Alex Hales to play only white ball cricket

Ballance and Vince play in position Hales could have succeeded in, given the opportunity. Not rocket science

You go on re Ballance, his recall v s Africa was a total write off, dismissed in the same manner, everytime. he was taken to Australia, played no games, despite the batting order failing clearly in every game.

Why was he selected? It makes no sense at all.

Still not sure why you are putting them together, already explained that

He wasn't that bad either on recall, difficult pitches that summer and conditions, they aint flat

This smacks of Graves, Harrison and Strauss's obsession with winning the World Cup. We're going to look like muppets when we go out to Sri Lanka in the quarter finals.

We have the best chance of winning the World Cup that I have known in my lifetime and I am 46.

Of course they could go out in the quarters as in knock out cricket that's always a possibility, however the exciting, attacking and entertaing brand of cricket they are playing gives them a hell of a chance.

Not sure why anyone would want to put a negative spin or something soo positive!!!

Still not sure why you are putting them together, already explained that

He wasn't that bad either on recall, difficult pitches that summer and conditions, they aint flat
I will put it easy.

Ballance and Vince play in positions in the team, which imo, Hales could do at least as well and probably better, if given the chances those two have had.

Simple, straightforward opinion which you appear to be deliberately miss interpreting

I don't think he is up for it Rashid mentally, which is half the battle, he was a bit lucky to get so many chances after he pulled out of the Ashes test that time.

Hales, maybe, too many weaknesses for me, Ballance earned his call up,he was by far the best batsman in county cricket last year, not his fault they played him at 3, he is certainly a better 4 day player than Hales.
Yea. I don't think Rashid id up for it. Personally I think that's why he wasn't in the Ashes squad. ie he said to them he wasn't fussed.

Yea. I don't think Rashid id up for it. Personally I think that's why he wasn't in the Ashes squad. ie he said to them he wasn't fussed.

Joe Root has known him since they were kids, and he didn't want him, says a lot

I will put it easy.

Ballance and Vince play in positions in the team, which imo, Hales could do at least as well and probably better, if given the chances those two have had.

Simple, straightforward opinion which you appear to be deliberately miss interpreting

I am not, you yet again are ignoring the facts

Ballance got a recall because he avergaged 100 in division 1

That is why Hales wasn't recalled after he failed in the test team the firs time

pretty simple, and pretty fair

Joe Root has known him since they were kids, and he didn't want him, says a lot

I am not, you yet again are ignoring the facts

Ballance got a recall because he avergaged 100 in division 1

That is why Hales wasn't recalled after he failed in the test team the firs time

pretty simple, and pretty fair
You are totally ignoring my opinion that Hales could do better in the test side than Vince and Ballance given the chance

You are totally ignoring the FACTS of the repetive dismissals of both Vince and Ballance

You are totally ignoring the FACT that Ballance was not considered once, during the most recent test series v Australia and the FACT of the previous series v S Africa, when he was dismissed in identical manner.

It has nothing to do with the county championship whatsoever.

There are proven FACTS of failure in the two most recent test series.

Yet again you are showing your ignorance to suit your point and disregarding anything that does not suit

How IDs is it now, 3. That's a FACT that is very sad

I will put it easy.

Hales has played 11 Tests, Vince 12. So tell me why you think Vince has been given chances that Hales hasn't.

Ballance has double that, mainly because he had 4 centuries in his first couple of years in the side and he was the best bat in the County Championship. His record at both FC and Test level is on a different level to Hales. Absolutely miles better. He's probably done for now, but he earned his extra run.

This fascination people have with one day hitters like Hales and Buttler, after they fail repeatedly in both domestic and international red ball cricket, baffles me.

Hales has played 11 Tests, Vince 12. So tell me why you think Vince has been given chances that Hales hasn't.

Ballance has double that, mainly because he had 4 centuries in his first couple of years in the side and he was the best bat in the County Championship. His record at both FC and Test level is on a different level to Hales. Absolutely miles better. He's probably done for now, but he earned his extra run.

