Alan Shearer: "Leaving Newcastle was the best thing I ever did...."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Behave man. 50 odd penalties. Someone like Kane or Rooney will breeze past that total if they play until they are 45 anarl :rolleyes:
Kane is the only one who may come close.Rooney's finished and has been for some time, a bit like most of ours.

Behave man. 50 odd penalties. Someone like Kane or Rooney will breeze past that total if they play until they are 45 anarl :rolleyes:

Retired at 35 and didn't play a premier league game until he was 22. He had 14 seasons. Rooney is currently in his 15th PL season

And without 58 penalties he is still over 200 goals

On BBC Radio yesterday. He went to Southampton when he was 14/15. It's why he has such a balanced view of life generally and NE footie in particular; rarely has a bad thing to say about SAFC.

I like him. His place of birth wasn't his fault.

Tin hat on.

I like him personally.

Mainly because he was a top class footballer, probably one of England's few genuine world class footballers in my lifetime.

Had everything you would want in a centre forward: good with both feet, quick enough, good finisher, hard as nails, good in the air, brave - but his best quality was desire. Always seemed to get there before the centre half when the ball was swung over into the box.

Easily one of England's best in the last 35 years.

As a pundit, you wouldn't say he has much in the way of charisma but he makes sense.

Also know someone (not particularly well, but well enough to know his opinion) who was a physio at Newcastle. And his opinion is Shearer is a decent fella (the physio is not a mag by the way).

I like him personally.

Mainly because he was a top class footballer, probably one of England's few genuine world class footballers in my lifetime.

Had everything you would want in a centre forward: good with both feet, quick enough, good finisher, hard as nails, good in the air, brave - but his best quality was desire. Always seemed to get there before the centre half when the ball was swung over into the box.

Easily one of England's best in the last 35 years.

As a pundit, you wouldn't say he has much in the way of charisma but he makes sense.

Also know someone (not particularly well, but well enough to know his opinion) who was a physio at Newcastle. And his opinion is Shearer is a decent fella (the physio is not a mag by the way).

The best of the last 50 imo.

Retired at 35 and didn't play a premier league game until he was 22. He had 14 seasons. Rooney is currently in his 15th PL season

And without 58 penalties he is still over 200 goals

Yip fair enough. Even scored 20 odd goals before the premiership. But as I have defended you here I have to address the balance by saying:

1) He has missed more penalties than anyone else in premiership history
2) He has aids and cant get rid of it.

The best of the last 50 imo.

Possibly.

I would say the most destructive club player I've seen was John Barnes - say '87-89.

Bryan Robson was a top class player.

It wouldn't be a popular choice given the general apathy with modern-day football but Rooney has been a class act who will have played pretty much his entire career at one the best clubs in the world - no mean feat.

Thinking about it, I think I agree with you.

Yip fair enough. Even scored 20 odd goals before the premiership. But as I have defended you here I have to address the balance by saying:

1) He has missed more penalties than anyone else in premiership history
2) He has aids and cant get rid of it.

Point 1 is true, but he's also scored more than anybody else. Missed 11 i think

great chance if he's stays in England

Rooney had 107 premier league goals by the time he was Lukaku's age.
Lukaku has 77.
Lukaku is 24 in may, and needs 184 goals to beat Shearer.
Don't see it happening even if he stayed in England for the next 10 years.

Last edited:
I don't mind Shearer you can tell he doesn't take the whole NE rivalry thing seriously. Loves his home town club and gave up the chance of a mantlepiece full of trophies to play for that club. How many of our PL stars can say that?

Shearer was a class striker - if that's all we are judging him on then please be reasonable everyone! 260 PL goals and more impressive for me he managed to change his game and the way he contributed to the side as he got older and his legs started to go. No one is going to beat his goals tally anytime soon. 20 PL goals is a great league season and a player will need 13 of those to get to Shearer.....that's assuming that they stay fit, stay in the team, don't get suspended etc.

And he might be biting his tongue, but he even manages to say Sunderland were 'brilliant' on MOD whenever we win a game. Yes it's not very often but that's our own failings!

There's no better topic to discuss on here for balanced opinions than Alan Shearer.
On the contrary, we all know he was undoubtedly one of the best players of the Premier League era, we just generally refuse to say it and opt to be abusive about him instead. You can't get more balanced than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back