American 'tipping etiquette' article

Just do that then. Then everyone knows where they stand. That the US is an absolute rip off of a country.

Wasn't always that way. Around 15 years ago the US was much cheaper than the UK most of Europe, though this was when the dollar was around 1.80 to the pound. It even hit 2.00 at one point - I'd take an empty suitcase and go clothes shopping as it was so cheap and you could eat out at top restaurants for reasonable prices. Over recent years the dollar has got much stronger against the GBP and EUR and inflation hit them hard for a while (though not as bad as the UK)

Wasn't always that way. Around 15 years ago the US was much cheaper than the UK most of Europe, though this was when the dollar was around 1.80 to the pound. It even hit 2.00 at one point - I'd take an empty suitcase and go clothes shopping as it was so cheap and you could eat out at top restaurants for reasonable prices. Over recent years the dollar has got much stronger against the GBP and EUR and inflation hit them hard for a while (though not as bad as the UK)
I remember being there when it was over $2 to the £1. Must have been circa 2003. Think I went three times that year, cheap as chips.

I have no problem with leaving a tip for good service, think it's well deserved....

I don't like having to tip, no matter how shit the service is, as it's expected, they can piss off with it, I've been to various parts of States over the years and when the service has been poor I've told them and its been reflected in my tip or lack of it....

Paid $30 for two beers in Miami, had to go to the bar to get them, didn't even get a word from the barmaid, just a nod to ask what I wanted, she pulled 2 beers and put them on the bar and wanted 18%, absolutely no chance, I paid for the beers and walked away, she came and asked me why I hadn't tipped her, I told her why, she wasn't happy, neither were the Americans around me, but bollox to them all....
Finished our drinks, went to the next bar, waiter was excellent, service spot on, full tip, no bother....

Should only be tipped for the level of service....

I've heard that some tourist bars and restaurants have special menus for British customers where the prices are 20% higher

I have no problem with leaving a tip for good service, think it's well deserved....

I don't like having to tip, no matter how shit the service is, as it's expected, they can piss off with it, I've been to various parts of States over the years and when the service has been poor I've told them and its been reflected in my tip or lack of it....

Paid $30 for two beers in Miami, had to go to the bar to get them, didn't even get a word from the barmaid, just a nod to ask what I wanted, she pulled 2 beers and put them on the bar and wanted 18%, absolutely no chance, I paid for the beers and walked away, she came and asked me why I hadn't tipped her, I told her why, she wasn't happy, neither were the Americans around me, but bollox to them all....
Finished our drinks, went to the next bar, waiter was excellent, service spot on, full tip, no bother....

What were the Americans around you saying?

People are getting obsessed with it over here now. This wife i work with couldnt enjoy our xmas meal for worrying about tipping. Weeks before we even went it was all she was going on about it.

Am f***ing mint at my job, highly underpaid and nee ones every gave me a tip

Yup. Shame how its gone like.

I never used to mind tipping in America until their economy went absolutely batshit mental and stuff that cost say $3 in 2010 was $10+ by 2024. Fuck that. My Days of going to America are done. They are taking the piss now in tourist places taking peoples eyes out for sheer fuck all.
It’s not like it’s cheap either. £17 for a
cappuccino and a bottle of orange juice in our hotel lounge including tip.

View attachment 15412
Exactly what I mean^^^

Many ago in Vegas I paid for 2 beers at a bar. Bloke pulled them and gave me the bill, say €4.40 for arguments sake (before they started taking peoples eyes out in Vegas). I left the 60 cent change on the bar for him and he was so pissed off the miserable bellend refused to take it :lol:

Last edited:
Wasn't always that way. Around 15 years ago the US was much cheaper than the UK most of Europe, though this was when the dollar was around 1.80 to the pound. It even hit 2.00 at one point - I'd take an empty suitcase and go clothes shopping as it was so cheap and you could eat out at top restaurants for reasonable prices.
Yep. Thats why I wont be back. Tbh I remember the days Americans were rioting when their petrol went over a dollar for gallon. So god knows how it’s got to how it is now.

Yep. Thats why I wont be back. Tbh I remember the days Americans were rioting when their petrol went over a dollar for gallon. So god knows how it’s got to how it is now.

Then again, the US federal gas tax (18 cents per gallon) hasn't gone up since 1993 - which is one reason why their roads are in such a bad state.

