Annie Nightingale RIP

I recall two things about Annie Nightingale. She mentioned me on the OGWT once. And the car-crash interview with Paul Simon when she asked him if he missed Art Garfunkel, who he'd written all those Simon & Garfunkel songs with. If he was as mortified as his facial expression suggested as he corrected her, he did a good job of controlling his voice.

All that's by-the-by. RIP Annie.

Never seen that before !

Seem to recall, on live TV, she walked in on The Police to present some music award or another when they were all engaged with a certain type of band follower.

RIP

She was 36 when Punk arrived. She was pretty unknown before that. Mind you, it was mainly because she was the only female DJ at Radio 1 from 1970 till 82.
Pre-punk, I think she was mainly known for being a female DJ but punk and the rise of Indie seemed to give her some focus and she became a champion of new music outside the mainstream. It's always a shame when we lose someone whose primary interest was music rather than their own career.

My first thought after hearing this she’s never 83. Then I remembered I’m63 and I used to listen to her Sunday teatime show when I was in sixth form

RIP. Great presenter of great music
It was her Sunday night programme I listened to in the early 80s, either before or after Alexis Korner's great programme, and the OGWT too. RIP a bit of a pioneer

Back