councils that are capped at 5%. Police, fire & the town & parish Councils can go above which can take it higher than the 5% think northumbria police whacked theirs up 10% or something last year.
During the time when Cameron was claiming he'd frozen council tax, mine actually increased by 0.1% because of this

I blame the liberals and so called independents😉

I haven’t had the letter yet, but I expect it’ll irritate me when it does.

I should also point out I live in the council leaders ward, the roads are still fucked round here despite the money she’s ploughed into questionable schemes!

If the Council is skint they are given permission by the govt to increase it above the 4.99%.
This suits the government as the councils end up taking the flak even though it’s the governments slashing of the council’s budgets which has caused it in the first place.

I hate tax, there's so much of it
It's not really a tax though, it's a charge. Tax is based on how much you earn or spend.
If the Council is skint they are given permission by the govt to increase it above the 4.99%.
This suits the government as the councils end up taking the flak even though it’s the governments slashing of the council’s budgets which has caused it in the first place.
The current administration at DCC blamed the old administration not the government.

Last edited:
It's not really a tax though, it's a charge. Tax is based on how much you earn or spend.

The current administration at DCC blamed the old administration not the government.
Wey it says tax... and its pricey for taking a bin once a fortneet

Back