From my experience rent is about the same, bills similar, food more expensive. Given that i was in SE Texas can imagine all 3 to be more than here when you look at the big cities / more upmarket areas than Port Arthur.
Port Arthur would certainly not be classed as upmarket. Spent a lot of time in Beaumont near there which was pretty grim and went to Port Arthur on a free weekend........got there turned around and went to Galveston instead.

In the early to mid 90’s , some English tourists in our hotel bought another suitcase and went back home with it full of nee clothes.

We went to the Florida mall one night , bought all sorts of top brand gear for next to nowt , like half price , and this was in a shop like John Lewis not a factory outlet place.

Some of the new stuff I’d bought at home was taken back for a refund when I got home.

Bought a set of Callaway golf clubs one year , bumped into two people I knew on the flight back and three of us had bought clubs in the same shop.

Last time we went 2016 we bought nothing but food and drink it was that expensive.

think there's 3 states introduced min wage, California is one, think other 2 are Alaska and Montana, ( not sure ) .

On another note, be careful if drinking at West Rib in Talkeetna Alaska, put tip on bill( unbeknown to us ) and we also left a cash tip. Not going back there
Thanks, was thinking of having a dodge in at the weekend, but will go to the one over the road instead.:)

Port Arthur would certainly not be classed as upmarket. Spent a lot of time in Beaumont near there which was pretty grim and went to Port Arthur on a free weekend........got there turned around and went to Galveston instead.
Galveston is nice. Just too far for work for me.
You working in Beaumont?
O&G / Refineries pretty much keep the economy going in that area.

I can’t stand the American tipping culture, for me a tip should be a nice little bonus for exceptional service to be able to treat the worker and not a top up on a poultry wage that is expected to be the given

I get that people doing the tipping is well intentioned and the servers certainly deserve to earn something they can live off but the whole culture of it just takes the heat off the fat cat owners who are the real villains not the consumer who has turned up and paid the correct price for the products provided

That’s a fowl opinion. I’m spitting feathers just reading it, really cooked my goose it has.

In the early to mid 90’s , some English tourists in our hotel bought another suitcase and went back home with it full of nee clothes.

We went to the Florida mall one night , bought all sorts of top brand gear for next to nowt , like half price , and this was in a shop like John Lewis not a factory outlet place.

Some of the new stuff I’d bought at home was taken back for a refund when I got home.

Bought a set of Callaway golf clubs one year , bumped into two people I knew on the flight back and three of us had bought clubs in the same shop.

Last time we went 2016 we bought nothing but food and drink it was that expensive.

You had to be careful though - Customs were on the watchout for people arriving from the US with bags of shopping from Macey's etc especially on high value items like jewelry. My workaround was to throw away all of the packaging, bags and receipts and rough everything up so if stopped (and I never was) I could claim that I'd had all of the clothes for ages.

Galveston is nice. Just too far for work for me.
You working in Beaumont?
O&G / Refineries pretty much keep the economy going in that area.

Have done in the past but the plant we had there closed in 2021 (plant was in Nederland on the Twin City Highway out of Beaumont towards Port Arthur IIRC) only been there for two and three week stints. Had a nightmare keeping people as they just upped and went to the various refineries who were outpaying us by a mile.

Last edited:
You had to be careful though - Customs were on the watchout for people arriving from the US with bags of shopping from Macey's etc especially on high value items like jewelry. My workaround was to throw away all of the packaging, bags and receipts and rough everything up so if stopped (and I never was) I could claim that I'd had all of the clothes for ages.

I knew my golf clubs would attract attention from customs, so I played dumb , I explained that I’d bought and played with them but I didn’t consider them a gift so could I have clarification.

The customs officers at NCL were very good to be fair , one of them wanted to know where I bought them as he was going to Orlando in a few weeks and would be buying a set.

They ended up charging me a token £16 iirc

I forgot a about the clothes I’d bought though….

They were the halcyon days!

I went to Boston in the mid-90's and had a day out at an Outlet village somewhere in New England......was literally like a kid in a sweet shop in the Ralph Lauren shop, bought so much stuff there, and trainers at Nike, that I had to leave my some of my own gear in the hotel when coming home as it wouldn't fit in me case.

Over the later years, the prices crept up but it was still good to get regional releases that weren't readily available here.

Nowadays, anyone who says they are going to the US to do shopping, it's can only be for the novelty factor,.....I'd argue there's very little that you can't get here, and probably cheaper.

For example, I buy a lot from Engineered Garments, which is actually made in New York, yet it's no cheaper to buy it in their NY store, instead of their UK Store.

Saying that, the lasses still seem to find a shit ton to buy in the likes of Sephora when over there.

Back