This fascination people have with one day hitters like Hales and Buttler, after they fail repeatedly in both domestic and international red ball cricket, baffles me.

Because they are world class match winners in a similar form of the game.

They both deserve more chances than Vince because Vince is average in all forms of the game.

Ballance has been found out at test level despite his excellent start.

You are totally ignoring my opinion that Hales could do better in the test side than Vince and Ballance given the chance

You are totally ignoring the FACTS of the repetive dismissals of both Vince and Ballance

You are totally ignoring the FACT that Ballance was not considered once, during the most recent test series v Australia and the FACT of the previous series v S Africa, when he was dismissed in identical manner.

It has nothing to do with the county championship whatsoever.

There are proven FACTS of failure in the two most recent test series.

Yet again you are showing your ignorance to suit your point and disregarding anything that does not suit

How IDs is it now, 3. That's a FACT that is very sad

Eh? You’ve said all post what did Ballance do ti get a recall and what did hales not do?

It’s fairly obvious like

He didn’t deserve a recall

Ballance did

Simple really, not sure what waffling on about

They both deserve more chances than Vince because Vince is average in all forms of the game.

We all agree with Vince

So let’s not bring him into it, it’s just bizare

Ballance is and always will be a better 4 day player than Hales.

He has no future now which is fair enough like, still got 4 100s

But he earned his recall

I agree

I understand some points as some one day players can fit in with poor first class records

I just find the criticism of Ballance so strange

He’s scored 4 tests 100s

He was dropped then averaged close to 100 in div 1

Of course he deserved a recall

Identical to Bairstow, dropped as kept getting bowled, averaged 100 in div 1 then recalled

Last edited:

It's becoming a different sport altogether, the skill set for ODI/T20 batsman nowadays is miles away from the skills needed to build a Test innings. Carty is arguing that Vince keeps getting out to the same shot, but seems to want to ignore that Hales was the same.

And yet James Vince's First Class record is better than Alex Hales'. Perceptions are funny things.

And nobody is disagreeing about Ballance, however it doesn't change the fact that his red ball career is on a different planet to Alex Hales.

Tbf too all 3 in the debate,Ballance ,Vince and Hales,I personally think they have been chucked too much in the deep end in the sense of batting too high up in the order despite they inexperience at test level especially in Vince and Hales case.

I think they should have been introduced lower down the order to build confidence.

It may have not made much difference but think that is the way it should have gone.

It’s not really a similar form of the game.

One involves smashing it to all parts, one is coping with a swinging or spinning ball and surviving

They both use a bat, but that’s it

Recent history is my reasoning. Tell me why Ballance was taken to Australia after his performances v s Africa last summer?

It’s not really a similar form of the game.

One involves smashing it to all parts, one is coping with a swinging or spinning ball and surviving

They both use a bat, but that’s it

Funny how many players play all 3 formats of the game very well.

The fundamentals are the same. You get more time in test cricket and there a lot less restrictions on the bowlers.

We simply haven't given our excellent ODI players a fair crack over frankly very poor alternatives. It's a crime 2 of them have packed in red ball cricket IMO.

The fundamentals are the same. You get more time in test cricket and there a lot less restrictions on the bowlers.

We simply haven't given our excellent ODI players a fair crack over frankly very poor alternatives. It's a crime 2 of them have packed in red ball cricket IMO.
Some do. Some don’t

So much ridiculous attention on the recent contracts by Rashid and Hales, like its the end of test cricket

Neither are remotely good enough for test cricket, and have been told they aren't near the side.

Good luck to them, they have made the right decision.

Absolutely agree with Hales in particular who struggles when teams bowl a consistent off stump line with slips in place. If Hales worked day and night and rectifying that weakness (which he may never successfully do) it would be at the expense of working on what he is very good at - one day cricket.

What a load of rubbish. If you have defensive technical flaws they will always get exposed playing test cricket. Whether Hales played 10 tests or 100 he would never score runs against top quality test match bowling who hit the top of off stump often enough. Hales will know that himself and he knows where his strengths lie and the format of the game he needs to focus on.

Last edited:

Back